Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

HELP! Car wont shift out of park?

I went to get into my car this afternoon to go to work, start the car... No problems, Apply the brakes... All is good, Grab the shift knob to drop her into drive and... No worky?

It feels like something is bound up? The shifter will only drop down about an inch and then it stops? I can't get the car into any gear?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Please help, I am already going threw withdrawals not being able to drive my car.

Post Thanks / Like
    BTSI Override

1 - SHIFTER ASSEMBLY 2 - BTSI OVERRIDE

In the event of an electrical failure, the vehicle can be shifted out of PARK by using the following procedure.
    1. Turn the key to the ACC or ON position.
    2. Remove the liner to the cubby bin to the right side of the shifter.
    3. Depress the BTSI override (2)(BTSI Override) on the side of the shifter assembly (1).
    4. While the override is depressed, move the shifter out of the PARK position.
    5. Return the cubby bin liner to its original location.
    5.7L Hemi Registry # 00814

Post Thanks / Like
    have you try removing the "card holder" black piece next to the shifter if you remove it it has a type of "button or switch" that you can stick your finger in their once you press it make sure to down shift to "D"..hope i helped...

and wassup with the shifter^^^^ lol.."got the pic from google image"...

Edit: oops i guess klarmie beat me to it..

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=73876

07-17-2007, 11:10 AM
    kudasai
    medium pimpin

shifter problems and fix
    Well, I am posting this because I have heard of one or two people having the same prolem, and while most people still have their warranty, you wont have it forever. So if this should happen to you, now you have a way to keep from getting ripped off at the stealership. And from what I saw, this will become an issue at some time or another. I don't know if the shifter is common for all the rt's or not, so i posted it here.

Basic situation: car would not come out of park. It would start fine, but just wouldn’t shift. And the shifter felt like it was binding mechanically instead of any electronic inhibits.

After tearing out the trim pieces on the console, I found that there were two pink levers on the shifter.

I pressed the one on the back(per the factory manual instructions) with no luck. However, there is a larger one on the front which was color coded the same bright pink.

After monkeying with it a few seconds, I found that I could swivel it out of the way and engage the shifter. This at least got me on my way until I could find a better solution.

Well today I had the time to take it out and look at it. And a nagging suspicion I had was confirmed. Once I pulled the shifter out, I shook it, and two small pieces fell out.

It seems the large swiveling lever in the front of the shifter works with the ignition lock. It isspring loaded open, and when the key is pulled a solenoid closes, actuates a cable, and pulls the lever to hold the shifter in park. When the solenoid is opened(key back in) the cable goes slack, and the spring pulls the lever open, allowing you to take the car out of park.

And the parts that fell out?

Those would be the spring, and the flimsy plastic arm that broke off. So here we have a spring the size of a dime that can render inoperable a 35k dollar car. Wonderful. Especially since if it fails, it is designed to do just that.

Even better, when I went to the dealer to get another, the guy just laughed and told me that they don’t sell that part, you have to buy the whole shifter for 127 dollars. Don’t get me wrong, I sadly expected that exact response. I just thought its nifty that only when you expect the worst does a 5 star dealer live up to your expectations.

So I decided to fix the problem myself. I used 20 thousandths lockwire that we use on the aircraft, a small hole in the lever, and a few minutes to put everything back together. The pictures should be self explanatory. I actually spent more time typing this and inserting photos than it took to fix the problem, but felt it well worth it. With the cost of a tow, an hour or more labor to have the part installed, scratched interior parts from them doing the work, and worst case a rental car, you could be out 3 or 4 hundred dollars simply because of a poorly designed 50 cent spring.

So even if it hasn’t happened yet, just read and remember. A flimsy as the little plastic arm was that holds that spring, I’m pretty sure that they will be a common problem as the cars start to age.
    Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    B I N G O !!!!!!!!!

Thanks Guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Noid View Post
    http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=73876

07-17-2007, 11:10 AM
    kudasai
    medium pimpin

shifter problems and fix
    Well, I am posting this because I have heard of one or two people having the same prolem, and while most people still have their warranty, you wont have it forever. So if this should happen to you, now you have a way to keep from getting ripped off at the stealership. And from what I saw, this will become an issue at some time or another. I don't know if the shifter is common for all the rt's or not, so i posted it here.

Basic situation: car would not come out of park. It would start fine, but just wouldnít shift. And the shifter felt like it was binding mechanically instead of any electronic inhibits.

After tearing out the trim pieces on the console, I found that there were two pink levers on the shifter.

I pressed the one on the back(per the factory manual instructions) with no luck. However, there is a larger one on the front which was color coded the same bright pink.

After monkeying with it a few seconds, I found that I could swivel it out of the way and engage the shifter. This at least got me on my way until I could find a better solution.

Well today I had the time to take it out and look at it. And a nagging suspicion I had was confirmed. Once I pulled the shifter out, I shook it, and two small pieces fell out.

It seems the large swiveling lever in the front of the shifter works with the ignition lock. It isspring loaded open, and when the key is pulled a solenoid closes, actuates a cable, and pulls the lever to hold the shifter in park. When the solenoid is opened(key back in) the cable goes slack, and the spring pulls the lever open, allowing you to take the car out of park.

And the parts that fell out?

Those would be the spring, and the flimsy plastic arm that broke off. So here we have a spring the size of a dime that can render inoperable a 35k dollar car. Wonderful. Especially since if it fails, it is designed to do just that.

Even better, when I went to the dealer to get another, the guy just laughed and told me that they donít sell that part, you have to buy the whole shifter for 127 dollars. Donít get me wrong, I sadly expected that exact response. I just thought its nifty that only when you expect the worst does a 5 star dealer live up to your expectations.

So I decided to fix the problem myself. I used 20 thousandths lockwire that we use on the aircraft, a small hole in the lever, and a few minutes to put everything back together. The pictures should be self explanatory. I actually spent more time typing this and inserting photos than it took to fix the problem, but felt it well worth it. With the cost of a tow, an hour or more labor to have the part installed, scratched interior parts from them doing the work, and worst case a rental car, you could be out 3 or 4 hundred dollars simply because of a poorly designed 50 cent spring.

So even if it hasnít happened yet, just read and remember. A flimsy as the little plastic arm was that holds that spring, Iím pretty sure that they will be a common problem as the cars start to age.
    Enjoy!

NOID stop jumping on the band wagon..lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work,this one is going in my favorites just in case.
    6.1 n/a 11.4 at 118 minus the back seat/jack & spare tire (famoso,ca.)

Post Thanks / Like
    I woke up this morning at 6:10 AM to "Honey....my car won't get out of park." I rolled over and said take my car, I'll figure it out or take it to the dealer. 2 hours later and a screw driver will get me to work on time today. I spent 1 hour 45 mins researching further after reading this post (while trying to wake up and have breakfast). It only took about 15 mins to confirm I had the same problem with a broken spring. I tried a screw driver to act like the spring and the car shifted fine.

This is the fancy car in the house and it belongs to my better half while I don't mind taking apart plastics to actually fix this I'll take it to the local dealer. There's only so much I learned in one summer school of Automechanics while in highschool 13 years ago.

Thanks for the great post.

William
    West Palm Beach, FL
    561-628-1560

Post Thanks / Like
    I just spoke to my local dealer where I purchased it from

$172 for the entire Shifter (They do not sell the $10 plastic part)
    $187 -2 hours of labor to install.

Anyone know any junkyards? I am going to try and find an old shifter and take off the part i need.

Quote Originally Posted by wilanz View Post
    I woke up this morning at 6:10 AM to "Honey....my car won't get out of park." I rolled over and said take my car, I'll figure it out or take it to the dealer. 2 hours later and a screw driver will get me to work on time today. I spent 1 hour 45 mins researching further after reading this post (while trying to wake up and have breakfast). It only took about 15 mins to confirm I had the same problem with a broken spring. I tried a screw driver to act like the spring and the car shifted fine.

This is the fancy car in the house and it belongs to my better half while I don't mind taking apart plastics to actually fix this I'll take it to the local dealer. There's only so much I learned in one summer school of Automechanics while in highschool 13 years ago.

Thanks for the great post.

William
    West Palm Beach, FL
    561-628-1560

Post Thanks / Like
    You can try Cleveland pick a parts... they are a vendor on this site...

Post Thanks / Like
    I just figured out what this little pink guy does. It keeps you from being able to take out the key from the ignition until the car is in park. A very nice safety feature if you are prone to doing that while driving but not worth $400 in my opinion. My better half and I are the only ones that drive this car and we barely do since it's the nice car.

I just disabled the wire that was connected to the driver's side of the pink piece on my lunch break and the car works no problem. I tried to chip the plastic piece off with a screw driver to avoid taking out any bolts. I got about halfway and then decided to just wait till I got home and take off the cover from the front just enough to pull out the piece.

Thanks again for the clear pictures. I kept going downstairs to the car and then back up to the computer to see what it looked like.

I did find the spring. That little sucker was way in there. I could have tried the repair but decided to just remove it instead.

I just spoke to my local dealer where I purchased it from

$172 for the entire Shifter (They do not sell the $10 plastic part)
    $187 -2 hours of labor to install.

Anyone know any junkyards? I am going to try and find an old shifter and take off the part i need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow I am surprised to see this thread resurface.

When this happened to me I decided to fix it myself. I could have taken it to the dealer but they would have replaced the whole assembly under warranty and in two years this would happen again. Who ever designed the pink bushing needs to go back to engineering school because if they thought that tiny piece of pick plastic hanging off the front of the busing could hold the force of that spring over time, they must have been smoking crack. I did you the pictures to fix the bushing, the job took almost 3 hours to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will say it again, I am continually impressed with the LX extended family. Within 20 minutes of the first post not only was there an answer but a diagram and step by step instructions. Followed by pix of actual parts and even more detailed instruction. Question post 6:28 --- Problem fixed post 6:45... 17 minutes you guys are amazing. I have a confidence in this forum that makes me even more fond of my car. Thanks to all who take the time to document, it helps out those of us just learning these cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Instead of taking out the bolts and removing the shift assembly. I used a screw driver and hammer finished cracking the little pink part. Then pulled out the 3 pieces. It's not pretty but it kept me from messing with any adjustments to the shifter cable.

Good luck out there...this should really be a preventative maintenance item otherwise you could get stuck while you are out, traveling, getting gas, middle of the night for a little pink part that requires the entire shift Assembly to be changed.

Pics (Attached)

I just figured out what this little pink guy does. It keeps you from being able to take out the key from the ignition until the car is in park. A very nice safety feature if you are prone to doing that while driving but not worth $400 in my opinion. My better half and I are the only ones that drive this car and we barely do since it's the nice car.

I just disabled the wire that was connected to the driver's side of the pink piece on my lunch break and the car works no problem. I tried to chip the plastic piece off with a screw driver to avoid taking out any bolts. I got about halfway and then decided to just wait till I got home and take off the cover from the front just enough to pull out the piece.

Thanks again for the clear pictures. I kept going downstairs to the car and then back up to the computer to see what it looked like.

I did find the spring. That little sucker was way in there. I could have tried the repair but decided to just remove it instead.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    So all you did is remove the pink plastic part and you were good to go???

Did you remove anything else?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread