Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Loose transmission dipstick tube. I think mine is broken.

I found that my transmission dipstick (dealer only) tube is loose. It looks like there is a bracket that holds it to the engine somehow. I can't see it very well because a wire harness loom is in the way.

Is your 5.7L transmission dipstick tube loose? Is this normal? Is there supposed to be an attachment to the engine?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think there is a bracket,make sure you just didnt loose the bolt that holds it in.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are two mounting points Mark. One is a 6mm bolt on the side of the transmission where it enters and the other is a stud that secures the bellhousing to the motor. The bracket is held on with a 8mm nut, just above the starter. You can get to it easy from underneath.
    From wild to extra wild we got you covered with crap ya never knew you needed.

The first 6.1 transformation and it all went down hill from there.

08 route 66 burnout champion 07 Shindig 6.1NA winner. Willow Springs 1:42!!. 11.796 @ 117mph

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Cam; 02-09-2009 at 11:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks cam. That's the one. It's loose at the circle. I'm jacking it now but it's still hard to reach. I need to find some good places to put jack stands in front.

HULK is offline West Coast Style Meets East Coast Power

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn....Cam is good like that!!!

-Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Simans82 View Post
    Compared to your modding addiction, I'm just looking at the coke on the table. You on the other hand, you're more like Scarface.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I found the 2 trangles in front and that's where I put the jack stands. I'm going under now.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I found the problem. The metal is broken. The bolt is there, the grounding wire is attached but the bracket is broken right at the bolt. The bracket is welded to the tube so it looks like I will need a whole new tube.

At least the dealership can fix it from underneath. It would be a pain to do from the top.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder what caused it to break in the first place. Kind of weird.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is weird. It's just a weak point I guess.

Thanks again guys and especially cam. At least now I know how to jack it and put stands under. It was easy on my Durango since there's a frame. This thing scares me.

I wonder if changing the tube requires any ATF-4 change?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMagnum View Post
    That is weird. It's just a weak point I guess.

Thanks again guys and especially cam. At least now I know how to jack it and put stands under. It was easy on my Durango since there's a frame. This thing scares me.

I wonder if changing the tube requires any ATF-4 change?
    some fluid may leak out when the tube is removed. should be less than 1 qt.
    Izzy pics

ensure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fnkychkn View Post
    some fluid may leak out when the tube is removed. should be less than 1 qt.
    Thanks fnky. Have you heard of this breaking? Do you know why? Just a defect in the metal or something?

I think the tube is flexible so even if the engine moves relative to the transmission the tube should just flex I would guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    the engine better not be moving in relation to the transmission or you've got some serious problems.
    has the transmission been out before? the ground stud nut removed for any reason? all i can think of is improper assembly where there was too much stress on the tube bracket. i would have thought it would have broken at the weld.
    btw, steel tubing is not really flexible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fnkychkn View Post
    the engine better not be moving in relation to the transmission or you've got some serious problems.
    has the transmission been out before? the ground stud nut removed for any reason? all i can think of is improper assembly where there was too much stress on the tube bracket. i would have thought it would have broken at the weld.
    btw, steel tubing is not really flexible.
    The transmission has never been out. Everything is working great as far as I know. The ground stud nut has not been removed either. I bottomed out the front suspension once going over some dips. The 2 thick plastic bolt protector wedges on the lower belly shroud/cover scraped a bit. Would that have any affect?

Post Thanks / Like
    none whatsoever. guess it's just one of those things. warranty should cover it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread