Post Thanks / Like

Brake dust shields - are they the same for all LX's?

UPDATE: My questions are answered. The fronts all appear to be the same, and the part numbers are in the first thumbnail below. The rears are all different, and they're part of the parking brake assembly. Part numbers are in the thumbnail in post #10.

I can only find one part number listed for left and one for right in the parts manual:

Thumbnail
    Click to view the original image

And on the rear, I can't find the part at all - neither could my dealer's parts guy yesterday.

Thumbnail

Anybody confirm if they're the same? I'm planning on putting SRT brakes on an R/T, and R/T brakes on an SXT. I'll leave everybody's dust shields where they are, if they're all the same.

If they're not, can anybody point me towards the part numbers for all four SRT dust shields?
    Last edited by Junior; 11-17-2008 at 03:54 PM.

- Click above for my HEMI Registry page -

Post Thanks / Like
    those shields look exactly like mine.
    "LxF welcomes with open arms all members, regardless of social status, creed, color, sexual preference, or anything else. The only thing we discriminate against is douchebags."

Check out Darth Hemi in the LxForums Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, thanks Matt. Yours are the stock ones from your car originally, right? Of course with some modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    yes they once looked like that :D

Can't say for sure the bolt holes all line up but the pics in the diagram look awful familiar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okey doke - and the talk I remember about grinding away a portion of the rear dust shield I think only applies to mounting the Wilwoods on the rear, is that your understanding?

Post Thanks / Like
    The only sure way to tell is give your parts guy the vin (actually last 8 numbers I think) off your car and he can look the number up, then get someone to give you an SRT Vin (you can get one off e-bay) and then compare numbers. If they are the same you are golden.
    WWW.DodgeMagnumGrille.com
    Quality.....Service.....Satisfaction

Makers of the "Original Honeycomb" & "True SRT" grilles for your SE,SXT or RT. Custom made grilles for your SRT Magnum also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Okey doke - and the talk I remember about grinding away a portion of the rear dust shield I think only applies to mounting the Wilwoods on the rear, is that your understanding?
    yup.

HULK is offline West Coast Style Meets East Coast Power

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MattRobertson View Post
    yup.
    Hmmmmm, that is quite surprising to me. Every time Ive seen an SRT, they seem to have the rear Brembo caliper mounted in the same position as the Wilwood caliper.... would surprise the heck out of me that a Brembo can fit without dust shield modification where as the Wilwood cannot.

Learn something new everyday I guess!

-Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Simans82 View Post
    Compared to your modding addiction, I'm just looking at the coke on the table. You on the other hand, you're more like Scarface.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I should be able to confirm within a day or so - but maybe not this afternoon, because I tore the garage apart to make room to work, and now I have to figure out how to get it all back in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I found out a few things - apparently the fronts are all the same (or at least between the 5.7 and 6.1), but the rears are different. We couldn't find them, becasue they are part of the parking brake assembly. Once you go to that page of the parts manual, many options are available. See below.

I'll post some pictures later this evening of what happens when you try to use the wrong one, but I'm off to the dealer to get the right ones.

Thumbnail
    Last edited by Junior; 11-17-2008 at 04:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SublimeDaytona268 View Post
    Hmmmmm, that is quite surprising to me. Every time Ive seen an SRT, they seem to have the rear Brembo caliper mounted in the same position as the Wilwood caliper.... would surprise the heck out of me that a Brembo can fit without dust shield modification where as the Wilwood cannot.

Learn something new everyday I guess!

-Pat
    It would be based upon the caliper mount spacing and or the size of the lugs on the caliper. The clearance of the FSL caliper is based upon that as well as whatever centering offset is different from the two rotors. Gotta remember that one is an oem specific build and the other a universal caliper fit adaptation.
    TCE
    Your one stop...for Wilwood brakes.

* Corvette * Lightning * Impala SS * Focus ST * Marauder * 350/370Z
    * MINI * Challenger * WRX * Super Duty * SHO * Mustang *...and more!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jr - I had to trim my 5.7's to fit the 6.1 bits. They are differnt.

-R

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobAGD View Post
    Jr - I had to trim my 5.7's to fit the 6.1 bits. They are differnt.

-R
    Yessir. I just ordered two for the 6.1 but they won't be here until tomorrow.

I may change my mind and just grind these, but all my R/T parts are going on an SXT, so I think I'll just get the new ones so I don't have to do the grinding twice - assuming the SXT's would likewise need to be ground to fit the R/T's calipers.
    Last edited by Junior; 11-17-2008 at 04:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    the SXT front backing plates are larger than the rotors, so i bet theyre the same as the RT's. the rears, well.. they're probably different.
    http://www.lxforums.com/board/signaturepics/sigpic18566_2.gif

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's what I had to do to get the rears to fit on the 5.7L Parking brake Adapter (backing plate):

Here's the overlap:

So you have to take off the assembly:

Grind this part out (switched sides for this picture):

And here's how it clears (this is the test fit - I cleaned up the edges and painted them):

Or, you can pay about $50 for the proper ones that are made to clear the Brembos. No pictures of those, though.

Share This Thread