Post Thanks / Like

X pipe and BB for 3.5

What would be the best setup for deep sound and little drone for a 3.5 with an x-pipe?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Funk View Post
    What would be the best setup for deep sound and little drone for a 3.5 with an x-pipe?
    How are you looking to configure the exhaust?
    You can get a magnaflow 2 in and 2 out that has a true X core. For no drone you would need to have mufflers/resonators in the rear. You would need to watch what size tubing is used, 3.5 is easily over exhausted.

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked at the magnaflow x-pipe. Are glass packs considered resonators/mufflers? Will this setup reduce performance?

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked at the magnaflow x-pipe. Are glass packs considered resonators/mufflers? Will this setup reduce performance?
    Glasspacks are a type of muffler, if they are used as a secondary sound control device you would call it a resonator.

You need some back pressure to avoid loss of low end power. IMO a V-6 does not need an X pipe, just a simple crossover will do to balance out the sound so it does not sound so horrible.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the difference between a crossover and the x-pipe? I thought a true x-pipe created backpressure.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the difference between a crossover and the x-pipe? I thought a true x-pipe created backpressure.
    A crossover, H-pipe, equalizer tube, even out the pressure between the two separate exhaust pipes which also makes them more stable reducing the harmonics. It's a hole in each pipe connected by another pipe, the new Challenger 6 speed track pack exhaust has a crossover.
    An X splits the exhaust and is supposed to create a venturi effect. Dug this up, I remember reading the article.

"Hot Rod Magazine, October 2000 did a good report on H vs X. It went into great detail on the science behind how and why they work, the dependencies on cam overlap, intake manifold runner length, exhaust header length, diameter, the whole boat. Then they did a comparison on an engine dyno with a 355cid motor - first trying headers with different diameter tubes on dual exhaust with no crossover at all, then staying with one set of headers but adding an H pipe and then replacing it with a Dr. Gas X pipe. They printed tables of RPM, HP and Torque from 3,000 to 6,000 rpm for all of this. They didn't say much about sound quality, just that the X pipe changed the exhaust note to a noticeably higher pitch. The H pipe increased peak HP by only 2 and that was at 5,800 RPM. The H pipe increased torque by a maximum of 8 ft-lbs at 4,300 rpm. The X pipe had a peak increase in HP by 6 and torque only went up by 3 ft-lbs. Interestingly enough the H pipe setup made more horsepower and torque than the X pipe from 3,700 to 5,400 rpm. Or you could say the X pipe did better at under 3,700 and above 5,400."

Post Thanks / Like
    What type of set up would you recommend using with an H-pipe? Are BB resonated tops and glasspacks too restrictive?

Post Thanks / Like
    What type of set up would you recommend using with an H-pipe? Are BB resonated tops and glasspacks too restrictive?
    I've done a dual system with H pipe using magnaflows and the glasspack resonators, not too restrictive at all for a V-6 . It was done to replace a butchered dual exhaust that was too loud and over exhausted.

Post Thanks / Like
    How much will this setup cost minus the H-pipe?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastin_Bob View Post
    I've done a dual system with H pipe using magnaflows and the glasspack resonators, not too restrictive at all for a V-6 . It was done to replace a butchered dual exhaust that was too loud and over exhausted.

Hrm, that sounds familiar

While this is an older thread, I can attest to the vast improvement to replacing a butchered dual exhaust with Bob's magic pipes! Sounds amazing, all drone is gone.

You forgot to note that the tips were hanging past the bumper!
    2005 SXT 3.5L V6, For mods, pictures and video, check out the car's home page

SoCalLX - " Where Southern California Car Culture Meets Modern Mopar Muscle"

Share This Thread