Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tip to remove/loosen tie rod end jam nut

Holy crap. I cant get this sob to budge. it's the nut at the end of the outer and inner tie rod. No matter what I do i cant get that nut to budge and cant unscrew the end. I have it separated from the hub knuckle thinking that might allow for more leverage but nothing. Why cant anything be easy....

Any hints? I'm close to puttin git back together and over paying a garage to do it.

Thanks,
    Brendan
    2008 300C SRT8
    Previously: 2005 Bright Silver Magnum R/T

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried pentrating oil, and let it sit for a little while?
    2007 Chrysler 300C

Mods- De-molded/De-badged/Hood to Fender Stripe/SRT8 Rear Deck Spoiler/Billet Catch Can/Fastman Throttlebody/Billet Throttlebody Cover/Diablo InTune 91 CAI Tune/Flowmaster Super 10's/Blastin Bob's GPSSR250 Pipes/LMI Frank IV Intake/R1 Concepts Drilled=Slotted Rotors w/ posi-quite pads/Progress Front and Rear Swaybars/Drake Strut Tower Brace.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good quality socket, breaker bar and cheaper pipe man. SiliCroil creeping oil or the like might help too. Have someone tap on the tie rod end stud with a brass hammer while you have a big bind on it - the oil will get in and it might pop loose.

Good luck, I hate this type of pinch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Holy crap. I cant get this sob to budge. it's the nut at the end of the outer and inner tie rod. No matter what I do i cant get that nut to budge and cant unscrew the end. I have it separated from the hub knuckle thinking that might allow for more leverage but nothing. Why cant anything be easy....

Any hints? I'm close to puttin git back together and over paying a garage to do it.

Thanks,
    Brendan

You may be able to spin the outer tie rod the off the inner with two pipe wrenches after you drop the outer off the spindle.
    5.7L Hemi Registry # 00814

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by X E Ryder View Post
    Good quality socket, breaker bar and cheaper pipe man. SiliCroil creeping oil or the like might help too. Have someone tap on the tie rod end stud with a brass hammer while you have a big bind on it - the oil will get in and it might pop loose.

Good luck, I hate this type of pinch.
    If this ^^^^^^^^^^^ don't get it

well, there's always this

From wild to extra wild we got you covered with crap ya never knew you needed.

The first 6.1 transformation and it all went down hill from there.

08 route 66 burnout champion 07 Shindig 6.1NA winner. Willow Springs 1:42!!. 11.796 @ 117mph

Post Thanks / Like
    And this

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Thanks,
    Brendan
    The first thing you do BEFORE removing the tie rod end from the spindle is loosen the jamb nut. On the left side, rotate the wrench towards the front of the vehicle (wrench pointing down, rotating in clockwise direction looking into the wheel well). For the right side, rotate the wrench towards the rear of the vehicle (wrench pointing down, again in a clockwise direction looking into the wheel well). A pipe on the end of the wrench adds leverage if you don't have the strength.
    2011 Dodge Charger R/T Plus AWD- Redline - 5.7L Hemi Registry #1650 Tbird100636
    2006 Dodge Charger R/T- Inferno Red - Gone - 5.7L Hemi Registry # 00696 Tbird100636

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe these vids will help.
    The tie rod jam nut came off real easy on both of the vids.
    Try reattaching the tie rod arm to the steering arm/knuckle and keep trying to loosen the jam nut.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick responses. I have plenty of tools and pretty much everything mentioned above. I only have 10w40 but that seems to have helped somewhat. I tried loosening it first. I finally got the rod end off but but there is a decent amount of fluid coming out of the boot now. There was a slow leak before, I think my inner rod and/or rack is gone. My force and moving things around havent seemed to have helped too much!

On to the passenger side. Thanks for the wrench direction, TBird. I know righty tighty, lefty loosy but still seem to get caught on this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the video. I wish mine was that easy!

Question fore you guys, how easy should the inner tie rod spin? mine seems to spin extremely easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine moves real easy. Here is a vid of my 300c.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks. Well the passenger was very easy and is already done. Driver side was just a complete bit*h. Oh well.

Does anyone happen to know the p/n number for the inner? I know I can search later just all greased up. There is definitely an issue with my inner and I believe that can be replaced separately if I remember correctly. Thanks for all the help guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heat it up with a torch, it'll come loose right away, get it glowing orange and go from there....

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Thanks for the quick responses. I have plenty of tools and pretty much everything mentioned above. I only have 10w40 but that seems to have helped somewhat. I tried loosening it first. I finally got the rod end off but but there is a decent amount of fluid coming out of the boot now. There was a slow leak before, I think my inner rod and/or rack is gone. My force and moving things around havent seemed to have helped too much!

On to the passenger side. Thanks for the wrench direction, TBird. I know righty tighty, lefty loosy but still seem to get caught on this.
    Just remembered- if the inner breaks loose but the nut doesn't move just lock a pair of vise grips on the inner tie rod an d while holding the vise grips turn the nut. Lube the inner tie rod threads to ease re-assembly. If you have fluid leaking from the rack boots you have a bad rack. The new rack comes with outer tie rod ends.

Post Thanks / Like
    awesome... just replaced the outers for nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread