LX Forums Forum banner

Does 5.7L Hemi have timing chain or belt?

59K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Chase300 
#1 ·
After searching this question on a few occasions, I've yet to come up with a difinitive answer...does the 5.7L hemi engine have a timing chain or belt?

#2 ·
the 5.7 and 6.1 have chains you can see them in just about any cam install thread

#3 ·
Chain.

#6 ·
Even some overhead cam engines have chains, some tend to have belt due to the cost factor and leave the additional maintenance to the customer. Besides how many new car drivers hit the 80k mile mark before having to change it? Not many I believe.

But the Mercedes, 112, 113, 272, 273, 276 and 278 engines have chains. Not to mention the AMG engines 156.

Chain is better in my opinion.

#12 ·
You won't.
I have 344,000 on my dodge 4.7L and I've done nothing but used good synthetic oil.
My brother has a '99 Dakota with the old 5.2L that just passed 500K miles. Chain has not been touched.

Some will recommend changing the tensioner out as that has wear items, but likely you'll have another vehicle before you ever have chain issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.