Post Thanks / Like

Hill Assist on 6 speed Challys

I'm sure you're all aware that the 09 RT chally is going to be available with a 6 sp and a few more HP but I am wondering if anybody here is turned off by the "hill assist" feature. Basically, it holds the brake for one second on a hill so you don't hit the car behind you. Am I the only person who thinks you have no right driving a 375 hp vehicle if you can't start out on a hill without hitting the car behind you? That's almost as bad as the second to fourth shift in a corvette. I hope you can disable this feature...
    68 Dodge Charger R/T
    06 Magnum R/T
    02 Intrepid SXT

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't agree more.
    392 Stroker, Builder Bill TC, Builder Bill tranny, LXAS LVLI Tcase, Novi 1500 10.5psi, 150 shot of nitrous, tuned by Josh @ HHP

Post Thanks / Like
    Very much like writing code for 'smallest common denominator' - if you don't cover every imaginable condition, stuff goes wrong..

I'd figure they put that in there so when the kid takes out the hotrod when you off on that trip/evening out/vacation he doesn't do what a friends neighbors kid did to their prized Corvette and roll back into a truck at the stop stop-sign-on-the-hill.

Not everyone can manage to drive with three pedals, even if they think they can.

Mike
    "Now, I may not be an expert either, but I do lay the keyboard down on occasion, wipe the donut crumbs off my face, put my pants on and go outside into the light... and work on the car." - MattRobertson
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v619/MikeEast/
    (AirHammer, FRI Sidewinder, JBA shortys/highflows, Zoomers, Diablo, Labonte, Pedders, RazorsEdge, HSP Mounts, Silver Box,BT PinkThingy, AMG Paddle Shifters) 3.07 SRT rear, 13.302@106.15

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty sure most hill assists lets go IMMEDIATELY after the clutch gets engagement...

If that's the case, i can't see a reason why this is so annoying...

do you LIKE rolling backwards from stop signs?
    2012 Ram 1500 Express - 4x4 - HEMI - Black

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Franklin P. Jones
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't driven a stick shift since I traded my 1971 914 Porsche in 1977.
    I sure would appreciate that feature. If it had been available on my 914, my ex-wife wouldn't have burnt up my clutch in a one year driving span.
    Last edited by RT NOMAD; 04-30-2008 at 01:58 PM.
    Terry

2005 Magnum RT load runner 2.6: Inertia Motorsports 419 Stroker, Predator Tune: 475rwhp & 465rwtq, Crower Cam, Kook's Headers, 3 inch "Custom" Exhaust, Tunable Induction Intake, NAG1-HTC Tranny, 3.55 Gears, 600hp DSS Half-Shafts, TrueFiber Challenger Hood, Enkei Wheels 18"x9", MT 28.00" / 12.00" x 18" radials on rear, Paneled Rear Side Windows, GoManGo Front Seats, Eibach Springs/Dampers, Wilwood Calipers, Rear Wiper Removed, Billet Technology enhancments.
    2013 Chrysler 300 (black)
    1999 Plymouth Prowler (yellow) Prowler Pro #11
    2011 RPG Ford Raptor

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a great idea. I've driven a stick since '87, and I'd really appreciate it. Where I live, there are lots of hills.

I may be wrong, not really sure how it works, but this could be a huge benefit on the drag strip too. Light about to turn green, left foot on clutch, right on gas, no rolling into the light early, or rolling back.

I doubt it does the assist on EVERY start, it's probably a button you can activate. ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hurst Roll Control baby, loved that on my Trans Am, nice manually controlled button right on the shifter. But I only used it for removing excess rubber from the rear tires occasionally without burning up my brakes.
    2005 MAGNUM RT

CF AIRHAMMER, Predator, 180 Tstat, Flowmaster 44's, no resonaters, Blue LED Interior Lighting, 06 Radio with Aux Input

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RT Dave View Post
    I'm sure you're all aware that the 09 RT chally is going to be available with a 6 sp and a few more HP but I am wondering if anybody here is turned off by the "hill assist" feature. Basically, it holds the brake for one second on a hill so you don't hit the car behind you. Am I the only person who thinks you have no right driving a 375 hp vehicle if you can't start out on a hill without hitting the car behind you? That's almost as bad as the second to fourth shift in a corvette. I hope you can disable this feature...

LOL....

doesn't have anything to do with whether or not you have a "right" to drive a 375hp car..

hell if that was the case then prevent all these retards from owning SUV's that they can't drive.. Men and Women alike.. they are too damn big and most of the yahoos that purchase them couldn't park a freaking bicycle without hitting a curb, or crashing into a pole....

cars like the Challenger will be purchased by people "who think" they are Mario Andretti, or Dale Earnhart and can handle it.. and like the Status Symbol Seeking Retarded SUV owners will fark up the car and other cars in the process.

unless some law maker designs a law requiring a special driving class/classes prior to the purchase of vehicles like these, options like Hill Assist and the 2nd to 4th gear in the Vette and some of the other "dumb driver assist" features are needed..

do I think it is a needed feature??

for myself NO, I have over 18 years of motorcycle racing behind me, and I have taken a few oval track stock car racing classes..

for someone like my neighbor that just wrecked a priceless Ferrari because he is one of those people that "thinks" he can drive and his experience lies with 20 years of driving in Los Angeles Traffic.. YES a feature like this will help people like him...

just because someone has the money to buy a Ferrari or a Chally, doesn't mean they will know how to handle it, drive it, or care for it..
    Last edited by Mr. iNCREDIBLE; 04-30-2008 at 07:17 PM.
    "A world full of 100% Prius owners is still a world 100% dependent on oil" ~ E. Musk

Post Thanks / Like
    Hill assist, traction control, antilock brakes, adaptive cruise control, lane departure avoidance....people want their government to take care of them when they are driving a car.........keep the politicians and the lawyers out of my car and things would be so much easier
    5.7L Hemi Registry # 00814

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by klarmie View Post
    Hill assist, traction control, antilock brakes, adaptive cruise control, lane departure avoidance....people want their government to take care of them when they are driving a car.........keep the politicians and the lawyers out of my car and things would be so much easier
    Not sure about the others, but IIRC, TC and Anti-lock come from racing technology. I don't think that's a government/lawyer thing. Last time I checked, lane departure avoidance is not mandatory or available on ALL cars, just select ones. They are marketed to those who like that stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope I didn't offend. I personally do not like uneccesary electronic annoyances in today's vehicles. I don't know why I'm so concernced as I will not be buying one anyhow.

Share This Thread