Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Stalling after fill-ups

I've had this problem where the car will stall out after filling up with gas. It usually goes on for about 2-3 miles when I'm in stop and go traffic right after filling. Someone said before that it was the vapor canister and not to overfill or top off the tank, which I never do by the way. When the pump handle clicks, I'm done.

Is there anything I can check for, or do, to fix this problem? Someone mentioned to drive with the gas cap off for a bit, but that didnt help.

http://www.lxforums.com/board/signaturepics/sigpic23029_3.gif
    MY HEMI REGISTRY PAGE
    Quote Originally Posted by MattRobertson View Post
    ... Do it for fun and enjoy the improved performance, but don't think you made a transaction that makes any financial sense. Use the economy numbers to torpedo the tree hugger who wants to get snooty with you, but know in your heart you did it so you could go faster.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've read about this once before... I believe the guy ended up having the tank replaced by Chrysler under warranty and didn't have any more problems. Not sure what part of the tank was bad though.
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a MARINE.

Sponsored by Billet Technology
    Powered by Franks Racing Inc

New build: 392 stroker, FRI street/strip heads, FRI cam, Kooks Longtubes, PI 3400 TC, SLP LM2 catback, LMI CAI, 09 Intake, CTP port matched spacers and DS loop, MTCM, Ported TB, BCR Coilovers, R1 rotors, Autometer AFR and fuel pressure gauge, Motorad 176* tstat, SRT wheels, carputer.
    [06 300C - 70 Mach1 347 stroker - 77 F250 460 - 85 Ramcharger 318]
    "I spent a lot of my money on booze, women and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mr Incredible had the same thing happened not too long ago.. try looking for his post regarding that
    Current Sponsors and Supporters: Raceline Wheels, Nexen Tires, Airaid, Modified Metal Shifters, Accuair Suspension, Amsoil, Magnaflow, R1 Concepts, Odyssey Batteries, Viair Corporation, American Car Craft, Kicker, The Whistler Group, Toro Wax, California Upholstery, Show & Performance, KP Concepts, Blessed Motorsports, GO EZ.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    My brother's '05 does it too. He just keeps it from filling all the way up, though that seems like a real PITA to me.
    -------------'06 Inferno Red Magnum R/T-------------

Guest Guest
    Yes, this has been discussed quite a lot, I would do a search.

IIRC, crazy_luck went through this, maybe PM him and see what the resolution was.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gooeytek View Post
    I've had this problem where the car will stall out after filling up with gas. It usually goes on for about 2-3 miles when I'm in stop and go traffic right after filling. Someone said before that it was the vapor canister and not to overfill or top off the tank, which I never do by the way. When the pump handle clicks, I'm done.

Is there anything I can check for, or do, to fix this problem? Someone mentioned to drive with the gas cap off for a bit, but that didnt help.
    Are you squeezing in more then you should?? If so chances are thats your problem.

Never fill more then when it clicks. I believe it overflow into the evap canister. open the gas cap and let her run. That happend to me once i never did it again and no prob since.
    Last edited by Hemee; 10-10-2008 at 03:46 AM.
    -05 300c- "Hemee"
    "Go BIG or go Home"

-06 SRT8-

Post Thanks / Like
    fuel control valve {part of fuel tank) is allowing raw liquid fuel to enter the evaporative emissions control system (canister). when the DCPS (duty cycle purge solenoid) is activated, the engine ingests all this extra fuel and causes an extremely rich condition which the PCM cannot compensate for, hence the stalling. once this extra fuel is processed, engine should run normally. only fix i know for this issue is fuel tank replacement.
    Izzy pics

Quote Originally Posted by Canadianknight
    I got it all straightened out with them guys. All good... feel bad for calling 'em a stealership now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never top off my tank, and after the pump handle clicks once, that's it, I dont put anymore in. Should I not fill it up all the way then?

My Mag has only 17K miles, but is over her 3-year mark. Do you think the dealer would still cover a gas tank replacement?

Also, CAI & headers are going in soon, will this help minimize the effects my problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Yes, this has been discussed quite a lot, I would do a search.

IIRC, crazy_luck went through this, maybe PM him and see what the resolution was.

My problem was completely different - it won't let me fill the tank full, it just keeps shutting the pump off when I get to 7/8ths full, but it was fine all summer and now that cooler air is back I'm having the issue again.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

Post Thanks / Like
    I never top off my tank, and after the pump handle clicks once, that's it, I dont put anymore in. Should I not fill it up all the way then? the way you're filling it is just fine.

My Mag has only 17K miles, but is over her 3-year mark. Do you think the dealer would still cover a gas tank replacement? your selling dealer may good will it, depending on how much business you've been throwing his way.

Also, CAI & headers are going in soon, will this help minimize the effects my problem? those mods will have no effect on this concern.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I filled up again today, but I stopped before the gas pump clicked off, leaving it a bit shy of full I guess, and it didnt have the stalling out problem. My fuel gauge showed a needle-width below 1/4 and I put 15 gallons in it. I guess I'll fill up this way from now on.

I do have to add though, that my Mag was hit in the driver-side rear-quarter before, and was fixed. Maybe something in the fuel tank system was bent or moved out of place because of that, and is probably the cause. Although, the problem didnt manifest itself until way after the incident.

Post Thanks / Like
    although it may be a result of the accident, good luck proving it after all this time.

Post Thanks / Like
    gooeytek,

Anymore issues with the car stalling after a fill-up? My wife is having the same issue as of late.
    Sold: 2005 Magnum RT | Midnight Blue | SRT8 Suspension | SRT8 Wheels | Magnaflow exhaust

It rubs the lotion on it's skin, or else it gets the hose again!
    Post Thanks / Like

you might have some sediment in your tank getting stirred up with fill ups, after it settles your good. Had that happen with a truck I have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread