Post Thanks / Like

New Magnum SRT8 Owner - Observations & Questions

I've always loved the Magnums and was looking for an RT as a daily driver but found this 2007 SRT8 with 34K miles. I look forward to the relationship. I'm a Mopar guy and this is a good companion for our 1968 Chrysler Town & Country.

Service so far: Exchanged brake, PS, trans, diff fluids. Rear pads. Waxed paint but will need some more work to bring it up.

Good
    -Interior in like new condition.
    -New tires, Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's, but all the same size - 245's.
    -Amazing acceleration, braking, and grip.
    -Tracks true on the highway.
    -Tored is very red.
    -No steel flakes in the rear end or transmission when drained
    -New front brake pads
    -Accelerator pedal is very progressive
    -Steering feels good
    -Stereo is pretty good, boom box in back occasionally vibrates

Bad
    -Choppy ride over small stuff and clunky front suspension
    -Front fascia repainted and does not match exactly, also not good panel fit at hood. Scraped up underneath.
    -Ok 21, 22mpg on the highway is not horrible and not unexpected
    -Perceptible light groaning sound at highway speeds, sounds like U-joint. Visual inspection of rubber disks look ok.
    -Rear pads were worn out. Read in the forum that this is not uncommon for this car. Must be a lot skid control intervention going on.
    -Interior bits are cheapo: buttons, switches and plastics
    -The black trim was horribly faded. Applied some Back-to-Black but will need a more permanent solution.
    -Headllight covers are oxidized.
    -Need to put a hitch on for the bike rack but don't want to cut a divot out of the fascia.

I would appreciate any advice or feedback. Thanks, Ed
    Likes blue02 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You can mount up an undercarrriage hitch from Curt, #12240. Bolted right onto my SXT, I'd think it would do the same for SRT. No cutting of anything requires as it bolts to the frame through existing holes. I did have to get a hitch extension so that the ball and hitch weren't jammed right up against my rear fascia. I tow a motorcycle trailer occasionally when I travel.

http://www.curtmfg.com/part/12240

On the switches, I agree with you. My 08 SXT has about 160,000 miles on it (mostly me) and I have had to fix the driver door wiring harness, replace a mirror control switch, replace the clockspring, replace some resistor thingy in the heater vent system, and am now exploring the failing speed control switch. It does make a few creaky/clunky noises on occasion from the front end on occasion but every time my mechanic checks it out he says it is fine so since I trust him I'm letting it go. Worth keeping up with the little fixes for me since I really enjoy the car.
    Last edited by heresolong; 02-17-2017 at 01:18 PM.
    2008 Dodge Magnum SXT Inferno Red AWD 3.5L V6 Bone stock (for now)

Post Thanks / Like
    The black trim on the B pillar and C pillar can be polished, painted or replaced. I prefer polished since its the cheapest and easiest. You need a power tool whether its a dual action polisher or just a drill attachment. You can try a 3" pad with some rubbing compound and then polish to remove the oxidation and bring back a nice shine to it. You can also try this on the A pillar trim but that is a bit trickier, but much easier to replace.

The headlight covers are also in need of a good sanding/polish. 3m part# 39084 is a great kit and even better used with a power tool and finished with a fine polish.
    Last edited by BM_SRT; 02-17-2017 at 01:56 PM.
    2006 300c SRT8
    PWR Ported Heads | SRT Max Cam | 3.55 Getrag | GTP Ported Intake Manifold | Kooks Longtubes | Corsa Sport / SRT Resonators | AMG 8 Piston Brake Calipers | Hemituner 6,800 TCM | BT Catch Can | LMI True CAI V2 | Tranzformer | MM 87mm TB | Johan Tuned | REM Adjustable Endlinks & Front/Rear Shock Braces | 33/22mm Front/Rear Sway Bars | Michelin Pilot Super Sport 295/35/20 & 255/40/20 | 10" Widened Oem Wheels | LC-2 Wideband Analog Output to Trinity | Mishimoto Full Aluminum Radiator

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback. I have a Curt hitch in the family already and very happy with it. I wasn't sure if the SRT8 had a lower fascia than the other Magnum trim lines that would interfere. I will try the 3M kit. I've used another kit with disappointing results but I didn't use a power tool, just elbow grease.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought new head lights from rockauto for under $250.

Black Charger SRT8 on 24"x10" wheels, lambo doors, hid head light & fog lights, led interior/blinker/license plate/.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought new head lights from rockauto for under $250.[/QUOTE]

I checked it, $230 per side.

Share This Thread