Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

@Dodge Challenger SRT Demon is Here

By Patrick Rall, LXForums Editorial Staff

The Demon is HERE!!

The 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon made its grand debut tonight in New York City, ending the months of speculation on the quickest production road car in the world, the most powerful American production road car ever and the first production car with street legal tires to lift the front wheels off of the ground on a hard launch.

You read that right – the new Demon lifts the front wheels on a hard launch.

Over the course of the past few months, we have talked at length about the many unique features of the 2018 Challenger Demon, such as the weight reduction efforts, the intercooler chiller system, the after-run cooling system, the factory drag radial tires, the goodies in the Demon Crate, the specially tuned adaptive suspension setup, the TransBrake and the stronger drivetrain components. These bits and pieces all play a big role in helping the new Demon lift the tires on launch, but the heart of this effort is the supercharged Hemi engine.

The 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon is powered by a similar 6.2L Hemi as the Hellcat cars, except the Demon’s engine has a higher strength bottom end (crankshaft, connecting rods and pistons), stronger valve train components, an improved oiling system and a higher volume fuel system – along with a new, larger supercharger.

The Hellcat Challenger has a 2.4L supercharger which helps that 6.2L engine produce 707 horsepower and 650lb-ft of torque on premium gasoline. The Demon Challenger has a 2.7L supercharger, which when combined with the other unique features, delivers 808 horsepower and 717lb-ft of torque when running premium unleaded gasoline (91+). However, when you swap in the high performance PCM from the Demon Crate and add the High Octane gasoline button to run 100+ octane race gas, the output climbs to 840 horsepower and 770lb-ft of torque.

When you couple that 100-octane power with all of the other unique features, the 2018 Demon launches hard enough to rip the front wheels off of the ground, but more importantly, the high tech drivetrain makes this Challenger the quickest production road car in the world.

The Demon dashes from a stop to 60mph in just 2.3 seconds and when making the 0-60 run with rollout (which is preferred by automakers who don’t have cars which can launch well from a dig), the new Challenger gets to 60 in just 2.1 seconds. No production road car in the world can get from 0-60 in less time than the new Demon – not the Tesla P100D, not the Bugatti Chiron, not LaFerrari, not the Porsche 918.

Along the same lines, the 2018 Demon is the quickest car in the world when sprinting from 0-100, doing so in just 5.1 seconds and most importantly, the newest Challenger is the quickest production road car in the world when blasting down the quarter mile – doing so in 9.65 seconds at 140 miles per hour.
    With a quarter mile record of 9.65 at 140mph, the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon is officially the quickest production road car in the world – beating the record of the Bugatti Veyron which was set back in 2011.

Those record times mentioned above are with the race gas PCM and the skinny front tires, but even when running on premium gasoline with the 315s up front – the new Demon still ran a 9.90 with the front wheels off of the ground on launch.

With tonight’s debut of the new Challenger Demon, we learned just about everything that we have been wondering about over the past few months, but we didn’t learn the price of the car. We did learn that the Demon doesn’t come with a passenger seat, a rear seat or trunk trim, but each of those items can be added for $1 each when ordering the car. The Demon Crate, which comes with the skinny front wheels, the tools needed to change the tires at the track, a tool bag, the high performance PCM, a new air filter, the new switch panel and other trim items also costs just $1, so getting all of the optional items for the new Demon will only add $4 to the final price.

Finally, the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon will be limited, but it won’t be as limited as some people had feared. Dodge will build a total of 3,300 Demons for the 2018 model year only (there are no plans to offer it for 2019) with 3,000 in the US and 300 in Canada. Every dealership will be told how any units they will be getting in advance and to try to prevent dealers from ordering cars just to mark them up, every car has to have a customer’s name when ordering. This name goes on all of the vehicles information – including the leather-bound Demon manual which explains all of the features and how to get the most out of the car at the track. This book also has a log section for racers to keep track of their best times.

Oh, since you were likely wondering, yes, the Demon does come with the standard FCA 3-year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and the 5-year/50,000 mile drivetrain warranty and this applies to the car when being run at the drag strip with the 100-octane performance tune. Owners who change boost pressure, the tune, add nitrous or make any other changes will run into warranty issues, but the Demon is literally a 9.65 car with a full factory warranty.

The 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon is slated to reach dealerships in the late summer, so buyers around the country should be able to get to their local track during the 2017 racing season.
    dave
    site admin
    Thanks Tikibeast, lmllopez thanked for this post
    Likes scorpio09c, 4046DE, jjo, Sharma, lmllopez and 3 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    How much?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    It's even quicker than the zx14 in the 1/4..
    Likes Rushtk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    840 rwhp? If so that rumored 1023 hp is true at the crank considering that it weighs over 4200 lbs and has an automatic transmission
    Likes Rushtk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    840 does seem low to propel 4400 lbs to 140 mph.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    2016 Challenger SRT 392, A8, Technology Group

Post Thanks / Like
    The Wallace Racing calculator says 140 mph and 4400 lbs requires about 930 hp.

Guess the number is underrated or that Demon transbrake and boost launch really works.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's 200lb less than a standard Hellcat. Not 4400lb.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Scat Pack Forums mobile app
    2006 Dodge Charger Daytona TorRed #1354, MagnaFlow - Tune - Gears - Homemade Air Grabber.
    Watch SaabKyle review my old Charger Scat Pack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6OA...ezVy7g&index=3

I detail cars in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area! 757-435-4027

Post Thanks / Like
    insert standing ovation

5.7 Personal Best: Heads, Cam and Spray - 11.46 w 1.59 60'
    6.1 Personal Best: Forged, Novi 1500 and Spray - 10.405 1.566 60' @ 129.69
    7.4 Personal Best: Aluminum 449 - 10.736 ET , 1.589 60', 125.05 MPH NA
    7.0 Personal Best: Iron 426 - Whipple 2.9 - 10.5 @ 132 1.6x 60' . . just getting started

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    $85,000 starting, 3000 units for US and 300 for Canada
    2009 Stone White Challenger R/T 6-Speed
    D1 w/ Stage 2 Intercooler||180 Jet Tstat||85mm ported throttle body||Petty's Garage Strut Brace
    ARH Longtubes||Corsa Sport Exhaust||Diablotoona email tune

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach Goat View Post
    It's 200lb less than a standard Hellcat. Not 4400lb.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Scat Pack Forums mobile app
    Curb weight is 4280 lbs and still need a driver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sign me up

Sent from my SM-G935V using Scat Pack Forums mobile app
    Thanks willyb thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow...quicker than the bugatti. I'd love to see that race...awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Scat Pack Forums mobile app
    2016 Charger RT Scat Pack 392 Hemi - pitch black w/black alcantara interior, sunroof, nav and Beats audio. My first Mopar!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slidd View Post
    The Wallace Racing calculator says 140 mph and 4400 lbs requires about 930 hp.

Guess the number is underrated or that Demon transbrake and boost launch really works.

I don't know about all the online calculators, but I know some use formulas that were derived from known data points, and they were curve fit probably using "normal" cars' data (12 to 15 second cars). With both a relatively high test weight and a really high trap speed, the Demon's numbers fall outside of the calculator's sweet spot. I think that combined with the launch aids explain why the advertised hp seems low for the performance. It probably is under rated a bit, too, but I doubt not by much.

What we need now is a chart that plots the curve of insurance premiums for SRTs, Hellcats, and Demons. :O

Sent from my VS985 4G using Scat Pack Forums mobile app
    Likes Thumpr liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STREET LIFE R/T View Post
    The size of his wheels and stance not being right makes him a drug dealer..WTF.
    Likes Tikibeast, UpInSmoke, Thumpr, done, 4046DE and 5 others liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast