LX Forums Forum banner

What is the difference Dodge Charger and Dodge Challenger

9K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  a12bee 
#1 ·
What is the difference Dodge Charger and Dodge Challenger

Can anyone who knows please educate a poor Alien FROM ......on the difference between a Dodge Charger and a Dodge Challenger of old!

I ain't stupid, just ignorant :shock: Did I really say that :?

#4 ·
Re: What is the difference Dodge Charger and Dodge Challeng

Cucamonga Red RT said:
Can anyone who knows please educate a poor Alien FROM ......on the difference between a Dodge Charger and a Dodge Challenger of old!
They are body designations for the Chrysler cars - just like the Magnum and 300 are LX cars.

The B body was around since the early 60s, and tended to be mid-sized cars of varying performance levels.

Chargers, Coronets, Satellites, GTX, Roadrunners, Darts, etc.

The E Body was created as a smaller, sportier pony car. They were the Dodge Challenger and the Plymouth Baracuda/'Cuda.

C-Bodies were the land yachts - 300s, Fury, Polara, Monaco, etc. The Fury actually went FROM a B-Body until 66, a C Body for 67-74, and then back to B Body through 78.

#6 ·
Cucamonga Red RT said:
Thank you all.

Did I get a sticker shock when I saw the price for the Callenger RT :shock:

Buy a house or buy a Challenger RT?
depends on the year...70-71 challenger r/ts are much more valuable because htey had big blocks, after 71, 72+ only had the 340 as the R/T motor, as the big blocks went bye bye after 71. in 74, they introduced the 360, but it made less power than any iteration of the 340.

#7 ·
The price of E bodies like the Challenger are insane. The price of Chargers is only rediculous. :lol:

To help out, here's a general breakdown of Mopars FROM the muscle car era. I know I'll miss plenty.

A Bodies - smallest cars in the lineup
All Darts after 1962(?)
All Valiants
Barracudas through 1969

B Bodies - midsize cars
Satellite
Charger
Road Runner
GTX
Super Bee
Coronet
Furies through 1964 were a mid size car, but they might not have been called a B body

C Bodies - full size cars
All Chryslers and Imperials
Furies after 1964
Monaco
VIP

E Bodies - Pony cars between A and B bodies
1970-1974 Barracudas
All Challengers

The E bodies were built for AAR racing, but didn't do very well. They were too heavy.

For some reason, E body Barracudas command a higher price than a comparable Challenger.

#9 ·
convbcuda said:
The price of E bodies like the Challenger are insane. The price of Chargers is only rediculous. :lol:

To help out, here's a general breakdown of Mopars FROM the muscle car era. I know I'll miss plenty.

A Bodies - smallest cars in the lineup
All Darts after 1962(?)
All Valiants
Barracudas through 1969
All Dusters
All Scamps

B Bodies - midsize cars
Satellite
Charger
Road Runner
GTX
Super Bee
Coronet
Furies through 1964 were a mid size car, but they might not have been called a B body

C Bodies - full size cars
All Chryslers and Imperials
Furies after 1964
Monaco
VIP

E Bodies - Pony cars between A and B bodies
1970-1974 Barracudas
All Challengers

The E bodies were built for AAR racing, but didn't do very well. They were too heavy.

For some reason, E body Barracudas command a higher price than a comparable Challenger.
fixed ;)

#12 ·
Cucamonga Red RT said:
Thank you all.

Did I get a sticker shock when I saw the price for the Callenger RT :shock:

Buy a house or buy a Challenger RT?
Bahahaha. Welcome. If you can get a nice clean driver for under 20-25 you're doing okay. Makes holding onto the mustang a while longer look pretty good huh? :)

#14 ·
Yeah, they only made about a million Mustangs per year, so they're cheap. I think you can build an entire 66 Mustang with aftermarket parts if you just have a roof. Oh, and those parts cost 1/3 of what Mopar parts cost.

Don't get me wrong, Mustangs are neat little cars. But, when I watch those restoration shows and they ORDER a complete reproduction console, it just really ticks me off when they also talk about how tough it is to restore those cars.

#17 ·
DMAG said:
I would give my left arm for a Challenger. Best looking muscle car era vehicle IMHO.

Of course, I'd still owe after giving my arm...they'd probably want a leg or two as well. ;)
I bought this at a grocery store about 6 months ago for $6. I haven't ever gotten around to hanging it in the garage...

#18 ·
convbcuda said:
Cucamonga Red RT said:
You feel better? :wink:
Yeah, ya need to vent every so often. :lol: For my 67 Barracuda, the lower trunk trim is impossible to find in good condition. If 1 showed up on eBay, it would go for close to $300. This is for a fairly simple piece of aluminum.
think thats bad? try to find a set of grille surrounds for a 67 Coronet. ones in fairly better than bad go for $100 a pair, decent, $400-$600, and good condition, about $1200-$1500 for a set. the center piece for a 67 Coronet R/T's grille in good condition will go for $350. A good finish panel for the Coronet is another story too. I'm just happy we have all the trim on the barracuda, since we don't have to hunt for it...we have been picking up alot more parts for it to keep it looking nice while goin downt he track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.