Post Thanks / Like

3rd brake light not working

I thought the old one was bad, so i bought a new one @$54, and it still doenst work. looked in the manual, but it doesnt list a fuse # for the 3rd brake light. I looked through the fuses, and didnt find any blown. Does anyone know what # the fuse should be or where its located?

Post Thanks / Like
    not sure but i had the same problem. turns out the light wasnt connected when i pulled the rear deck off.

Post Thanks / Like

I just installed it so it should be making connection

but i wonder if it has something to do with led brake lights

Post Thanks / Like
    i would try and test if you even have power at the 3rd brake light. that way you can start to eliminate things. i didnt see anything in the owners manual about the rear lights when i comes to the fuse for the taillights

Post Thanks / Like
    CHMSL is powered by the same circuit as the stop lamps. if they work, the circuit is working up to S348 splice where it splits to left/right/CHMSL.

it might be easier to help you if we knew what you're driving.
    please update your vehicle profile in User CP. thanks.
    Izzy pics

ensure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by fnkychkn View Post
    CHMSL is powered by the same circuit as the stop lamps. if they work, the circuit is working up to S348 splice where it splits to left/right/CHMSL.

it might be easier to help you if we knew what you're driving.
    please update your vehicle profile in User CP. thanks.
    X2. Without knowing what you own, for the sake of arguement, lets say it's a Magnum, Charger, or 2008 and newer 300. Check the decklid/liftgate wiring. The wirring can break from repeated opening and closing. You'll have to undo the rubber boot to examine the wire. But please do update your vehicle profile in the user CP.
    2011 Dodge Charger R/T Plus AWD- Redline - 5.7L Hemi Registry #1650 Tbird100636
    2006 Dodge Charger R/T- Inferno Red - Gone - 5.7L Hemi Registry # 00696 Tbird100636

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to look at the connections today,

I updated my profile. I have an 06 Charger RT.
    I am definetly going to check to see if its getting power. I think when my suitcase broke off the tabs, I must have been getting water in there through the gap. I never noticed anything wet in the trunk, but when I was checking the fuse box in the trunk I could see some residue trails from looks like water dripping down the FATMat stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    as Tbird said, repeated opening/closing of the trunk lid can cause a break in the wires in the trunk lid jumper harness. if no power or no ground at lamp unit, best check that first.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a tester, and there isnt any power at the plug

the trunk opener still works. I guess tomorrow I will start pulling back the black tape and see if I can find where it lost connection.

Does anyone know if this is covered under the extended warranty, or is it something I should try to do myself. I will probably stop by the dealer and have them check my warrranty to see if its covered.

Post Thanks / Like
    depending on which plan you purchased, it may well be covered.

Post Thanks / Like

They said it might be covered if they find its a defect

said they would need the car for about 3 hours, so I am assuming that if they find the wire separated within the hood or harness, they would cover it as a defect. If not, I will have to cover the 3 or 4 hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by QuickD View Post
    said they would need the car for about 3 hours, so I am assuming that if they find the wire separated within the hood or harness, they would cover it as a defect. If not, I will have to cover the 3 or 4 hours.
    It shouldn't take 3-4 hours, all they have to do is pull the boot partially out and find the appropriate wire, and fix it if broken. The wire runs into the body, then to the rear PDC, where there is an internal splice for the brake lights. Should be 1 hour- 1.5 hour tops if it's just the wire to fix. (It can be a little tight with the boot in the way, just be prepapred for a higher charge in labor).

Share This Thread