Post Thanks / Like

Rear end noise when turning

2016 Scat Pack A8 with 750 miles.
    Just noticed a "rubbing or growling" noise in the rear when making either left or right turns at low speed - like when I turn into the garage. Took it to dealer and did some figure 8s and he heard it but had no clue what was causing it.

I saw several posts on the Hellcat forum of same issue. They said its the CF plates rubbing in the rear end LCD.Some said they drained and changed oil and added a friction reducer / modifier additive. Some said it's no problem and will go away. Others said dealers have replaced the rear end.

Can any of you guys give me some help or advice here?

Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed the same thing. Sounded like the fender rubbing the tire. It happened when driving straight. It went away though. See what happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't heard any growling out of mine, but do have a bit of gear whine at light load/throttle conditions that is annoying me. Taking her in on Tuesday for a checkup....whine, driveline slack/clunk when on/off the throttle, and strange shift behavior on the 4-3, 3-2 downshifts in auto mode...doesn't act odd in manual mode.
    Lonnie
    2016 Challenger Scat Pack...Go Mango...leather package..A8 trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine has the same noise when turning into driveway, parking spots. Took it to the dealer and they told me it's a normal noise to hear when cranking the wheel all the way in one direction. But that is something I don't do and don't believe in doing. So I said basically you have no idea and your giving me some b.s reason, he pretty much agreed. It's going back in for that noise and a irregular idol on cold start.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is an update for 6.4L pcm. There is also a update for 6.4L & 6.2L transmissions built on or before 8/5/16. Had mine updated and don't notice it growling anymore, you might catch a hint of it here and there. Transmission update fixes a few downshifts including 2nd-1st. It doesn't slam into first when coming to a stop
    Last edited by Hemi 392; 10-26-2016 at 09:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if you/anyone found a fix for this, but unfortunately I have the same problem as well. 2015 Dodge Charger Scat Pack with 18K+ miles.

I also have an issue where the car transmission sometimes goes from 1st to 2nd, but if feels like its trying to jump to 3rd gear on cold and warm starts. It's almost as soon as I pull off from 1st to 2nd the car RPMs increases from anywhere between 2K to 2700 before I reach second gear. I'm only giving it a light load on a flat straight road.

I did complete PCM/Trans/HVAC update (not expecting it to fix the first problem), but the tranny issue is still present.

Post Thanks / Like
    2016 Scat Pack here and I have the same issue. I received a BS answer from the Dealer as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    All of these BS responses from dealers is promising. *cough.

I have the same symptoms, slow speed, growling in turns only, forward or reverse doesn't make a difference. I have Not taken it in yet, and not sure if I will after hearing everyone's feedback thus far. I may, however, go in and have them load the update on the transmission and see if it changes anything. I've also noticed the bump into 1st from 2nd from time to time.
    Granite Crystal Charger SP '16
    11.89 PB

LMI True CAI - 185 Tstat - HemiFever e-Tune

-FLY NAVY-

Post Thanks / Like
    I took my Scat to the "stealership" in DEC and they had it for 2 weeks. They determined that my tires were causing the noise. Their response to this was 1400 dollars for 4 new tires and a 4 wheel alignment. Total BS.

As for the transmission, I was told that the car "remembers" how you drive so they reset the learning software. It worked for 1wk and went back to the same thing again.

Lastly, I asked about the hood alignment be off in the front. I told them that I had a small dent removed from the quarter panel left side and the front bumper repainted. Of course I should've said nothing, but I was an honest guy about it. So they told me my bumper was the issue to go to the body shop next door. Come on. For the hood being misaligned from the beginning?

Essentially nothing got done.

Lessons learned.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Scat Pack Forums mobile app
    2015 Dodge Charger Scat Pack - Jazz Blu
    2014 Dodge Charger R/T Max - Traded

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same noise coming from the rear of my 2015 Charger Scat. It always there at low speeds when turning into a driveway or around a 180 degree turn like in a parking garage (I do this daily). I took it to the dealer and they heard the same thing and did admit it was not correct. They kept it for 3 days while waiting for a special differential fluid to come in. They added this and claimed it fixed it. Well it didn't and is just as bad as it has always been. I haven't had time to take it in again but will be doing so again soon and will report my results. I'm not a mechanic, but to me it almost sounds like a tire rubbing, but I'm sure it's not this because I bought brand new tires a month ago and it is still there.
    2015 Dodge Charger Scat Pack - Billet Silver
    Tampa, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    I swapped out the diff oil last week. Added Mobil 1 75W-140 which already has friction modifiers in it. To tell you the truth, the sound seemed to have disappeared... then it came back same as always. In fact, I think the sound is reduced or gone with cold gear oil, intensifies as the oil heats up, but this is a guess and something I'll have to keep an ear out for.

I'm tempted to try other fluids - RP, Amsoil, before I even bother taking it to the dealership.
    Granite Crystal Charger SP '16
    11.89 PB

LMI True CAI - 185 Tstat - HemiFever e-Tune

-FLY NAVY-

Share This Thread