Post Thanks / Like

Attention GM owners! OnSTAR => Bluetooth conversion!!!

You all know me as a maker of LX mods (NoESP and Coolit fan mod). I have a counterpart for GM's.

A good friend of mine had an idea to convert his OnSTAR system in his Caddy to a bluetooth system(since his analog OnSTAR went obsolete and who wants to pay for that anyway?). He's beta tested several units and has just made them available to the general public. I think it will work for any GM that has onstar up to 2007. He made it so you can use your Onstar mirror buttons, microphone, and stereo system, and you and up with an integrated Bluetooth system, much like the UConnect system our LX's have (I think my Daytona might have been the inspiration)
    If you have a GM with OnSTAR as your "other" car, check it out:

www.costartech.com

Plug-n-play for caddy's, and soon to be plug-n-play for all other GMs.
    TorRed Charger Daytona #1754
    Fully loaded
    NoESP, Coolit, tranZformer
    www.zautotech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    cool, I wonder if it works better than the pac-audio one (I here it sucks) I am good friends with the PAC guys, but some of there stuff just.. well sucks..
    "A world full of 100% Prius owners is still a world 100% dependent on oil" ~ E. Musk

Post Thanks / Like
    PAC doesn't make a bluetooth adapter for Onstar - they make a kit to keep onstar for those that are installing an aftermarket head unit, but that's quite different. This mod replaces Onstar with bluetooth, so you can use your own phone, like Uconnect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by noesp View Post
    PAC doesn't make a bluetooth adapter for Onstar - they make a kit to keep onstar for those that are installing an aftermarket head unit, but that's quite different. This mod replaces Onstar with bluetooth, so you can use your own phone, like Uconnect.

I have been doing beta testing for the GM and Chrysler products for them for 10 years..

I know the difference, they have or had a OnStar to Bluetooth kit in beta, might not have been released, as they tend to move onto other things as the market and interest changes.

the reason I know that they had one is that someone in my office with a Saturn asked me about that several weeks ago when the CA handsfree law went into place and I talked to PAC about it, because Ben didn't want a Parrot or similar, he wanted to use his existing, though not active OnStar stuff...

the Onstar retaining kit sucked, I had it and I hated it, the sound was not adjustable and half the time I didn't get a connection..

hence my comment.. PAC makes good stuff, but some of it, meh..

It's a very good idea your friend has and I for one will point anyone with a GM in his direction, I am all for OEM integration of aftermarket stuff
    Last edited by Mr. iNCREDIBLE; 08-04-2008 at 08:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't know that PAC even tried. I know you did lots of beta testing for PAC's REC replacement interfacees. Maybe they didn't see a need for it, as their products mainly interface to aftermarket stereo systems.

As for my friend's version, audio quality is as good, if not better, than my Uconnect (the mic in the onstar mirror is rather expensive, dampened, and directional, unlike the cheap mic from most kits) Volume is adjustable using the stock volume control/steering wheel buttons. All 3 OnStar buttons have uses - making calls with the phone's voice dial, receiving calls, muting, call waiting, 3 way calls, etc.

Basically it interfaces the car's existing hardware to a Motorola HF850 hands-free kit, so you get all the benefits of the moto kit, but without needing to hack the car, add a mic, a speaker, and that ugly button keypad. Just plugs into the OnStar controller's harness.

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds very cool, like I said, I know lots of GM people, I will point them in his direction..

I beta tested lots of stuff for PAC over the years, had a 2000 Silverado Z71 and a 2002 Impala.. Then the 300 and also now a Toyota Camry Hybrid.

Pac- does aftermarket interfaces, but they also do a lot of OEM integration esp with the Imports, because they are getting harder and harder to change out to aftermarket units because of the integrated Nav systems and monitors and such build into the dash..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
    sounds very cool, like I said, I know lots of GM people, I will point them in his direction..

I beta tested lots of stuff for PAC over the years, had a 2000 Silverado Z71 and a 2002 Impala.. Then the 300 and also now a Toyota Camry Hybrid.

Pac- does aftermarket interfaces, but they also do a lot of OEM integration esp with the Imports, because they are getting harder and harder to change out to aftermarket units because of the integrated Nav systems and monitors and such build into the dash..

cool, thanks

Share This Thread