LX Forums Forum banner

Am I the Only Person Disappointed with the New Challenger?

5K views 40 replies 30 participants last post by  RT Dave 
#1 ·
Without having driven one, I am somewhat disappointed with the reviews I've been reading. First, it weighs way too much. Second, it allegedly runs a 13.3 1/4 with 425 hp. I'm assuming that the RT would have a hard time breaking into the 13 second club then. Way too slow. Anyhow, I hate to sound like sour grapes but this is just plain disappointing to me. Kudos to all of you who will be getting one and will be happy with them. Not trying to pee on your parade...

-Dave

#2 ·
The Challenger (like other vehicles) is a victim of the following:

1) Chrysler's financial situation and new management/streamlining.

2) Todays high fuel prices.

3) Todays government regulations for safety/fuel consumption/etc.

4) Customer demand that changes frequently/sales trends.

5) Specialized markets are very small.

Those items, and more, tend to take all the fun out of most cars made now days. Its only gonna get worse before it gets better.

#5 ·
I have two on order. Ordered before I knew what it would weigh. I was hoping for at least 300 pounds LESS then a 300C, not 50 pounds MORE.

Anyone want them? No - I'm not looking to make even 10 cents. But I'm not taking delivery of effectively my car with a different shell, taking a $20,000 depreciation hit on my car, just to get what I already have.

No thanks.

#6 ·
First let's get this out of the way....

--Not every driver out there is considerably the best. I most certainly guarantee at least two Challengers in the first week at the strip after break-ins and good track conditions will run 12.8's at the latest. Remember, it's still early yet and 9 out of every 10 reviews on a car will have someone complain. The Viper guys deal with this all the time.

--Matt brings up a very good point, I bet most, if not everyone doesn't think about. The Challenger is a LX. Which means most parts on the car are probably interchangeable between the 300 and Charger. After all the Challenger IS a Charger (4 inches shorter) with a new body and we learned that Charger bumpers, headlight, hoods, and grills can be put on a Magnum.

--The Challenger is 20 lbs lighter than a Charger, About 130 lbs lighter than a Magnum, and about 20 lbs lighter than the 300. (All specs from Edmunds and all SRT8's). Is there going to be a difference? Maybe but again remember 90% driver. For the most part all four are considered equals, well three now.

--"Specialized markets are very small." Hit the nail on the head! The only thing that worries me is direction. The Challenger is the second muscle/"pony" car to be released into the market, following the Mustang, ahead of the Camaro. There's been all these talks and rumors of killing the Viper. I can't see it happening since it is Dodge's specialty car to begin with and the vette guys are just as worried since the Viper is their main source of domestic competition. To me the SRT's range from mid to high level cars. There could be a time when the company has to make a choice, do we go into a higher level market or do we want to stay with the middle class and make lower rated cars? (I.E. SRT6) There's been talk about GM making a 4-cyl Camaro.

Anyway that's my little rant. I'll turn myself off now. The way I see things is like this. We are currently in a recession, the economy should go back up. The whole gas crisis thing, I have no belief in it what-so-ever.

--RS

#7 ·
This is very interesting that people are going to be paying $57,000 ($42,000 plus $15,000 "adjusted market value") for a variation on an SRT8: wonder how many orders are going to be reneged on.

It is neat to know that my Magnum SRT8 will have the same performance as a Challenger. Cool. :rock:

#18 ·
They HAVE To weigh that much.................cars today are made of lighter materials than ever before.............

ALL cars have to be safer to protect us from ourselves..............if we didn't crash into each other all the time, or drive off the highway while talking on our phone and drinkin' effing hot latte's then the cars would be much lighter.................

nobody dropped the ball here..............they did what they gotta do

#10 ·
Hang on guys. Don't forget it's a slightly shorter LX. So little weight difference.
Good news: a lot of mods already available

Those on the edge: who will be the first to buy a Challenger and put on the Charger/Magnum/or 300 front end?

#12 ·
nope... not the srt8's anyways.

challengers performance really disappointed me. handling is worse than the charger too... check this out
from a recent thread on chargerforums...
A side by side comparision based on Car & Driver's reviews of the 2008 SRT8s. Challenger is listed first and the Charger is listed second. Challenger wins in orange and Charger wins in purple. If uncolored, the cars' comparision was the same for that item or it was an untested combination.

My 2 cents - it's a performance push and all about personal styling preferences.

ENGINE TYPE: pushrod 16-valve V-8, iron block and aluminum heads, port fuel injection
Displacement: 370 cu in, 6059cc
Power (SAE net): 425 bhp @ 6200 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 420 lb-ft @ 4800 rpm
TRANSMISSION: 5-speed automatic with manumatic shifting

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 116.0 in vs 120.0 in - Challenger is shorter
Length: 197.8 in vs 200.1 in - Challenger is shorter
Width: 75.7 in vs 74.5 in - Charger is narrower
Height: 57.0 in vs 57.7 in - Challenger is shorter
Curb weight: 4189 lb vs 4274 lb - Challenger is lighter

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.8 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 11.4 sec vs 11.2 sec - Charger is faster
Zero to 130 mph: ChallengerNotTested vs 19.9 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 30.8 sec vs ChargerNotTested
Street start, 5-60 mph: 5.1 sec vs 5.2 sec - Challenger is faster
Standing ¼-mile: 13.3 sec @ 108 mph vs 13.2 sec @ 109 mph - Charger is faster
Top speed (drag limited): 168 mph vs 173 mph - Charger is faster
Braking, 70-0 mph: 170 ft vs 168 ft - Charger stops quicker
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.86 g vs 0.90 g - Charger has better handling

FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway driving: 13/18 mpg vs 14/20 mpg - Charger gets higher mileage
C/D-observed: 19 mpg vs ChargerNotTested

#13 ·
Man you guys are nit-picking.................the Challenger is thee most bad-ass thing to come along in a while..............I can't wait to get one.....SRT of course, 6 speed of course............

Yeah they're heavy..........what isn't?

Magazine tests suck................you guys(most people-----not necessarily you specifically) put too much belief in them

they're not real-world

I've "only" got an RT...............this thing is FAST.............I can't even imagine what an SRT is like................

I grew up on Big Block Chevies so don't think I'm just an old man(I'm 48 for Chrissakes) who's never had fun and don't know what fast is.............I traded a Subaru Sti for this thing(which I had for 2 1/2 years) and I thought THAT was fast(it was by the way) it Dyno'd at 270 wheel HP which I believe calculates to more than the 300 Subaru said it had(it was all stock too-no mods)

That thing could bend time it was so fast(ask me how I know)(and I'm not talkin about Drag Racing)it was bad-ass

and when I first stabbed the throttle from a light in this Mag I was surprised............and it gets better fuel economy on the highway than the Subie

As I was saying...........I can't wait for my Chally to come along..........I'm sick of Mustangs and Mustang people(I work at a Ford dealer by the way) and that new Camaro does absolutely nothing for me.........no thanks

Funny I grew up a Chevy guy and now all I want or see is new Mopars

Chevy & Ford got nuthin' for me................

Wouldn't mind gettin ahold of a 67 GTX or R/T Hemi either.....:racing:

the end

#14 ·
The original Challengers (70-74) were a bit smaller than the 2008/2009's. They were E bodies based on the B bodies (Chargers), but were smaller. In fact the original Challengers were within an inch or two in size to todays Avanger in all dimensions. :)

#15 ·
at least with a challanger you can take more then one friend for a ride. have you seen a back seat in a mustang?????? with the driver seat in a comfy spot there is no. I mean no room for someone back there.

I agree with everything said in the 2nd Post. it costs to much to build a car from the ground up. they just make new cars that are close to others they already have. to save money. it sad and it sucks but what do ya do. I for one cant wait to ride in one.

#19 ·
at least with a challanger you can take more then one friend for a ride. have you seen a back seat in a mustang?????? with the driver seat in a comfy spot there is no. I mean no room for someone back there.
Exactly! Chrysler is saying 5 adults can fit in a Challenger........you might get 4 people in a Mustang if 2 of 'em have no legs..............prolly gonna be the same for the Camaro................

#16 ·
We have at least 2 members running 10 second Chrysler 300 for cripes sake. Do you you really think that within a few months , Challengers won't be ripping up the tracks? I remember how bad the magazines said that the Magnums cornered. I can tell you with a few mods, you can make a Magnum go around corners just fine. The Challenger is a beautiful , fast, comfortable sexy car, 2 doors. The Charger is all the above with 4 doors. Be glad that Chrysler had the nads to build them.

Reactions: done
#17 ·
1. No car will -please everyone. Ever.

2. Most cars share platforms. Desirability is based on looks. A 1964 Mustang was basically a 1964 Falcon with some trimming and a way cooler body. A 1969 Charger was a B body, same as a 1969 Coronet. The fact that you could order the same engine, gears, etc in a four door Coronet didn't make the Charger less desirable.

3. People griped about the new Charger as it had four doors, myself included. The Challenger responds to those concerns.

I respect everyone's opinion. I understand the disappointment. But personally I think the Challenger is an awesome car. If they come through with a convertible I'll have one in my driveway.:thumbs_u:

#36 ·
1. No car will -please everyone. Ever.

2. Most cars share platforms. Desirability is based on looks. A 1964 Mustang was basically a 1964 Falcon with some trimming and a way cooler body. A 1969 Charger was a B body, same as a 1969 Coronet. The fact that you could order the same engine, gears, etc in a four door Coronet didn't make the Charger less desirable.

3. People griped about the new Charger as it had four doors, myself included. The Challenger responds to those concerns.

I respect everyone's opinion. I understand the disappointment. But personally I think the Challenger is an awesome car. If they come through with a convertible I'll have one in my driveway.:thumbs_u:
Totally agree. Likewise for me on the Convertible....especially one with a 6.4 stick and shaker!

#20 ·
What ever.....Wait till it comes out. '09 model with the 6 speed manual and posi rear end alone should help it walk past the Charger. And that's the SRT. The new 5.7 with 370 h.p. and a 6 speed manual gear box with posi should handle the rest of us R/T's as well....lol. Have a nice day.

#31 ·
Everybody seems to have missed that, Eric you could even answer impossible come 2010 model year.

J

#22 ·
In two years you will be able to buy a Challenger at a reasonable price due to the cost of fuel,the financial crisis the country is in, not many old school gearheads will want them; they want to customize thier one of a kind, Muscle car fans will already have paid too much for thiers.JMHO. Look at the Firebirds and Camaro's; awesome cars great performance and good price, lots of add-ons. Still no more.

#23 ·
In two years you will be able to buy a Challenger at a reasonable price due to the cost of fuel,the financial crisis the country is in, not many old school gearheads will want them; they want to customize a one of a kind, Muscle car fans will already have paid too much.JMHO. Look at the Firebirds and Camaro's; awesome cars great performance and good price, lots of add-ons. Still no more.

#24 ·
I'm upset with the new Challenger as well because...

I haven't put in a deposit on one yet, and would have to pay full sticker! I saw one at the auto show this year, and I have to say it was hot! I would trade my Magnum in for one, even though I have kids and would lose the comfort of having 2 extra doors!

#25 ·
Wanna bet 90 % of challenger buyers could care less about being faster that the other LX cars or how heavy they are . They want to bee seen driving the baddest looking 2+2 coupe to come out of Chrysler in years and getting to park it in there driveway . Its all about being seen in one .

#30 ·
This car is actually a "2+3". Everything else you said is spot-on. Quit moanin' about the weight, people. We are extremely lucky this car was ever approved for production. And with the new CAFE gas mileage standards courtesy of our democrat-controlled congress, it will be a very short production run. Get one while you can, and KEEP IT.

#26 ·
FYI... most of the original Challengers were slant-6 & 318/383-2v grocery-getter cars. Fewer were the hi-po 4 bbl & R/T cars, never mind the T/A's... we'd better hope the plain-jane Chally's sell, or this new breed will have a shorter run than the first. As much as I like my 300C, neither it, not a 4-door "Charger" or a station-wagon, have the "pinache" that this car does. What do you think a big-block original car w/ AC weighed ? Not much less. And you got 10-12 MPG in a "lighter" car. If anybody don't want theirs.... CALL ME !!

#27 ·
I too was thinking of getting the Challenger, but i have my sights on a Viper now. Not the new one, but a 2001 or 2003 SRT viper. You can pick one of these bad boys for the same price as the challenger and run high 11's. The best logical choice to me at least.

#29 ·
There is no doubt that DCX could have hit the ball out of the park with the manual option & 6.4 liter, and/or optimized curb weight in the first year. Will be interesting to see the 09 version, but I can't see spending that kind of dough unless it's got the goods.

#35 ·
At least there's a few people that agree with me. I would have preferred it to weigh in closer to a mustang than a charger. I don't really care about staying ahead of other lxs but moreso the mustangs and camaros. That doesn't really mattter that much to me anymore either, so I don't why it matters. I'll buy a used viper instead when I have the cash...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.