Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

So does the world end tomorrow?

EDIT - Fifteen months later: If this is your first time seeing this, this is an old thread that got bumped up. But it's about black holes and fricking lasers, so have fun.

They're gonna power up the Large Hadron Collider tomorrow, and try to create a black hole. Or something.

Anyone wanna cast bets?

Click this picture for a High-Res version:

This thing sure is pretty though.

Here's a little overview of the scale of this thing. It extends into two countries.

Yeah, I know, I'm being a bit flippant about it, but really there's some cool stuff going on here. I just wish I understood it.
    Last edited by Junior; 11-22-2009 at 07:38 AM.

- Click above for my HEMI Registry page -

Post Thanks / Like
    This a particle accelerator? Looks like a big brother to the one we have at Fermi?

I DRINK ROYAL PURPLE! WHAT NOW?!

> 2006 Silver SRT-8 magnum, adopted 9/9/06 with 36 miles, groups I, II, &III.
    * tinted LED Tails * Mopar Remote Start * Stainless Airhammer * Coated Kooks Longtubes * PPP Heads, Cam, and Converter * Alpine R10 Subs/AoN Enclosures * 20" Black AR 311's w/ Nitto 420's * Corsa cat-back * Front Window Tint * Ratman Hatch Button Mod * Hotchkis Sways * BT Underhood Bling * Polished Intake Manifold * Autodim Drivers Mirror *

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice knowing you guys...the french are making this? There gona throw up a white flag the second it goes bad...
    2007 BB Charger - SOLD

2012 Black Mustang 5.0 6 speed - Current

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    They're gonna power up the Large Hadron Collider tomorrow, and try to create a black hole. Or something.

Anyone wanna cast bets?

Yeah, I know, I'm being a bit flippant about it, but really there's some cool stuff going on here. I just wish I understood it.
    While there are some scientists that think we could be destroying ourselves by using this thing, there were also a number of scientists that felt the same way about the Trinity blast. They felt that a thermonuclear explosion would "ignite" the air and the resultant self-sustaining chain reaction would burn off the earth's atmosphere. Thankfully that didn't happen. I suspect we'll be just fine after the Hadron collider does its thing.

...I hope.

**crossing fingers**
    Alis volat propiis.

Glenn Harper - 2006 Brilliant Black Magnum SRT8
    Mods: FRI Fatman Cam, FRI Full Street Heads, Coated Intake Manifold, Coated Kooks LT Headers & hiflo Cats, B&G Stage II, Corsa Catback, 170 TStat. Various BT interior items & Custom Console Cover by Jina!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Super T View Post
    This a particle accelerator? Looks like a big brother to the one we have at Fermi?
    Yep. But I like "atom smasher" better. Sounds cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by CHARGERTREV View Post
    Nice knowing you guys...the french are making this? There gona throw up a white flag the second it goes bad...
    OK, I'm not above mocking the French, but this is very much an international undertaking. It just happens to be built in France. And Switzerland.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm.... I better check my ammo stash... I wanna be the last to go
    2006 MSRT8 in Brilliant Black, Options I,II,III, Sunroof and Sideairbags, Free Auto On Headlight Mod, Headlights on wth wipers, Highbeams on with Fog Lights, Hacked Nav, MOPAR Remote Start, BLACKEND I-Pass, Tailgate Plugs, 20% Tint Side Front Windows, Smoke LED Tailights, Airhammer CAI, Kooks LoKo Coated headers, Hi-Flow Cats, JBA 3" Cat Back, eibach sways. Fri Ported Intake, Fri Street Heads, Fri Littleboy Cam, P.I. 2800 Stall Converter, Custom Autometer 5 gauge over the visor pod, B.T. 65 Standard Hurst Shift conversion, TommyZ Hood S.N. 2. 180 degree T-Stat, BT Ported TB.

Post Thanks / Like
    OH boy, this should be exciting.
    From wild to extra wild we got you covered with crap ya never knew you needed.

The first 6.1 transformation and it all went down hill from there.

08 route 66 burnout champion 07 Shindig 6.1NA winner. Willow Springs 1:42!!. 11.796 @ 117mph

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Super T View Post

according to wikkipedia thats exactly what it is on a much larger scale man hearing the name fermi lab makes me miss illinois so bad

predator cmr tune, #1 v1 cams by inertia, 3000 stall by inertia, zex 125hp kit by hhp, stock srt cat back, 22" liquid metal turbines aar strips, racing stripes, front and rear mopower spoilers, steady growng collection of bt front badge door sills. honey comb grill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GasGunR View Post
    Hmmm.... I better check my ammo stash... I wanna be the last to go
    No time for that! Black Hole! Poof!

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    OH boy, this should be exciting.
    But only for a millisecond.

Post Thanks / Like
    a millisecond... might get off one round.. ok, I have that taken care of here, no need to run across town

Post Thanks / Like
    So, where exactly is this thing located? Too bad they shut down the one they were building in Texas.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was nice knowing you all!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by moparman53 View Post
    So, where exactly is this thing located? Too bad they shut down the one they were building in Texas.
    The Superconducting Supercollider? I remember when The UofA was bidding for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerChick View Post
    It was nice knowing you all!!!
    Sorry I didn't get to your Halos first, lady.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bah, you guys know nothing of astrophysics.

When they turn that thing on and a small blcakhole forms, it'll only swallow that side of the planet, slowly. It'll take about 6 months to get around to sucking the rest of the planet in.

Unfortunately, the atmosphere will be leaking into the blackhole and we'll all suffocate within days...

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

Post Thanks / Like
    What to point of this?
    R.I.P 05 Maggie RT
    Welcome 05 Z71

CAI, MT's 35's, ProComp 18's, 6" Lift
    06 Harley custom, chopped, dropped and jockied

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Share This Thread