LX Forums Forum banner

Windshield Drain Hole

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  karpins 
#1 ·
My Magnum has a drain hole in the plastic shroud that is attached at the area just below the windshield and has a drain hole that routes water directly into the engine compartment.

Went to the dealer today and he told me that this was normal, I cant believe this !!

I noticed after washing the car that the wiring harness was all wet.

This is the drain hole in the plastic shroud about two inches from the Wiper on the passenger side. The shroud channels the water toward the hole and it drains into the engine compartment.

Does your Magnum drain water into the engine compartment too ?

#3 ·
I looked and mine has it also.

#5 ·
I don't personally see a problem with it. Where else would the water go? We could probably adapt some hoses to it to have it drain lower if we thought it were a problem?

#7 ·
karpins said:
This design pours the water directly into the engine compartment, just above and all over a wiring harness !!

Am I the only one that thinks this is wrong ?
When you drive in the rain where does all the water go when it goes into the grill? :roll: Lots of water blows through there I would imagine.:shock:

#9 ·
I haven't seen this yet but...

I know they use a lot of really good watertight connectors but the thought of dumping water on a connector bothers me, too. There isn't probably a lot of water that gets through that hole though. I like the idea of adding a hose to carry the water below the connector.

#11 ·
Easily a gallon of water during the course of a normal car wash.

I could see it running out from the engine compartment from under the vehicle during a wash and rinse.

All of the water that strikes the windshield is channeled into the plastic shroud and then directed to three drain holes.

The drain hole in the middle receives a good share of the water plus anything that the center drain cant handle is also routed into the opening for the windshield wiper shaft hole that is also directing water into the engine compartment directly adjacent to the firewall.

The firewall, wiring harness and the top front of the tranny are all getting saturated.

#12 ·
I like the extender drain hose idea.
It would need to be able to collect the water from the center drain hole and the opening in the shroud for the wiper shaft on the passenger side.
The drain hole and the wiper shaft hole both drain water into the engine compartment.
Collect the water from both of these sources, and then route it to the bottom with a hose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.