Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mikespy is offline Fastest N/A 5.7L Magnum around!!! SOLD!
    Post Thanks / Like

Torn driveshaft/rearend coupler/damper pics

Made a post a month or so ago about a bad vibration on the highway come to find out i had sheered a bolt in half where the coupler connects to the rear end/driveshaft. Upon further examination i found the coupler to be torn as well where bolts are. I guess the twisting of the drivshaft to coupler has taken it's toll. I replaced with a new one on Thursday and here are some pics of the bad one. So if ya ever get a vibration out the rear... check your coupler/bolts.

2010 SRT8 Challenger...

MODS: Magnaflow Competition exhaust, Roto-Fab CAI.....

Post Thanks / Like
    that's our u joint?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what goes inbetween our propeller shaft and rear axle flange. It dampens vibrations. The shaft has a 3 leg bolt hole pattern and so does the rear axle flange. They are bolted in an offset pattern to coupler. Our u-joint is in the middle of both shafts or propellors.
    Last edited by mikespy; 05-17-2008 at 10:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    i can't imagine even one bolt sheering off when they are encased in a rubber block. i can see the rubber sheering, but not the bolts. did it get hit with some road debris or something? what is the cause?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 65standard View Post
    i can't imagine even one bolt sheering off when they are encased in a rubber block. i can see the rubber sheering, but not the bolts. did it get hit with some road debris or something? what is the cause?
    Nope it sheered in half towards the end of the bolt right before the nut. The bolt part that sheered was inside the coupler part so i guess with 30,000 miles with more than stock hp/tq took it's toll.
    Last edited by mikespy; 05-17-2008 at 10:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a good pic of it from the Manual Tony.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats what happens to you blasted fools and your drag racing!!LOL!! JK'ing! Are there better aftermarket parts and a one piece driveshaft?

Post Thanks / Like
    My SXT has a one piece drive shaft(propeller shaft) Anyone know why they decided to go with the 2 piece on the hemi models?
    Tinted glass, Cut front springs 1 1/4",
    AirHammer HO, Duel Flowmaster 40s, De-molded,
    Sonar LED Tails, Flat black honeycomb grille,
    18" RT wheels & 245/45, No ESP Mod, Predator,
    Innovate WB A/F guage, Ported Lower Intake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyC View Post
    My SXT has a one piece drive shaft(propeller shaft) Anyone know why they decided to go with the 2 piece on the hemi models?
    My guess is the center support makes the whole thing stronger. Thats a long way to go without some support, especially making more power.

It will be interesting to see what the V6 guys run into when they start juicing and boosting their rides more, running what stock Hemi's do and seeing if they fail over time.

IMO, the drivetrain is much better than most factory systems. We are pushing 4 second faster 1/4 mile times, with hardly any issues minus transmission software being a pain, and halfshafts on the SRT.

Mike
    06 Magnum R/T Midnight Blue
    Inertia Motorsports Heads decked .030 (10.3 CR), FRI Hellfire cam, AirHammer, JBA Headers, JBA Mids, JBA Cat-back, Diablo Predator, 6.1 Injectors and rails, ZEX N2O Kit, Nitrous Outlet N2O plate,180* T-Stat, DashHawk, Police Package oil cooler

11.89 @ 116.94, 1.99 60', stock converter and tires http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...m/SCAN0007.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike , there's not an aluminum or carbon fiber drive shaft?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovin' it View Post
    Mike , there's not an aluminum or carbon fiber drive shaft?

There is nothing aftermarket i am aware of bro for the driveshaft nor the coupler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikespy View Post
    Here's a good pic of it from the Manual Tony.

Where did you get this manual from? I can only find the manual to non v8 models.

yeah this same part went out on my car, i have to change it in a hurry too. lol
    Life goes by so fast, so why drive slow.

InferAl is offline "R.I.P. Lou1355 "The Hellbitch lives On"
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper09 View Post
    Where did you get this manual from? I can only find the manual to non v8 models.

yeah this same part went out on my car, i have to change it in a hurry too. lol
    http://www.lxforums.com/board/showpo...22&postcount=1
    2009 Challenger R/T PWR// Aluminum Big Bore 426..PWR// Apache Heads & Cam Installed By BFNY Performance
    SHR Trans Paramount 8.8 & Dominator TC Tuned By Jerseyboy Atco
    Video

Post Thanks / Like

after market D/S shaft

i twisted my d/s 2 weeks ago at the track [winterport,maine] 05 MAGNUM R/T.
    builder bill - paramount performance- had a superduty one shiped to TDPautomotive IN STEUBEN,MAINE IN 4 DAYS GUARENTED UNBREAKABLE FOR I YEAR.
    AGAIN ::THANKS BILL
    RICH MILLER
    TIM BYBEE
    KRC 392ci,ATI SUPERDAMPER W /U/D PULLEYS,E&G MESH GRILL,CABIN FILTER,CERAMIC COATED DYNATECH S.S. HEADERS, BORAL'S125'S,B/B COMPUTOR,B/B trans PKG-W/FLEX PLATE, 3500 STALL,drive shaft,8.8 rear w/3:23 gears,A/R RAZOR'S 18X9'S,M/T 305-45-18'S D/R'S,NX 200 shot-n2o w/remote opener
    HEATER,WINDOW SWITCH,20 lb BOTTLE,85 MM T/B,TCM UPGRADE,PREDATOR TUNER,ILLUM DOOR SILLS,SPEED LIMITER DELETED,6.1 INJECTERS,comp cam #112-000-11,lopy idle,
    ,B/T CATCH CAN.R1 PREM. DRILED/SLOTTED ROTORS/PADS,S/S BRAKE LINES,FORE PRECISION FUEL RAILS WITH BMC S/S F/R fuel CROSS OVER LINES,DGS stage4 grounding system.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought arrington had some solid drive shafts for the lx and chally platform? also arent the 6 speed couplers a upgrade over the auto trans couplers? (I heard or read this somewhere cant recall)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread