Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Moving to Texas! Need info

Hey guys! My name is Frank and I am moving in a few weeks to Texas. I am looking into Katy or Cypress. This will be a blind move as I have never been to Texas. I buddy of mine has opened a business in Cypress and has offered me a position that is too good to pass up. I can see what website tell me about the two areas but I wanted to hear it from the folks who live there/work there. Is it a nice area? A place I would want to raise my 4yr old daughter? How are the people, the schools. How is the price of things? I will be living with my buddy for a few weeks then finding an apartment, what is the price range? What are the good and bad? I will be going out there the beginning of January and my wife and daughter to follow about a month later. Thanks for your time and hope that you guys will welcome me and my family into the club like the wonderful people I have meet while in the FLXC!

Post Thanks / Like
    What????????? You're moving? You gotta call me tomorrow, Frank!
    Lisa. | Owner | Speedlogix
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
    2011 Challenger SRT - gone
    2012 Fiat 500 Abarth - gone
    2009 Challenger R/T - gone
    2006 300 SRT - gone

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I can tell you that the good things about texas is: 1) The food, people in Texas know how/where to eat. 2) A since of family. People will go out of their way to help you as much as they can. I have lived across the US and in different country's and it was the one thing that I missed. (PSSST look into SCLX) that's the good

Bad: traffic..traffic... traffic. I have had friends come from LA, Atlanta, Dallas, and many other major city's and say how bad the traffic is. Advice from me is "don't get in a hurry"

mind you this is my .02

p.s. see if you can get BMC to send me or SCLX a care package LOL j/k

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the SCLX guys will chime in shortly. But from what i remember, Katy is a pretty good area. And Deathtrain is right, we have awesome food, a good sense of community (always depends where you live). And he is right about the traffic, although it really isn't too bad here in DFW. I think the traffic in Austin is worse, but that's just me. When you get settled, make a trip up to DFW. DFWLX will show you around!
    2006 Magnum SRT8
    AFE STage II
    Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats
    Predator Tune

SLP Power Flo Exhaust

"Nothing can bring you peace but yourself" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Post Thanks / Like
    WTF Frank you don't say anything to the locals down here lol.....good luck with everything buddy!! You need to come out to the mopar challenge this weekend and hangout with everyone before you leave!!
    Mods: 6.1 motor with PPP Ported Heads and 224/228 598/578 113LSA, stock tq converter, stock SRT headers with gutted cats, JBA 3in exhaust, LMI hammer design intake. The only 6.1 motor running a 2.82 rear.....Soon to be 3.06 gears.....Installs done by Afterhours Mopar Performance

Post Thanks / Like
    another, very important thing. a lot of people (including us with lx's) in texas own some sort of work utility vehicle. mostly trucks. they help you preform a lot of chores you wouldn't want to dirty your lx doing. but be warned. proper application and usage of these work horses is required. and if yours doesn't work, maybe a friend's will. eh, maybe not, but the other friend's will! hate to present a stereotype of texans, but we do seem to come together when there is someone in need(of being made fun of!) here is deathtrain in his "other" dodge.....

Quote Originally Posted by rcboarder76 View Post
    follow the money, ask the next question and trust no one

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you......JesusChrist and the American Soldier.One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.-UNKNOWN

Post Thanks / Like
    in seriousness, katy and cyress are good areas, but i would definately go around, maybe with your friend and look around, check stuff out. just to get a lay of the land and make a more informed decision. we have plenty of people in both parts of town though, and they will be able to get you started.

Post Thanks / Like
    i live in katy, have since 1981. i've watched it grow. i spend a lot of time in cypress too. have tons of friends and church up there. feel free to shoot me a pm and i'll get you my email address. you can't go wrong with either area. i toy with moving up to cypress. i'm sure if i lived in cypress i'd toy with moving to katy. lol

either way, be sure to join SCLX.

Rob
    rob@spacecitylx.com
    Space City LX, Houston's Premier Modern Mopar Enthusiast Organization
    The Cars Bring Us Together... The People Set Us Apart
    Gathering Owners... Connecting Enthusiasts

Lone Star Mopar Fest
    Billet Technology

Post Thanks / Like
    Stealth is a vast knowledge of the west side of town. But he has a 300 so bear with him a bit. Oh so do you, never mind. Also FreebirdSRT lives in Katy, in an apartment complex, very nice. He has quick access to I-10 if you need that.

You really are going to enjoy the area. Tons to do and SCLX is a great union of motorheads, not just LX's.

What type of bizz is the friend starting and where is it at? That may help us get you some better info. I would recommend spending some time renting before you decide your final nest.

Best of luck.

Randy
    2007 Road&Track Charger
    Billet Technology*AMG paddles*AFE II*Jina SSE
    Eibach&Koni*FR wheels*SRT8 hood #993*Predator
    Danko*Hurst paint & body*Wings West

Post Thanks / Like
    I MOVED HERE FROM CALIFORNIA FOR SCHOOL AND MOVED BACK TO CALI.AFTER A YEAR I MISSED TEXAS AND MOVED BACK.THE PEOPLE DOWN HERE R SO NICE,COMPARED WHERE I CAME FROM.U WILL LOVE TEXAS IF U MOVE DOWN HERE WITH AN OPEN MIND NOT ALREARY OPINIONATED.ALWAYS REMEMBER WE DO EVERYTHING BIGGER DOWN IN TEXAS.

2007 Charger Road & Track R/T

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all guys! My buddy is the owner of trulli Mobile, a light duty service provider for AAA and other motor clubs in the Huston area. Has been there for about a year. I worked for his father for a few years here in South Florida driving a wreaker. A large tow provider in the Huston area has had some problems and has now lost his contract with AAA and Tommy has been granted the contract. Tommy wants no part in the “tow” side of the business and has asked me to manage the operation which after long thought I have agreed to. The plan is to right now run under the 3 truck minimum required to have a contract with AAA and then expand from there. It will be long days and even longer nights, but in the end it will be well worth it. God willing everything goes to plan, we are looking into running 4 light duty and 6 wreakers within the year.

Post Thanks / Like
    WRECKERS R EVERYWHERE OUT HERE.COULDNT BELIEVE IT WHEN I MOVE OUT HERE AND SAW IT FOR THE 1ST TIME. U'LL B FINE.HOUSTON LOVES THERES WRECKERS,CAUSE THERE EVERYWHERE.GOOD PAINT JOBS TOO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I drive a wrecker downtown and yes we are everywhere, especially once you get out of downtown (nor far out either lol) you will be dealing with mostly AAA i assume so you dont have to worry about the other trucks. as for the katy cypress area both are great, i have lived in both but prefer cypress over katy (currently in cypress/tomball area) but just my opinion

I'm not sure if his Magnum will fit in my parking space.
    2008 Magnum R/T, Brilliant Black
    2011 Durango Citadel, Brilliant Black (as of 3/12/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyLittleSister View Post
    another, very important thing. a lot of people (including us with lx's) in texas own some sort of work utility vehicle. mostly trucks. they help you preform a lot of chores you wouldn't want to dirty your lx doing. but be warned. proper application and usage of these work horses is required. and if yours doesn't work, maybe a friend's will. eh, maybe not, but the other friend's will! hate to present a stereotype of texans, but we do seem to come together when there is someone in need(of being made fun of!) here is deathtrain in his "other" dodge.....
    Don't see many of these pushmepullyou pickups any where else but Texas! LOL
    Sheldon@USWForged.com
    Check Out our Latest Wheel Designs
    Visit Our USW Forged Vendor Section
    713.680.8170 main
    2855 Mangum Road Suite B208
    Houston TX 77092

Arrington forged 392\ProCharger D1SC (11.20/124mph)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    I drive a wrecker downtown and yes we are everywhere, especially once you get out of downtown (nor far out either lol) you will be dealing with mostly AAA i assume so you dont have to worry about the other trucks. as for the katy cypress area both are great, i have lived in both but prefer cypress over katy (currently in cypress/tomball area) but just my opinion
    Right now he is running 3 light duty, AAA has given him a 1600 CPM contract to keep him busy. Add the other motor clubs he has right now and thats good call volume. He ordered two rollbacks and one Dynamic and is awaiting them to get going. He is happy just running AAA calls. We were talking the other night and I asked him about rotaion calls, cuase thats where the money is down here. He was telling me that you could have 3,4 or 5 truck ruch to the job and you have to give the officers tokens and then you draw to see who will get the job? I was like thats F'd up. Here, first one to the job gets it. So he dosent care to much about that. He is happy running 30-50 road calls all day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread