Post Thanks / Like

Hellfire cam 5.7

So I've been searching around for a little bit with little luck trying to find out how the hellfire cam works in the 5.7 with stock heads. I wanted to know what kinda of gains it will give by itself. I have found a bunch of people who installed it with new heads and long tubes and got impressive numbers.

I want to keep my mds and i found a few people who have kept mds with no problems.

If anyone has dyno numbers or improvements at the track thats what I am looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably about 40-50rwhp on the stock heads.....less if you keep the stock exhaust manifolds.
    BFNY Performance
    9515 Detroit Rd,Cleveland Ohio 44102
    440-787-7235 8am- 5pm

BFNYPERFORMANCE@YAHOO.COM
    RIP NHDave
    RIP LOU1355

Post Thanks / Like
    can the hellfire retain mds?
    its a pretty nice cam however. seen some good results with it

'99 FRC Corvette - Far From Stock
    '06 Silver R/T R&T Fully Loaded [SOLD]
    ->FRI'd with Street/Strip Heads + Scud Camshaft<- CTP Spacers + 09 Eagle Manifold
    -FRI Custom Stepped LT Headers--Getrag 3.06 LSD--DIABLOsport Predator--Powerbond 25% Underdrive Pulley--ProTorque 2800
    -FRI PolyMounts--GSM Cold Air Intake--180Tstat--RTJunkieNOESP--MoparTCM--PEDDERS Touring Kit--Billet Tech Throttle Body
    Best ET: 12.490 sec @ 113.58 mph +400 DA, 4000 RaceWeight

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeiwin86 View Post
    can the hellfire retain mds?
    its a pretty nice cam however. seen some good results with it
    Yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can afford not to have MDS, do it. NO valvetrain noise. Man i hated those noisy MDS lifters.
    2012 Dodge Charger

PB 1/8 run: 7.92 @ 86.92 * 1.76 60' on street tires with DA at 1786 - All Stock

Current mods:

Custom tune by Lxmodguy, Stage II VB, Corsa Extreme Exhaust and LMI true CAI

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi31 View Post
    Probably about 40-50rwhp on the stock heads.....less if you keep the stock exhaust manifolds.
    I have a full srt exhaust, afe stage 2, 180 tstat, and a diablo.

Would I need to have it tuned or can I run it with 93 cai tune?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Heat View Post
    I have a full srt exhaust, afe stage 2, 180 tstat, and a diablo.

Would I need to have it tuned or can I run it with 93 cai tune?
    nono....you WILL need a tune.......it will not play nice without one.You have SRT headers as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    That cam rally wants more up top than the stock heads will give it. If you are set to stick with stock heads for some time, then go with a sidewinder.

-R

Post Thanks / Like
    anyone able to quote the base specs on that cam?

Post Thanks / Like

"Hellfire
    - (5.7 - 6.1) Small lifts with healthy durations make this a solid midranger performer that should work w/ MDS. This thing will let people know you have a cam because its fairly lopey and even more so in a 5.7 while in a 6.1 its not so bad. Does very well with power adders such as turbos, blowers, and nitrous.

MDS Friendly - YES
    Tuning Considerations - B&G, SMT6, and PSCII (*Note - tuning the 5.7 will be more of a task while the 6.1 isn't bad at all)
    Specs - 216/220, 528/531, 114 LSA"

This is from FRI's subforum.

Post Thanks / Like
    nono....you WILL need a tune.......it will not play nice without one.You have SRT headers as well?

Yeah I have the srt headers mids and catback.

"Hellfire
    - (5.7 - 6.1) Small lifts with healthy durations make this a solid midranger performer that should work w/ MDS. This thing will let people know you have a cam because its fairly lopey and even more so in a 5.7 while in a 6.1 its not so bad. Does very well with power adders such as turbos, blowers, and nitrous.

MDS Friendly - YES
    Tuning Considerations - B&G, SMT6, and PSCII (*Note - tuning the 5.7 will be more of a task while the 6.1 isn't bad at all)
    Specs - 216/220, 528/531, 114 LSA"

This is from FRI's subforum.
    Thanks for all the help

Post Thanks / Like
    i know this doesnt quite belong....
    but what do you get out of much larger exhaust duration?
    my custom cam has like ...(ugh now i have to go dig up the card..)
    WAY more exhaust duration and lift than the intake.
    its definately a top end "fat" cam, and the lifts in general are large, but what makes it distinguished from what ive seen is the longer than average exhaust numbers.....
    my speed shop picked it for me, and im just curious about what you would specify big exhaust for.

have i been redundant enough? lol
    dont get me wrong, i love the cam, but a lot of the numbers i see have the exhaust and intake numbers pretty similar, unlike mine.. but let me tell you, it tears

i idid request to have a lopey cam, and im wondering if they specified this as part of it, or if that has more to do with the ICL

*edit*
    this peaks my interest and spurs my thoughts because of the numbefrs i see on the hellfire. similar trend to mine even tho i think mine has a little bigger lifts...

found it
    .547 .556
    222.00 230.00
    116 icl
    straight up

running great with my decked heads, but like i said, im craving a verter or some gears for the down low
    Last edited by dudeiwin86; 12-01-2008 at 11:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    having a larger exhaust profile helps for engines with artificial atmosphere, AKA boost, or N20. since these engines dont have to worry about pulling the charge into the cylinder, as its pressurized, but you can only cram so much air through an open exhaust valve given pressures in the cylinder. this means the exhaust duration has to be longer. make sense? this is a somewhat basic explanation, someone more knowledgeable on cams can better explain.
    http://www.lxforums.com/board/signaturepics/sigpic18566_2.gif

Post Thanks / Like
    Being in Southern California, how difficult would it be to pass the smog dogs with one of these cams?
    2007 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T Sublime #896
    -332rwhp/370ft/lbs on Dynojet,AFE Stage II,custom tune,BT Oil Catch Can, Flowmaster 40s, no resonators,JBA shorty headers, HHP cats/midpipes,
    - Best E.T to date: 13.11@103.8

Post Thanks / Like
    same as stock from all of my experience.
    mine with the super big exhaust lifts (if that even makes a difference) passed the tailpipe sniffer with high flow cats in.

for whatever reason the ob2 wouldnt register... might have to do with custom tuning? i dont know... but the place was like "oh well, ive seen this on a lot of new cars.... we can do it this way..." and did it old school... i didnt complain.

either way..... passing is no problem as far as emissions go

Share This Thread