Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I the Only Person Disappointed with the New Challenger?

Without having driven one, I am somewhat disappointed with the reviews I've been reading. First, it weighs way too much. Second, it allegedly runs a 13.3 1/4 with 425 hp. I'm assuming that the RT would have a hard time breaking into the 13 second club then. Way too slow. Anyhow, I hate to sound like sour grapes but this is just plain disappointing to me. Kudos to all of you who will be getting one and will be happy with them. Not trying to pee on your parade...

-Dave
    68 Dodge Charger R/T
    06 Magnum R/T
    02 Intrepid SXT

Post Thanks / Like
    The Challenger (like other vehicles) is a victim of the following:

1) Chrysler's financial situation and new management/streamlining.

2) Todays high fuel prices.

3) Todays government regulations for safety/fuel consumption/etc.

4) Customer demand that changes frequently/sales trends.

5) Specialized markets are very small.

Those items, and more, tend to take all the fun out of most cars made now days. Its only gonna get worse before it gets better.
    Greg
    Mopar Traditionalist
    2006 GoManGo Dodge Charger Daytona # 1592 (4 door coupe)
    "You can NEVER have too many cars"

Post Thanks / Like
    You're not alone.

The race version is the only one I want, and the only one worthy of the name.
    http://www.odmp.org
    http://www.newsbusters.org

Quote Originally Posted by RT NOMAD View Post
    Green speaks with much insight.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^I agree with this guy.
    2006 Dodge Charger R/T
    2013 Chrysler 300S

JMatt is offline Faster than the fastest 3rd Gen Hemi
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have two on order. Ordered before I knew what it would weigh. I was hoping for at least 300 pounds LESS then a 300C, not 50 pounds MORE.

Anyone want them? No - I'm not looking to make even 10 cents. But I'm not taking delivery of effectively my car with a different shell, taking a $20,000 depreciation hit on my car, just to get what I already have.

No thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    First let's get this out of the way....

--Not every driver out there is considerably the best. I most certainly guarantee at least two Challengers in the first week at the strip after break-ins and good track conditions will run 12.8's at the latest. Remember, it's still early yet and 9 out of every 10 reviews on a car will have someone complain. The Viper guys deal with this all the time.

--Matt brings up a very good point, I bet most, if not everyone doesn't think about. The Challenger is a LX. Which means most parts on the car are probably interchangeable between the 300 and Charger. After all the Challenger IS a Charger (4 inches shorter) with a new body and we learned that Charger bumpers, headlight, hoods, and grills can be put on a Magnum.

--The Challenger is 20 lbs lighter than a Charger, About 130 lbs lighter than a Magnum, and about 20 lbs lighter than the 300. (All specs from Edmunds and all SRT8's). Is there going to be a difference? Maybe but again remember 90% driver. For the most part all four are considered equals, well three now.

--"Specialized markets are very small." Hit the nail on the head! The only thing that worries me is direction. The Challenger is the second muscle/"pony" car to be released into the market, following the Mustang, ahead of the Camaro. There's been all these talks and rumors of killing the Viper. I can't see it happening since it is Dodge's specialty car to begin with and the vette guys are just as worried since the Viper is their main source of domestic competition. To me the SRT's range from mid to high level cars. There could be a time when the company has to make a choice, do we go into a higher level market or do we want to stay with the middle class and make lower rated cars? (I.E. SRT6) There's been talk about GM making a 4-cyl Camaro.

Anyway that's my little rant. I'll turn myself off now. The way I see things is like this. We are currently in a recession, the economy should go back up. The whole gas crisis thing, I have no belief in it what-so-ever.

--RS

2007 Dodge Magnum 'ACR'

Post Thanks / Like
    This is very interesting that people are going to be paying $57,000 ($42,000 plus $15,000 "adjusted market value") for a variation on an SRT8: wonder how many orders are going to be reneged on.

It is neat to know that my Magnum SRT8 will have the same performance as a Challenger. Cool.
    6.1L HEMI #622 '07 TorRed MSRT8 1/165= TORRED >< 6.1L HEMI '10 Silver Jeep GC SRT8=4X4JET
    MSRT8 owners http://www.lxforums.com/board/group.php?groupid=24

Post Thanks / Like
    Although the weight and engines may be the same in the Challenger and the other LX's, the difference is the availability of manual transmission. The manual tranny models will have Hill Assist (maybe not a big deal), anti-spin rear axle, ESP full-off switch, bright pedal covers, 10% larger gears and wider bearnings.

http://www.dodge.com/en/2009/challen.../transmission/

Post Thanks / Like
    i'm very disappointed in the challenger. they really really really dropped the ball making it weigh that much.
    GoManGo #259 out of 4000 + a couple of mods

Post Thanks / Like
    Hang on guys. Don't forget it's a slightly shorter LX. So little weight difference.
    Good news: a lot of mods already available

Those on the edge: who will be the first to buy a Challenger and put on the Charger/Magnum/or 300 front end?
    Terry

2005 Magnum RT load runner 2.6: Inertia Motorsports 419 Stroker, Predator Tune: 475rwhp & 465rwtq, Crower Cam, Kook's Headers, 3 inch "Custom" Exhaust, Tunable Induction Intake, NAG1-HTC Tranny, 3.55 Gears, 600hp DSS Half-Shafts, TrueFiber Challenger Hood, Enkei Wheels 18"x9", MT 28.00" / 12.00" x 18" radials on rear, Paneled Rear Side Windows, GoManGo Front Seats, Eibach Springs/Dampers, Wilwood Calipers, Rear Wiper Removed, Billet Technology enhancments.
    2013 Chrysler 300 (black)
    1999 Plymouth Prowler (yellow) Prowler Pro #11
    2011 RPG Ford Raptor

Post Thanks / Like
    The Challenger will be faster than the 300/Mag/Charger due the lower gear ratios available.
    Displaced Hokie
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Hokie View Post
    The Challenger will be faster than the 300/Mag/Charger due the lower gear ratios available.
    nope... not the srt8's anyways.

challengers performance really disappointed me. handling is worse than the charger too... check this out
    from a recent thread on chargerforums...
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDolomite View Post
    A side by side comparision based on Car & Driver's reviews of the 2008 SRT8s. Challenger is listed first and the Charger is listed second. Challenger wins in orange and Charger wins in purple. If uncolored, the cars' comparision was the same for that item or it was an untested combination.

My 2 cents - it's a performance push and all about personal styling preferences.

ENGINE TYPE: pushrod 16-valve V-8, iron block and aluminum heads, port fuel injection
    Displacement: 370 cu in, 6059cc
    Power (SAE net): 425 bhp @ 6200 rpm
    Torque (SAE net): 420 lb-ft @ 4800 rpm
    TRANSMISSION: 5-speed automatic with manumatic shifting

DIMENSIONS:
    Wheelbase: 116.0 in vs 120.0 in - Challenger is shorter
    Length: 197.8 in vs 200.1 in - Challenger is shorter
    Width: 75.7 in vs 74.5 in - Charger is narrower
    Height: 57.0 in vs 57.7 in - Challenger is shorter
    Curb weight: 4189 lb vs 4274 lb - Challenger is lighter

C/D TEST RESULTS:
    Zero to 60 mph: 4.8 sec
    Zero to 100 mph: 11.4 sec vs 11.2 sec - Charger is faster
    Zero to 130 mph: ChallengerNotTested vs 19.9 sec
    Zero to 150 mph: 30.8 sec vs ChargerNotTested
    Street start, 560 mph: 5.1 sec vs 5.2 sec - Challenger is faster
    Standing -mile: 13.3 sec @ 108 mph vs 13.2 sec @ 109 mph - Charger is faster
    Top speed (drag limited): 168 mph vs 173 mph - Charger is faster
    Braking, 700 mph: 170 ft vs 168 ft - Charger stops quicker
    Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.86 g vs 0.90 g - Charger has better handling

FUEL ECONOMY:
    EPA city/highway driving: 13/18 mpg vs 14/20 mpg - Charger gets higher mileage
    C/D-observed: 19 mpg vs ChargerNotTested

Post Thanks / Like
    Man you guys are nit-picking.................the Challenger is thee most bad-ass thing to come along in a while..............I can't wait to get one.....SRT of course, 6 speed of course............

Yeah they're heavy..........what isn't?

Magazine tests suck................you guys(most people-----not necessarily you specifically) put too much belief in them

they're not real-world

I've "only" got an RT...............this thing is FAST.............I can't even imagine what an SRT is like................

I grew up on Big Block Chevies so don't think I'm just an old man(I'm 48 for Chrissakes) who's never had fun and don't know what fast is.............I traded a Subaru Sti for this thing(which I had for 2 1/2 years) and I thought THAT was fast(it was by the way) it Dyno'd at 270 wheel HP which I believe calculates to more than the 300 Subaru said it had(it was all stock too-no mods)

That thing could bend time it was so fast(ask me how I know)(and I'm not talkin about Drag Racing)it was bad-ass

and when I first stabbed the throttle from a light in this Mag I was surprised............and it gets better fuel economy on the highway than the Subie

As I was saying...........I can't wait for my Chally to come along..........I'm sick of Mustangs and Mustang people(I work at a Ford dealer by the way) and that new Camaro does absolutely nothing for me.........no thanks

Funny I grew up a Chevy guy and now all I want or see is new Mopars

Chevy & Ford got nuthin' for me................

Wouldn't mind gettin ahold of a 67 GTX or R/T Hemi either.....

the end
    Carson James(Hemi Jr) born 6/2/05

2006 Magnum R/T Inferno Red(hers)(HemiMom)
    yeah it's a Hemi

20x8.5 & 20x9.5 Voxx Misanos
    P245/45ZR20 Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercars
    Mopar springs

2010 Challenger SRT8
    B5 Blue or Plum Crazy
    6 speed trans
    coming soon

Post Thanks / Like
    The original Challengers (70-74) were a bit smaller than the 2008/2009's. They were E bodies based on the B bodies (Chargers), but were smaller. In fact the original Challengers were within an inch or two in size to todays Avanger in all dimensions.

Post Thanks / Like
    at least with a challanger you can take more then one friend for a ride. have you seen a back seat in a mustang?????? with the driver seat in a comfy spot there is no. I mean no room for someone back there.

I agree with everything said in the 2nd Post. it costs to much to build a car from the ground up. they just make new cars that are close to others they already have. to save money. it sad and it sucks but what do ya do. I for one cant wait to ride in one.

:insert sig here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Share This Thread