Post Thanks / Like

Satellite Radio Antenna "In-Dash" ??

Hi,

I've found that I get good reception with my satellite antenna on my dash. (I have it almost all the way forward right by the light sensor that is up there)

I would like to install my antenna under my dash. After searching I found some references to it being easy to do, but I figured I'd ask before I rip apart my dash again.

In the past I have completely pulled my gauge cluster out, my radio, and my glove compartment... so I am familiar with how to remove those. I just didn't want to start tearing things up until I found out the best way to get up into that area.

Does that panel way up where the dash meets the glass come out easily?

----------------

Second question for those knowledgeable about satellite antennas: Would there be any benefit for me to install a splitter and put an antenna under the dash and another one up under the rear spoiler? I wouldn't do the spoiler one until later, just wondering if that would A> improve signal strength, B> Do nothing at all under any conditions, C> reduce signal strength or cause interference for the satellite radio receiver.

That concept of needing 3 inches of metal around the antenna seems to be bogus (at least with the antenna I have) . It shows full signal strength on the device settings antenna meter when I have the antenna just sitting on top of my dash.
    Did the radiator cap mod: SRT8 is here....
    The Hemi says, "VROOOM!" Hemi Registry #00420

Post Thanks / Like
    I put mine on my dash first (in my Cutlass)... worked fine in the city because there are terrestrial repeaters (towers). Out in the country though, if I wasn't facing a satellite, I got nothing... Under the dash will only be worse.

If you insist on it, then make sure it's not underneath any metal.

I DRINK ROYAL PURPLE! WHAT NOW?!

> 2006 Silver SRT-8 magnum, adopted 9/9/06 with 36 miles, groups I, II, &III.
    * tinted LED Tails * Mopar Remote Start * Stainless Airhammer * Coated Kooks Longtubes * PPP Heads, Cam, and Converter * Alpine R10 Subs/AoN Enclosures * 20" Black AR 311's w/ Nitto 420's * Corsa cat-back * Front Window Tint * Ratman Hatch Button Mod * Hotchkis Sways * BT Underhood Bling * Polished Intake Manifold * Autodim Drivers Mirror *

Post Thanks / Like
    I do the same thing in my 300... Have the XM antenna all the way up near the windshield, dead center.

Do they all have that bogus speaker grill in the middle of the dash? I read about people putting them under there and getting good reception. Has to be the easiest method.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does that grill just pop right out? I wouldn't place it all the way forward...just a couple inches back from that position should give me the same reception.

Re: signal strength: I drive 40 miles to work. I had the device signal meter (the one buried in the settings) on the whole way. The only time I lost any signal strength according to the meter was when I went under a bridge. It didn't cut out and the signal didn't drop all the way either. Also, I will make sure it is not blocked by metal over it. Plastic is pretty much invisible to the signal.

I live out in the desert of New Mexico... Definitely rural. I'm having no problems with signal strength and the antenna being placed on the dash. If I lived somewhere else then it might be an issue I guess. (The satellite pointing down to earth is far enough north-northeast that I get full signal even when I'm driving south-southwest. no problems at all.)

That is why I am considering putting in a second hidden antenna in the rear spoiler if I can use a simple splitter or something to have 2 antennas installed. As long as this configuration doesn't cause problems, I would think it would provide better coverage anyway. (I'm thinking of doing the second antenna for road trips).

I really want to avoid putting anything on my roof. I pull decals and crap off of my car, not add things on. lol.
    Last edited by quarky42; 03-05-2008 at 01:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Big Bruin - the grille isn't bogus, there's a center speaker in the premium audio package.

Quarky - it must be all those funky alien transmissions going on out in the NM desert then ;-) The spoiler should be fine because there's no metal to block the signal and you have line of sight in all directions. Their general rule for ensuring continuous satellite coverage is maintaining clear line of sight in all directions 30 degrees from horizontal and up.

Post Thanks / Like
    the "dealer installed" recommended location for the REC nav radio antenna install is mounted right on top of the a/c ducts that run directly under the center of the dash. this is how i installed mine when i replaced my original radio with a nav radio. it's a lot easier to just remove the center radio bezel and work that way than to go to all the trouble of removing the cluster just to be able to get to the "factory" installed location behind the gauges. i had posted the link for the MOPAR installation guide that is on the wyckof chrysler web site in another thread that also discussed the antenna position, etc. if you search for it you should find it. if not, go the magnum section at their site and do a search on "nav bezel" or "nav radio" and you should be able to find it. my only suggestion is that you are careful when working to get the antenna on the top of one of the a/c ducts as they are rough molded and are capable of tearing up the back of you hand as you work to mount the antenna. i installed mine weeks ago, and my hand is just about healed up now, LOL!! for what it's worth, the unit works perfectly with the antenna mounted in that position, and i even have a velour dash mat on the dash.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ The navigation has something like 13 satellites to choose from, satellite radio only has 3... it matters more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Super T, Out here, with my antenna next to the light sensor on the dash, I have full coverage. If it is too far forward the metal trim around the windshield would cover it. Too far back and their isn't enough angle. However, right next to that light sensor it has the best of both worlds.

I don't want to install the antenna on the rear spoiler...but *in* it instead... and I was hoping to avoid doing that work right now...save it for some weekend when I'm bored.

I didn't want to rip apart my rear hatch area right now. Last time I did it, it was a booger. I was afraid I was going to break something pulling those stupid pressure tabs out. I was even using a butter knife to pry at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Super T View Post
    Big Bruin - the grille isn't bogus, there's a center speaker in the premium audio package.

Quarky - it must be all those funky alien transmissions going on out in the NM desert then ;-) The spoiler should be fine because there's no metal to block the signal and you have line of sight in all directions. Their general rule for ensuring continuous satellite coverage is maintaining clear line of sight in all directions 30 degrees from horizontal and up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I knew what you meant on the spoiler. Jaak did his, I think he was the first. If/when I get the 402 or TommyZ spoiler, mine will go in there as well (well a new one will, I'll leave the stocker on the roof until I have funds to have the hole filled). And I'm not really looking forward to tearing apart my hatch because big pieces of plastic crack easier, but it's going to happen this year anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I totally stole the idea from him or someone else on the forum when I was searching...

Maybe I'll just put it in the spoiler, but:

A> I can't do that after work...I'm impatient. I can tear apart my dash after work easily enough.
    B> I don't have any heatshrink that large on hand....I don't think there is anywhere locally that I can buy that size heatshrink either.
    C> Tearing apart the hatch is a b!tch of a job. I did it once when I installed reverse sensors.
    D> Can you tell I'm lazy?

lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not lazy... efficient :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed mine under the cover at the base of the windshield. You just have to pop off the 2 A pillar covers and then pry up on the cover and it will come right up.
    Under the cover you will see two spots to stick the antenna. One on each side they look like this.

The problem is it puts the antenna on an angle.

To level it out I made a bracket out of scrap metal I had laying around. Just cut out a couple of slots

Give a bend to get it level

Then loosen the bolts and slide it in place

Reinstall the dash cover and A pillar covers and your done. I used some electrical tape to hold the wire in place while I was putting the cover in place. It's not hard
    Before and After

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MrHemi2U View Post
    I installed mine under the cover at the base of the windshield...
    Awesome!

Beans man, let me get this man some beans!

I'm good at removing my a-pillars ;?).... this should be a piece of cake. So far I've been getting 100% reception (according to built in meter) on the dash. I drop down to 66% (lose one bar) for a moment when I drive through mountainy terrain, but then it picks right back up to full reception. I'm sure the meter isn't super accurate, but it's all I have to go on for now. I think the in-dash will work very well for me over here. I may reconsider installing into the spoiler if I start traveling more.

I wonder if installing a metal bracket there blocks the defroster from working well on that side? hmmm... I can probably come up with a variation of some sort.
    Last edited by quarky42; 03-06-2008 at 12:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Will this work for the nav antenna too?

Post Thanks / Like
    After trying the dash method and not being happy with the reception in my area (probably because of the angle of the satellite or maybe not finding the perfect spot on the dash), I decided to install it in the rear spoiler. Rear spoiler was easy enough to remove, roughed up the under side of the spoiler and the top of the antenna really well. (Really rough, as in using a knife and scoring it) then just hot glued that son-of-a-gun under there and ran the line to the front of the car.

The satellite antenna is completely hidden and I get very good reception except on the worst of weather days (which are very few here in southern NM) and even then it still works just cuts out easier.)

(plastic lets the satellite frequencies through with very little loss...it's almost invisible to the antenna. Metallic paint might mess with it though, so if your rear spoiler is painted be prepared to test it first before installing it.)

Share This Thread