Post Thanks / Like

Question Air bag question? TSB #0800107

Does anyone know the details on TSB #0800107 Air Bag Deactivation? When I left the dealer after general service maintenance the passenger air bag light started going on and off. Since my Mag is one month over warranty it is not covered. The electronic technician said there are 4 strain guages mounted under the seat and when the chassis flexes it can knock it out of calibration. Now I contend, it wasn't doing it before it was serviced, it is possible the carriage lift caused the chassis to flex just enough to knock it out. In any case I would like to know if that's what the TSB is about so I can bring it up if they don't buy the lift idea. They are a good dealer and have always done me right, in fact the service rep owns a Charger and is trying to help me get it done. The price is $95.00 for a recal and the rep agreed with me when I turned it down. I also have a Superchips tune on it and was wondering if a recal would screw up the stock tune saved in the tuners memory. I know you can't flash the computer with a tune on it. Any help on this would be appreciated.
    The Great Zombie Show And Spook Party
    2006 Inferno Red Magnum
    Superchips Tuner
    Borla Exhaust w/5 inch tips
    Mopar CAI

Post Thanks / Like
    That chassis flexes about as much as a bank safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    I floor jacked one side about a year ago and it did flex a good deal! But I don't think it's the chassis as much as it is the floorboard!
    Last edited by xombie; 11-06-2008 at 12:39 PM. Reason: added more

Post Thanks / Like
    *Always* *Always* *Always* return your tune to stock before going to a dealer for -anything-! They can overwrite whatever tunes you have in there very easily.

That would bear repeating several times too.. If they overwrite your code with new images, you have a nice pretty red or blue doorstop that the vendor can either rewrite for you ($$$) or not.

I have a neighbor who didn't undo his F250 diesel tunes and now owns a pretty red brick - I think sc quoted him a couple hundred to rewrite it.

As far as the body flexing? I don't buy it for a second. These things are stout. We had a problem once getting my RT up in the air when we did the headers - 2 different types of jackstands, one set went a lot higher and we ended up with the car very happily sitting on 3 of them, and the 4th wouldn't go high enough to touch the car. I saw no evidence of any flex anywhere.

I think it's going to be 'pay the freight' or leave something heavy on the passenger seat, or ignore the light.

Mike
    "Now, I may not be an expert either, but I do lay the keyboard down on occasion, wipe the donut crumbs off my face, put my pants on and go outside into the light... and work on the car." - MattRobertson
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v619/MikeEast/
    (AirHammer, FRI Sidewinder, JBA shortys/highflows, Zoomers, Diablo, Labonte, Pedders, RazorsEdge, HSP Mounts, Silver Box,BT PinkThingy, AMG Paddle Shifters) 3.07 SRT rear, 13.302@106.15

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike, I do specifically state do not touch the computer so harshly that it's already noted on the work order when they pull it up. But I take the tuner with me just in case and in every instance I stand there and watch them. Believe me...nobody touches my car where I can't watch them! I don't even let them wash it! That's how I roll! But I digress I'm really interested in details about TSB #0800107. Anybody know what that's about?
    Last edited by xombie; 11-06-2008 at 01:41 PM. Reason: added more

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never heard of body flex making the sensors go out of cal. What service were you in for?

Post Thanks / Like
    From various engineering analysis:

"Handling: Given Magnum uses Mercedes’s previous E-Class platform, the chassis stiffness and rigidty are top-notch. There are no chassis flex and rattles while the whole vehicle feels very solidly made. With its FR configuration and near-ideal 50/50 balance, Magnum handles surprisingly nimble for its size."

"brakes were fade-free and it was easy to apply precise stopping power. Despite repeated laps by racer-wannabe journalists with more courage than skill, there were no incidents of brake fade. Chassis flex or bend was simply nonexistent,"

and a bunch of others.

It is one of the strengths of the design of the previous MB E-class.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by xombie View Post
    Thanks Mike, I do specifically state do not touch the computer so harshly that it's already noted on the work order when they pull it up. But I take the tuner with me just in case and in every instance I stand there and watch them. Believe me...nobody touches my car where I can't watch them! I don't even let them wash it! That's how I roll! But I digress I'm really interested in details about TSB #0800107. Anybody know what that's about?
    The TSB deals with a passenger airbag disable kit for outside of the USA.
    2011 Dodge Charger R/T Plus AWD- Redline - 5.7L Hemi Registry #1650 Tbird100636
    2006 Dodge Charger R/T- Inferno Red - Gone - 5.7L Hemi Registry # 00696 Tbird100636

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by xombie View Post
    Does anyone know the details on TSB #0800107 Air Bag Deactivation? When I left the dealer after general service maintenance the passenger air bag light started going on and off. Since my Mag is one month over warranty it is not covered. The electronic technician said there are 4 strain guages mounted under the seat and when the chassis flexes it can knock it out of calibration. Now I contend, it wasn't doing it before it was serviced, it is possible the carriage lift caused the chassis to flex just enough to knock it out. In any case I would like to know if that's what the TSB is about so I can bring it up if they don't buy the lift idea. They are a good dealer and have always done me right, in fact the service rep owns a Charger and is trying to help me get it done. The price is $95.00 for a recal and the rep agreed with me when I turned it down. I also have a Superchips tune on it and was wondering if a recal would screw up the stock tune saved in the tuners memory. I know you can't flash the computer with a tune on it. Any help on this would be appreciated.
    Typically what happens is if you leave stuff on the passenger seat it can knock the OCM system out of calibration. Chassis flex??? Uh...no. You'd have to flex that chassis pretty good for that to happen (IE major collision) Needs to be recalibrated with seat weights and StarMobile or WiTech scan tool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the TSB.
    TSB doesn't apply to your problem.

SUBJECT:
    Passenger Air Bag Deactivation

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN IS PROVIDED TO IDENTIFY THE PARTS AND PROCEDURES NECESSARY TO DEACTIVATE PASSENGER AIRBAGS IN COUNTRIES OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES. THE COMPONENT PARTS ARE COVERED UNDER THE APPROPRIATE MOPAR PART WARRANTY.

DISCUSSION:
    DaimlerChrysler Corporation is now offering a passenger airbag deactivation wiring package for the selected vehicles listed above operating outside of the United States. The wiring package is a kit containing all necessary parts and a detailed instruction sheet.

NOTE: Due to U.S. law and the inability for U.S. dealers to legally install these parts on U.S. vehicles, orders for the following parts will only be accepted from dealers outside of the United States.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB/TSB_0800107b.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all!

Share This Thread