Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Locked keys in Car, Scary easy to get in

I locked my keys in the Magnum yesterday. I went looking for a coat hanger to see if I could eventually get the door unlocked. What I discovered scared the heck out of me. It took me a total of 10 seconds to unlock the door by slipping the hanger in between the window and seal right near the lock. Pushed down, pulled up ONCE and it was unlocked! Seems there should be a guard in the door to prevent this sort of tampering.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    You'd think so...
    Bright Silver 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
    Laramie 4X4 - 5.7L HEMI MDS- Fully loaded

Bright Silver 2005 Dodge Magnum RT
    GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN...
    It's Best was 14.286 @ 97.43 MPH 1/4 Mile

Black 1994 Pontiac Firebird Formula (Black Betty)
    12.017 @ 111.54 MPH 1/4 Mile

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought that all the newer vehicles; ie. late 90's and later had a guard built into the doors to make this sort of opening very difficult, or impossible.
    So much for what I thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, but Pete was using one of those rare coat hangers that you can only get from a dry cleaner. That's the only reason it worked so quickly.
    billapex
    '05 Magnum RT (Inferno Red)
    Magnaflows, resonators removed, K&N, modified airbox
    14.68 @ 95.56mph
    '89 Mustang coupe opentrack race car, 475hp, 2,800lb., 335s all around

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Locking the doors is about as physically secure as your car is going to get. Making the doors near-impossible to open with a coathanger just keeps you out, not the kid who knows how to work a slimjim or a coathanger, or the punk with a rock and some fast sneakers on....
    I worked for a locksmith back in college, and the hardest cars to get open were the ones owned by pr!cks who wouldn't leave you alone long enough to pop the lock. "Watch the paint!, This won't break the lock, will it?" We had a gag sign in a few of the service vans that showed how much we charged ($35), how much we charged to watch ($45), and how much we charged if we let you help ($85).

Post Thanks / Like
    I found a quite tamper proof method in the late 80s...
    Get a dead battery with shaved door handles.

doah!
    I'm still shootin, man!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grinner
    I found a quite tamper proof method in the late 80s...
    Get a dead battery with shaved door handles.

doah!
    Hahah so did I. I put in a remote terminal that I could hook the pos jumper cable to. Used plexiglass as an insulater. Work damn well.
    The Vehicle Formally Known as JamminWagon

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, so they get the door open. They can swipe what's inside but they ain't going anywhere without the key.

Post Thanks / Like
    One more mod for the list! Honey...wheres the checkbook?

MY MEAT WILL MELT IN YOUR MOUTH....NOT IN YOUR HANDS! ENJOY THE Q.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well if you manually pull the lock up the alarm will go off when the door gets open, and if it doesn't well I dunno because my factory antitheft system does, and it's nothing extra.

Post Thanks / Like
    So let me get this straight...when your key was in the locked car, you were really hoping the hanger would work. Once it did, you were really wishing it hadn't?
    Last edited by dansk; 06-29-2005 at 07:33 AM. Reason: spelling error

Post Thanks / Like
    Something like that. Really I didn't think it would be THAT easy. I figured something more like 30 minutes later I finally get a lucky twist and get in. Not a 10 second, you look like a pro that has done this a thousand times.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess at that stage of attempted entry to the car it's better to make it a little easy. Car manufacturers and insurance companies mainly care about someone stealing the car, driving away and crashing into someone else inflicting liability on the owner.

Post Thanks / Like
    resuscitating an old thread

Locked my keys in the Magnum today, there they were in the cup holder. Now I've had some experience locking keys in cars, back in the day I'd do it all the time, to the point where I'd keep a rusty old coathanger hanging off my bumper just in case. My Alero I could literally open with a stick down the windshield.

First time with the Magnum, I was anxious because I've never been locked out of this one (older and wiser I suppose) Anyhow, it has to be one of the easiest lock outs ever. Two or three tries, and I was back in. I found this thread and it gave me some confidence

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to know, but as for stealing my car, 1 look at the odometer will probably convince them to leave it and look for a nice low miles Camry.
    FRI Sidewinder cam, Dynatec Headers , BorlaCatback ,TDP - 93 octane dyno tune, 333rwhp/350 ft lbs, Police Pack Oil Cooler, SRT 8 Struts and Nivo's ,Hotchkis sway bars,B Woody end links, 290,000 miles, 275/40/20 Ventus ST's , 1/8th mile 7.707 sec /90.19 mph -- 05 QC4X4 Ram 205,000 mi . Never Trust a Fart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread