Post Thanks / Like

Resonated Kit 4db/6db

Well I have been researching the differences between these two sets and listening to sound clips and I can't decide. One person says they have the 6db kit with no drone and the next person says they can definitely hear the drone with the same kit. I am not worried about regular cabin noise when driving but I am worried about the MDS drone when the car kicks into 4 cylinders. So is there any way to compare the difference between the two kits and is the drone from MDS that much different?

Also any chance of a forum member discount over your website prices? PM me if you can.

thanks,
    BSHAW27

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyones ears are different, mine are pretty sensitive to drone. With a 350hp straight-thru center muffler the 6db will give some interior resonance that I can hear but it's not bothersome to me. IMO the 4db on a 350hp center muffler has no resonance. If I owned one and had to drive it as a daily driver "I" would probably go with a 4db myself (@45 years of age). If it were just a weekend car then maybe an 11db eliminator kit.

So it would depend on who is in the car with you when you drive, ie wife, kids, inlaws in the back seat. How much driving you do. Type of driving. How loud you listen to your music. How old you are. A few of the things I would normally ask when recommending an exhaust.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I am only 27 years old and I ussually have my radio up pretty loud and I only drive the car on weekends and for errands since I work out of my house so it doesn't get too many miles on it. I am pretty sure that in regular daily driving I would care less about drone. But some have said when they take a rode trip with the MDS drone on the highway for long period of times can be mind numbing. I had a 5.0 Mustang with no cats and down pipes at the bottom of the headers so regular loud exhaust doesn't bother me at all.

But this car isn't a race car I just want a better sounding exhaust I don't need anything obnoxious. It sounds like the 6db kit will work for me but i wanted to get your opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, 6db should be a good choice. I did 2 Chargers with 7db eliminator kits this week, both had the straight thru center muffler, in fact one of them (Charger forum guy) just left a little while ago. You can tell by the vibration I felt in the seat just in park that it's going to resonate inside under a load or when the MDS kicks in. I did a sound clip of the first one that I will try to get edited soon and posted.

Blastin'

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update. I think the resonated kit is definitely the way to go for me I don't think I want the complete removal of the resonators because of the drone issues. I am waiting to here back on a SRT hood that I am trying to buy. If that deal falls through I will be ready to order the kit next week. If I get the hood I will have to wait a couple months to get the exhaust.

Talk to ya soon,
    BSHAW27

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bob,

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread here, but I have a question about your kits.

I currently have 2 Magnaflows where the suitcase muffler used to be, and one of your SSR225 4db resonated kits at the back of the car.

Before I put your kit on, I used to get some "gurgling" when downshifting manually, like when coming to a stop at a red light or whatever.

With the resonated kit on, the sound became kinda boomy on part-throttle, and that gurgle is completely gone.

The kit sounds awesome at WOT however ... I love the combo then.

I'm considering replacing the 4db resonated kit with one of your 5db reso-delete kits .... I have my MDS disabled, so highway drone isn't really an issue, although currently I have some while on part-throttle.

I'm looking for more of a muscle-car sound, more raspy, also a little louder at idle and more aggressive overall ...would that be the way to go ?

Thanks for letting me scratch your brain a little ...

<hijack over >

Billet Tech custom billet products Online Store

Many pictures of our products can be viewed here

Post Thanks / Like
    Gabe you can hijack my threads anytime as long as I can do the same to yours over on chargerforums!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AWD_Gabe View Post
    Hi Bob,

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread here, but I have a question about your kits.

I currently have 2 Magnaflows where the suitcase muffler used to be, and one of your SSR225 4db resonated kits at the back of the car.

Before I put your kit on, I used to get some "gurgling" when downshifting manually, like when coming to a stop at a red light or whatever.

With the resonated kit on, the sound became kinda boomy on part-throttle, and that gurgle is completely gone.

The kit sounds awesome at WOT however ... I love the combo then.

I'm considering replacing the 4db resonated kit with one of your 5db reso-delete kits .... I have my MDS disabled, so highway drone isn't really an issue, although currently I have some while on part-throttle.

I'm looking for more of a muscle-car sound, more raspy, also a little louder at idle and more aggressive overall ...would that be the way to go ?

Thanks for letting me scratch your brain a little ...

<hijack over >
    Your 07 stock muffler had a core that didn't lose any size from front to back. It looks like Magnaflow bends their cores after they are perforated causing it to collapse in the bends, so they are more restrictive unless you went with a 3" core magnaflow, then what I wrote gets thrown out. Should have gone with a 40 series flowmaster or a super 40 or 44. MYTWOCENTS.
    The 5db will for sure give you more tone and more drone but I can't say that your deceleration gurgle will return the way you want it to.

B Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    So loudness-wise from mild to wild it goes: Flowmaster 40, Super 40 then Super 44 ??? I'm thinking of adding JBA cats/mids to my JBA shorties and 6db Blastin' Bob's kit. My thinking was to replace the 350hp suitcase at the same time with something fun, but not too crazy. Perhaps the Borla Turbo #40653 is a good way to go as well, or do we need the Turbo XL for our cars?
    Last edited by Orange Crush 375; 04-12-2008 at 11:19 PM.
    2008 Daytona #375 "Orange Crush"
    Call Sign KC9LEM 146.940 Tone 103.5
    Yeah, she's bone stock, I swear it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Bob I just ordered the resonated 6db SSR kit off your website. Let me know if you need any other info from me. If not then I will look forward to their arrival!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BSHAW27 View Post
    Hey Bob I just ordered the resonated 6db SSR kit off your website. Let me know if you need any other info from me. If not then I will look forward to their arrival!!
    It's all good. They have always come in black as well.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Crush 375 View Post
    So loudness-wise from mild to wild it goes: Flowmaster 40, Super 40 then Super 44 ??? I'm thinking of adding JBA cats/mids to my JBA shorties and 6db Blastin' Bob's kit. My thinking was to replace the 350hp suitcase at the same time with something fun, but not too crazy. Perhaps the Borla Turbo #40653 is a good way to go as well, or do we need the Turbo XL for our cars?
    40 and super 40 are pretty close, 44's are louder but I wouldn't say wild as compared to the other two.

Borla problably won't change the tone too much over your stock muffler. Flowmaster or another open chambered muffler would be my choice.

Blastin'

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob! Actually, the 6db Kit has settled into a nice low burble since I posted in this thread a few days ago. No drone, but definitely a healthier rumble. These things must be like whiskey - they improve with age! I'm expecting that nice sound to mature even more once I get some cats/mids ordered and then installed.

Share This Thread