Post Thanks / Like

How To Bed In Your Brakes *

Are you tired of expensive brake jobs?

Want to save $$$ over the next few years.

Want to keep your brakes in tip top condition?

If you answered YES, then this article is required reading:

How To Bed In Brakes

(new cars; after a brake job; pulsating brakes)

I run a fleet; this procedure has saved me thousands of $$$$.

(with thanks to Dave Zeckhausen @ Zeckhausen Racing)
    Patrick - Video: Racing in the Rain ........ Latest Mods..... 2015 Hellcat on its way!

"Racing is the best way to convert money into noise"
    Thanks fnkychkn thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Rider
    Are you tired of expensive brake jobs?

Want to save $$$ over the next few years.

Want to keep your brakes in tip top condition?

If you answered YES, then this article is required reading:

How To Bed In Brakes

(new cars; after a brake job; pulsating brakes)

I run a fleet; this procedure has saved me thousands of $$$$.

(with thanks to Dave Zeckhausen @ Zeckhausen Racing)

From another thread http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=18000 there seems to be some "brake judder" some of us are experiencing at high speeds --

is it possible to "re-bed" the brakes and get them back to normal using the "Bed in" procedure?

As you say, this may save a lot of time and money and frustration.

(I'm surprised that this post hasn't had one reply since originally posted in June -- if this is the answer to my (our) high speed braking issue, thank you for the information, NR)
    6.1L HEMI #622 '07 TorRed MSRT8 1/165= TORRED >< 6.1L HEMI '10 Silver Jeep GC SRT8=4X4JET
    MSRT8 owners http://www.lxforums.com/board/group.php?groupid=24

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BragonMyMag
    From another thread http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=18000 there seems to be some "brake judder" some of us are experiencing at high speeds --

is it possible to "re-bed" the brakes and get them back to normal using the "Bed in" procedure?

As you say, this may save a lot of time and money and frustration.

(I'm surprised that this post hasn't had one reply since originally posted in June -- if this is the answer to my (our) high speed braking issue, thank you for the information, NR)
    You can do this procedure any time - not just with new pads.

As soon as any of my employees complain about "judder" or "pulsing" or say the words "warped disc", I take the vehicle out to a country road and bed in the brakes.

Warped discs are rare on street cars and are mainly caused by technicians lugging the nuts on with an air wrench with no torque settings.

I have saved thousands of dollars with this basic procedure. And - I enjoy doing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info, thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to use that procedure this morning... shortly after the MSRT8 arrives.
    Still in love with my first wife, and first car ('68 Charger)... Still have the wife!

Member #4079.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoofyTimL View Post
    I'm going to use that procedure this morning... shortly after the MSRT8 arrives.
    Wow! 07 SRT8 , don't crash it doing this, would be a shame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just installed new rotors and pads. going to give this a shot. Dont want any steering wheel nonsense again.

Yes holy thread revival i know haha.
    2006 Dodge Charger R/T
    Road & Track Package
    Mods:Stack Performance Bullet CAI - 180* Tstat - Diablo Predator Perf CAI 91 tune - BT Hood Emblem - 6K HID's - Flowmaster Exhaust - SRT Suspension

Post Thanks / Like
    I read this helpful thread and re-bedded my brakes last Sat night after work. I noticed that I was getting some shudder when high speed braking recently and she has been smooth ever since... Thanks Patrick!

+1 for the Thread Revival.

Vossen CV3,Trufiber hood,AFE Stage 2 cai, Sidewinder cam, Toona Tune,SRT Headers, MF mids & Corsa Xtreme catback, Tranzformer, 6.1 Pulley & Timing chain, SRT 2pc fascia & Xenon rear lip, Bilstein Shocks SRT Springs, Petty's strut bar, Police sway bars, 3.06 gears, 20% tint, Demolded & Rebadged, 180 tstat, BT catch can, egr delete, shifter & chrome gear cover, T rex 3x chrome grille, TKutz engine cover insert, Eclipse headunit

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried last night...no improvement at all...actually did the whole routine 2 times...no difference. :(

Dealer checked all the rotors...no run out (well, within acceptable parameters). may have to change pads and try again.

My judder is only when decelerating between 60 and 35 km/h.

Post Thanks / Like
    My rotors and pads came out of the trash. My buddy Rich Miller complained that his rotors were warped and was replacing with slotted and drilled ones. I put his bad ones on and bedded em. Now they have 65,000+ miles and are still perfect.
    FRI Sidewinder cam, Dynatec Headers , BorlaCatback , 93 octane dyno tune, 333rwhp/350 ft lbs, Police Pack Oil Cooler, SRT 8 Struts and Nivo's ,Hotchkis sway bars,B Woody end links, 295,000 miles, 275/40/20 Ventus ST's , 1/8th mile 7.707 sec /90.19 mph -- 05 QC4X4 Ram 205,000 mi . Never Trust a Fart

Post Thanks / Like
    My breaks were squeaking all the time. I tried this and the squeaking has stopped. Thanks :D

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always done this with new brakes. Never on used that are experiencing issues. My 2011 Caprice patrol vehicle is having issues. I will try it and see if I cant save the city ANOTHER brake job on this car.
    2013 Dodge Charger R/T Road & Track
    BT Catch Can* AFE Magnum Force Stage II 5R Intake* Diablosport Intune I-1000 DCX 93 Oct

Share This Thread