Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

SRT Brakes on an R/T: Getting around the knuckle issue. What about a bracket?

So I know a lot of folks try to put SRT Brembos on R/T cars, and you can't do it without the SRT knuckles.

Without getting into the other options (such as Wilwoods, which I have on the front, and love), and without having gotten my hands on the SRT knuckles to compare them, I'm wondering if it would be possible to make a bracket to adapt the SRT Brembos onto the R/T knuckle?

That's essentially what Todd TCE did to adapt the Wilwoods onto the LX - a custom bracket.

If someone could do the same, it would sure open up a lot of doors, and folks wouldn't have to search all over for knuckles.

Before getting into who and how much, would it even be dimensionally and mechanically possible to adapt the SRT brakes onto an R/T with a custom piece?

For me, I'm looking at the rear setup, but I suppose the question applies to the fronts as well.
    Last edited by Junior; 11-03-2008 at 03:07 PM.

- Click above for my HEMI Registry page -

Post Thanks / Like

Follow White Ops R/T on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
    I ride with the Frozen North LX Car Club, you should too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody seen them side-by-side and have any thoughts?

HULK is offline West Coast Style Meets East Coast Power

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmm, if I could take a look at how somebody's Brembos bolt up, I could probably tell you exactly how similar (or not) they are. I did the WIlwood install myself and know/understand exactly how the bracket works, so if I could just see a Brembo caliper up close I could tell you if the bracket idea is even worth pursuing.

I have a feeling it is..... so you might be onto something Jr!

-Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Simans82 View Post
    Compared to your modding addiction, I'm just looking at the coke on the table. You on the other hand, you're more like Scarface.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ I assume that's the SRT mounted, and the R/T in your hand, right?

They appear to be essentially the same except for the brake mounting bosses, don't they?

Maybe I'll shoot Todd a note and see if it's something that's possible. If so, then whether it's practical is a whole other thing, but one step at a time...

Thanks fellas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike, in a couple of days I will have my brakes off, since I am switching my rotors and pads (long story). If you could drop by, we can do a show and tell and maybe figure something out. I have to take my car to the dealer either tomorrow or the next day, then I will be ready. I'll let you know.

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
    My friends call me JONN (usually).

Post Thanks / Like
    Heck you could probably make them!

Yeah, let's get together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey junior let me know how that goes, I'm in the same boat, I have the front brakes on my rt but don't have the knuckles for the back and something like your idea would really be helpfull if you come up with something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting! Keep us post Junior.
    05 RT . Jett Black . SRT Fascias . UAS . AFEII . Zoomers . Forgiatos . Wilwoods ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Maybe I'll shoot Todd a note and see if it's something that's possible. If so, then whether it's practical is a whole other thing, but one step at a time.
    I "could" be done. Perhaps.

The need for the custom bracket is not out of the question. However the hole spacing is but part of the question. You'd also need to know the caliper mount offset relative to the center line of the rotor being used. With all the parts on hand...I'm sure I could come up with something (if possible). Is it really worth it?
    TCE
    Your one stop...for Wilwood brakes.

* Corvette * Lightning * Impala SS * Focus ST * Marauder * 350/370Z
    * MINI * Challenger * WRX * Super Duty * SHO * Mustang *...and more!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd TCE View Post

The need for the custom bracket is not out of the question. However the hole spacing is but part of the question. You'd also need to know the caliper mount offset relative to the center line of the rotor being used. With all the parts on hand...I'm sure I could come up with something (if possible). Is it really worth it?
    Let me send you that PM - wanna run a couple things by you first.

HULK is offline West Coast Style Meets East Coast Power

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd TCE View Post

Todd, if I remember correctly, I believe buying new knuckles/spindles from the dealer is QUITE costly.

If you could make a bracket to allow Brembos to mount up to sotck R/T setups, Im sure that would make the swap A LOT easier for people to do. Heck, before going with the Wilwoods, I almost opted for Brembos, but turned back on it because all I could find at the time were rotors/pads/calipers.... no knuckles or spindles or whatever else was needed.

I think this bracket would be worth your time to make the swap that much easier, but it's obviously up to you. You'd still be getting the business in the end.

Then again, I should make it clearly known that I think the Wilwood setup is vastly superior to the Brembos.... but that's just my opinion!

-Pat

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a front SRT setup on my RT and posted a thread about my observations about the difference between the 2. Here is a link: http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=124628

Hope this helps!
    FOR SALE: 2006 Dodge Charger RT - 6.1 motor, Novi 1200 blower, Treadstone A/A FMIC, 392 fuel pump + KB BAP, Siemens 70# injectors, 190* tstat, 3.06 rear, Diablo Trinity, Tuned by Josh @ HHP, catless mids, Full Brembo setup, SRT steering & electronics, KWV2 suspension, Hotchkis sways, BWoody endlinks, SPC/Eibach UCAs, SRT fascia & spoiler, Trufiber SRT hood, MSRT wheels, 6000k HID lows/fogs, LED headlamps, SRT seats, MyGIG, 1ST COMPLETE '06 to '08 INTERIOR CONVERSION, ... & a bunch of other sh!t I cant remember!

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^Very interesting thread. Someone should give that a try if they have an extra knuckle laying around. Looks like the hole needs to be a tad bit larger to fit the caliper bolt.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread