Post Thanks / Like

The Jeep Trackhawk is the Greatest Sport Utility Vehicle Ever

By Patrick Rall, LXForums Editorial Staff

Jeep Trackhawk
    The Greatest Sport Utility Vehicle Ever. Period.

We have known for more than a year that a Hellcat-powered Jeep Grand Cherokee was coming, but last week at the opening day of the 2017 New York Auto Show, the Trackhawk finally, officially met the world – and it was worth every second of the wait.

We knew that the Jeep Trackhawk would be awesome, but there were rumors that it would pack less power than the Hellcat cars in an effort to preserve the all-wheel drive components. These rumors insisted that during the development phases, the transfer case was being chewed up by the 707 horsepower Hemi, but any problems in that department must have been resolved – as the Hellcat Jeep packs the same 707 horsepower as the Hellcat cars.

707 horsepower makes the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk the most powerful SUV in the world.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk does have 5 fewer pound-feet of torque, but what little performance is lost due to the torque difference is made up for with the advanced, heavy duty all-wheel drive system. With the new Track mode, which sends 70% of the power to the rear wheels and 30% to the front, the Trackhawk will move out from a stop to 60 miles per hour in just 3.5 seconds – making it just as quick as a well driven Hellcat car, even though it weighs around a thousand pounds more than the Hellcat Challenger.

Part of the reason that the Trackhawk is so quick is that the blown SUV features the Torque Reserve system from the new Dodge Challenger SRT Demon, which allows the Hellcat-powered Jeep to launch at a higher boost level than the Hellcat cars, so this SUV leaves the line with far more torque than the cars and that is possible thanks to the advanced all-wheel drive system.

With a 0-60 time of just 3.5 seconds, which is likely easier to replicate with the Jeep than the Hellcat cars, the Trackhawk is the quickest SUV in the world.

In addition to getting up to 60 miles per hour in a hurry, the Hellcat-powered Trackhawk will blast through the quarter mile in just 11.6 seconds with a trap speed of 116 miles per hour. No other gasoline powered SUV in the world can challenge the Trackhawk on a drag strip, making it the quickest in the world in this metric as well as 0-60.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk is quick, but it is also very fast, with a top speed of 180 miles per hour. In fact, that makes it the fastest production SUV in the world as well.

The closest competition for the supercharged Jeep is the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, which costs $161,600. The Porsche has a twin turbo V8 that delivers 570hp and 590lb-ft of torque to all four wheels, allowing it to hit 60 in 3.8 seconds en route to a top speed of 176 miles per hour. Information around the internet suggests that the Turbo S will run the quarter mile in the low 12-second range.

In addition to the monster Hemi making this Jeep the quickest, the fastest and the most powerful SUV in the world, the SRT team has equipped it with the biggest production braking package ever offered by the brand, with 15.75” Brembo rotors under 6-piston calipers helping this 5,000+ pound SUV get stopped from 60 miles per hour in just 114 feet. According to GM, the 2017 Camaro ZL1 stops from 60 in 107 feet, so this two and a half ton SUV will stop almost as well as the top of the line Camaro.

Oh, and on top of the Jeep Trackhawk being the quickest, the fastest and the most powerful SUV in the world with a high tech suspension system and a braking system which allows it to compete with Chevy’s best Camaro – it will tow 7,200lbs. This means that you could use this Jeep to tow your Hellcat Challenger to the drag strip, drop the trailer and – if your Hellcat Challenger is stock – you could turn times within a half second of your Mopar muscle car.

The Trackhawk is an amazing SUV on every front, proving to be the best in every single “sport” category, without compromising the “utility” aspect of the Grand Cherokee. It is truly the super-sport utility vehicle that we have all been hoping for, and when it arrives, FCA will have yet another in a long list of segment leading performance claims.

The only question left with the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk is the pricing. The current Grand Cherokee SRT with the 392 Hemi starts around $66,000. The Hellcat Challenger is $14,000 more than the SRT 392 model and the Hellcat Charger is $16,500 more than the SRT 392 Charger. In addition to the upgraded engine, the Trackhawk will have a beefed up transmission, a beefed up transfer case, a stronger driveshaft and stronger axle shafts, so the difference between the SRT 392 Jeep and the Trackhawk should be a bit higher than that of the Hellcat Dodge cars.

If the Trackhawk is $20,000 more than the SRT 392 Jeep, we will be looking at an MSRP starting around $86,000. Fortunately, SUVs aren’t subject to gas guzzler tax, so it will avoid those mandatory charges from the Dodge cars, but when we add on all of the taxes and options, the price could easily climb up past the $90k mark.

Some people might complain that is too big a price tag for a Jeep Grand Cherokee, but when you consider the fact that the Trackhawk will handily beat the $161,600 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S in every type of competition – while also towing 7,200lbs when it isn’t racing – the Jeep is a bargain in the premium performance SUV segment.

Finally, the 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk doesn’t have a particularly distinct exterior design, with some simple badges, a new exhaust tip design and unique wheels, but on the inside, the supercharged SUV gets a more luxurious cabin than the SRT 392 models. In addition to the newest version of the UConnect infotainment system and the newest version of the SRT Performance Pages app with all sorts of performance timers, the Trackhawk has far more leather trim, a 200mph speedometer, a flat-bottomed performance steering wheel, package-specific emblems, a panoramic sunroof and a premium sound system.

The Trackhawk will hit dealerships later this year and pricing will be announced closer to the on-sale date, but we know that when it arrives – it will be the highest performance SUV in the world.
    dave
    site admin
    Thanks Tikibeast thanked for this post
    Likes Beach Goat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    FCA is out taking names...between the Demon and the Trackhawk we're king of the mountain!
    Current
    His: 2006 MSRT8, K&N CAI, built and tuned by MPR Motorsports (WhiteHemi), forged pistons and a HHP Stg 2r cam, HHP HEMITUNER TCM, Paramount Stg 2 valve body, Mopar Performance high stall converter, Flowmaster Super 10s, 180° t-stat, Tranzformer, Street Edge coilovers, 275/35/20 Continental ExtremeContact DW (square), otherwise bone stock.
    397rwhp/399rwtq
    Personal best 8.473 in the 1/8 and spinning like a fool, on old Toyos, pre Tranzformer, old suspension, and old stock engine, new times to come.

Hers: 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, bone stock and slow as a rock...
    MOPAR360
    Likes levi, Djvann, MagnumClub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome Jeep I just think they could have gave it better model name, Jeep Trackhawk just doesn't roll off the tongue well.
    PHATHEMI

Post Thanks / Like
    MOPAR says, 8----D SUK it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums
    345 HEMI+ Stainless Power LT's. Knight Performance Dyno Tune. Magnaflow exhaust
    PB 13.2 105mph-STOCK
    Modded 1/4 coming soon...

"If your not first, your last"
    Ricky Bobby

Post Thanks / Like
    More exciting than the Demon :P

I have to wonder, if Trump and his coming relaxed EPA regulations didn't win the election, would they have even moved forward with the Demon or Trackhawk?

Post Thanks / Like
    Pardon me, I'm gonna go touch myself.
    DAVE -- 2007 Grand Cherokee SRT8: Mopar exhaust, Volant CAI, DCX Depot CMR tune, BT catch can, BWoody springs and end links, Jeepin by AL upper control arms

Can you hyperground the leads to the mason jar and get even more torque and hp?

Thumpr is offline The truth is rarely pure & never simple.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I just got a bit "hard" and I am a woman.

All I can say is "ME WANTS ONE"!!!!

Not sure what the price will be up here in the enemy territory especially with those duties and taxes to export to the country it is assembled in. But I am sure any dealer who gets one of these on their lot is going to tack on a very nice "Market Adjustment" charge.

Catch me if you can...............

2010 SRT8 Furious Fuchsia, 6 Speed
    #218 of 400

Proud Member of BC Modern Mopar
    Likes run2jeepn, Tikibeast liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpr View Post
    I think I just got a bit "hard" and I am a woman.

All I can say is "ME WANTS ONE"!!!!

Not sure what the price will be up here in the enemy territory especially with those duties and taxes to export to the country it is assembled in. But I am sure any dealer who gets one of these on their lot is going to tack on a very nice "Market Adjustment" charge.
    Yeah I'm curious to see what kind of "Market Adjustments" we get down here...

Post Thanks / Like
    I can happily say that in my city, "market adjustment" normally isn't crazy. Now, I did see a dealership sell a 15 Mustang GT350 for like 120k...might've been more. It made yahoo news. But that aside, it's normally fairly non existent. This is such an exciting time for FCA.
    Quote Originally Posted by STREET LIFE R/T View Post
    The size of his wheels and stance not being right makes him a drug dealer..WTF.
    Likes Tikibeast liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drift_sucky View Post
    I can happily say that in my city, "market adjustment" normally isn't crazy. Now, I did see a dealership sell a 15 Mustang GT350 for like 120k...might've been more. It made yahoo news. But that aside, it's normally fairly non existent. This is such an exciting time for FCA.
    I can't look at your avatar without immediately wanting a beer...