Post Thanks / Like

Dodge Challenger Demon Runs on 100 Octane Comes with an Extra PCM and Dual Fuel Pumps

By Patrick Rall, LXForums Editorial Staff

Dodge Challenger Demon Runs on 100 Octane
    ***Comes with an Extra PCM and Dual Fuel Pumps***

When the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon debuts next week, it will come with a second PCM as part of the Demon Crate package and this second PCM is tuned to run on 100 octane racing gas. The Demon Crate also includes a new switch panel for the center stack (shown above) and an upgraded fuel system with dual fuel pumps, larger fuel injectors and higher pressure fuel rails.

When the Demon Crate was introduced a few months back, we learned that it would come filled with skinny front wheels, the tools needed to switch the front wheels at the track and undisclosed “Direct Connection Performance Parts”. At the time, we didn’t know what those performance parts were, but now we know that at least some of them are the high performance Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and a new switch panel which allows the driver to activate that specially tuned PCM with the push of a button.

With the standard PCM which comes in the 2018 Demon from the factory, the supercharged Hemi is tuned to make big power on premium 91 octane fuel, but when the PCM from the Demon Crate is installed, the engine will run on 100 octane and make much bigger power. Unfortunately, we don’t know how much power the Demon makes in either mode, but we can expect some impressive numbers from the only production road car to ever be designed to run on race gas.

Best of all, thanks to sensor systems of the Hemi engine, the 2018 Demon will run on 91 octane gasoline with the high performance PCM, but when the driver fills the tank with 100 octane and pushes the button on the dash – the computer adjusts the engine parameters to make even more power. However, should you try to engage the race fuel mode without the proper octane of fuel in the tank, the system will notify the driver of the low octane fuel and force the lower performance mode. This prevents owners from trying to extract peak power with lower octane gasoline, protecting the engine from the damage which comes from running big boost and timing on cheap gas. Also, you can mix the 100 octane gasoline with lower octane fuel and provided that the resulting mix is high enough octane, the system will adjust accordingly.

Again, while we don’t get any power numbers or track times, today’s announcement promises that “drag racers will see big changes in elapsed time (ET) with the high-octane fuel.”

Finally, in addition to the high performance PCM with the 100 octane engine tune and the high octane fuel button on the dash, the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon will also feature a dual fuel pump setup (the Hellcat only has one fuel pump), along with larger fuel injectors and higher volume fuel rails – allowing this new Mopar muscle car keep plenty of fuel flowing to the supercharged engine for the best possible results.

Last edited by MagnumClub; 04-06-2017 at 09:57 AM.
    dave
    site admin
    Thanks HWDan thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to say I find myself looking forward to these updates on Thursdays. Just keeps getting better and better.

5.7 Personal Best: Heads, Cam and Spray - 11.46 w 1.59 60'
    6.1 Personal Best: Forged, Novi 1500 and Spray - 10.405 1.566 60' @ 129.69
    7.4 Personal Best: Aluminum 449 - 10.736 ET , 1.589 60', 125.05 MPH NA
    7.0 Personal Best: Iron 426 - Whipple 2.9 - 10.5 @ 132 1.6x 60' . . just getting started
    Thanks MagnumClub thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynmag View Post
    I have to say I find myself looking forward to these updates on Thursdays. Just keeps getting better and better.
    Be ready, the next one is Tomorrow... Going to screw with you and make the final one before release on Friday.
    2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8.LMI True , Heartthrob cat back, 180* T-stat, Diablosport I2.
    Likes bklynmag liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That is sickeningly awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Scat Pack Forums mobile app
    2006 Dodge Charger Daytona TorRed #1354, MagnaFlow - Tune - Gears - Homemade Air Grabber.
    Watch SaabKyle review my old Charger Scat Pack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6OA...ezVy7g&index=3

I detail cars in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area! 757-435-4027

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynmag View Post

Ditto.

I love Dodge. They just don't give a f*ck. Making badass car, just to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tomorrow's video is called Judgement Day. Makes me think they will show the quarter mile times.
    2009 Stone White Challenger R/T 6-Speed
    D1 w/ Stage 2 Intercooler||180 Jet Tstat||85mm ported throttle body||Petty's Garage Strut Brace
    ARH Longtubes||Corsa Sport Exhaust||Diablotoona email tune

Post Thanks / Like
    Reminds me of the stage 2 kit for the SRT4. It came with a modified PCM and a high octane fuel switch that replaced the washer fluid sprayer switch (as I recall-too many years ago).
    '06 Bright Silver Metallic Charger SRT8 (SOLD)
    '10 Kona Blue/White stripe Shelby GT500 (SOLD)
    '11 Radiant Silver Metallic Cadillac CTS-V Coupe (SOLD)
    '08 Performance White/Blue stripe Shelby GT500 (SOLD)
    '12 Performance White/Stripe delete GT500 (SOLD)
    '13 Performance White/Blue stripe GT500 (SOLD)
    '17 White Knuckle Charger HC

Post Thanks / Like
    Third time's the charm. For some reason when I embed the twitter video it freezes the post and I can't edit it so...

Here is the video:

Seems that they removed it from their site but its up on twitter and youtube.

Can't read the time slip but Dodge seems to be pretty happy with it :D

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted on the portal page as well!