Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Write up would be great.... Sick of my caravan wheel -__-
    2007 SRT-8 Charger 11.84@119.37 -SOLD

2010 PCP 6 Speed SRT Challenger - Ksport Coilovers/Hurst Short Throw Shifter/SLP LM II Cat back/ P1 Blower w/ Red Race Valve/Inertia Super Ragin Trojan Boost Cam/JBA Longtube Headers w/ Catless Mids/Hellcat Satin Black Hood/ 392 Lip/Speedlogix Dual Pillar pod with AEM Wideband/Autometer Boost Gauge/ TSW Maribeau 20x9/10.5

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the design of that wheel much better. !!!

06 SRTC
    - SPC - Sways - Mopar Stage 1 - Drake FSB - LMI CF CAI - Corsa Extreme - 08+ Black Int. Conv. - Hurst - 91 Tune -

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ENUF PWR View Post
    How did you wire them to the volume switches? Do the volume buttons still work for volume when the paddles are used?
    I soldered them into the volume switch. I don't have a stock radio as I replaced it with a iPad mini. If you have a stock radio it would make the volume go up and down when you pull the paddles. It works great for me since I don't have the stock radio!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok here it is how I did it.

First I want to say THANK YOU to DEVILRT. You inspired me to get going on this mod again. I have been working on and off on this for a couple of years now. And I do not intend to Hi-jack your Thread.
    You started it. It’s yours.

Whoever is thinking about this mod let me warn you it is quite labor intense. It took me sometimes months to rethink and come up with a new idea and some people even may consider it as not save!

You take the newer model Steering Wheel and remove all the parts that are possible.
    Cut out the big white connector for the Steering Wheel heating system. You need the space for the 06-10 Steering Wheel (SW) switches. I didn’t even consider of connecting it. Who needs Steering Wheel heating on a anyway Hot Car!
    Then trim down the outside diameter of the spline on the SW itself until it fits snug in the Clockspring. Install the bolt and you have a first feel how it’s going to be like.
    DSC_0195 (640x360).jpg
    You will notice that the new SW doesn’t cover up the Clockspring. There is like a 3/8 inch gap between the SW and SW-Column. I did not find anything yet to cover it.
    DSC_0192 (640x360).jpg
    So then the hard part follows as DEVILRT already mentioned. Retrofit the 06-10 SW switches in the bezels of the new SW. Cutting sanding using glue, body-filler do fit checks and the whole bit until you can assemble the SW again and if it is to your liking. Then at the final end paint it or vinyl wrap it.
    The SW Harness from the 06-10 SW doesn’t need to be modified that much only the Connector to the Horn needs to be replaced. That is the easiest way.
    I did the direct wiring Shift Paddle mod with the AMG Paddles years ago. I can’t find this Post anymore. I don’t even remember if I saw it on LXF or on Custom Magnums Forum. Maybe someone can chime in and provide the link. So I did the same thing with the Paddles from the new SW. I took the Paddles apart and followed the lines on the Printplate to figure which pin to use.
    So finally it comes to the Air-Bag.
    DEVILRT mentioned that he simply changed the connectors to the Air-Bag. I was to chicken to do it. I was worried if I mix up the wires that the Air-Bag would ignite when I turn on the ignition.
    So I simply took the whole thing apart removed the Bag from the new SW and stuffed the 06-10 Air-Bag in the Housing of the new SW.
    And this is what some may consider as not save. It’s up to you!
    I bought a 2012 and a 2006 SW. so I could work on this mod and have one installed in the Car.
    You can use the SW’s from the 300, Charger, Challenger and even from the Grand Cherokee. They’re all the same. I installed an SRT SW from a Challenger in my 2011 Grand Cherokee as well. It was a plug and play mod there.
    I’m sorry for the flimsy Write Up. I’m much better in physically doing things like this mod than to write.

Cheers Martin
    Thanks Backes07 thanked for this post
    Likes 5280SRT8, Knight liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So in your 1st pic where you are using a ruler to measure the spline hole, did you have the grind the outer or inner portion of the hole?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowpow View Post
    Ok here it is how I did it.

First I want to say THANK YOU to DEVILRT. You inspired me to get going on this mod again. I have been working on and off on this for a couple of years now. And I do not intend to Hi-jack your Thread.
    You started it. It’s yours.

Whoever is thinking about this mod let me warn you it is quite labor intense. It took me sometimes months to rethink and come up with a new idea and some people even may consider it as not save!

You take the newer model Steering Wheel and remove all the parts that are possible.
    Cut out the big white connector for the Steering Wheel heating system. You need the space for the 06-10 Steering Wheel (SW) switches. I didn’t even consider of connecting it. Who needs Steering Wheel heating on a anyway Hot Car!
    Then trim down the outside diameter of the spline on the SW itself until it fits snug in the Clockspring. Install the bolt and you have a first feel how it’s going to be like.
    DSC_0195 (640x360).jpg
    You will notice that the new SW doesn’t cover up the Clockspring. There is like a 3/8 inch gap between the SW and SW-Column. I did not find anything yet to cover it.
    DSC_0192 (640x360).jpg
    So then the hard part follows as DEVILRT already mentioned. Retrofit the 06-10 SW switches in the bezels of the new SW. Cutting sanding using glue, body-filler do fit checks and the whole bit until you can assemble the SW again and if it is to your liking. Then at the final end paint it or vinyl wrap it.
    The SW Harness from the 06-10 SW doesn’t need to be modified that much only the Connector to the Horn needs to be replaced. That is the easiest way.
    I did the direct wiring Shift Paddle mod with the AMG Paddles years ago. I can’t find this Post anymore. I don’t even remember if I saw it on LXF or on Custom Magnums Forum. Maybe someone can chime in and provide the link. So I did the same thing with the Paddles from the new SW. I took the Paddles apart and followed the lines on the Printplate to figure which pin to use.
    So finally it comes to the Air-Bag.
    DEVILRT mentioned that he simply changed the connectors to the Air-Bag. I was to chicken to do it. I was worried if I mix up the wires that the Air-Bag would ignite when I turn on the ignition.
    So I simply took the whole thing apart removed the Bag from the new SW and stuffed the 06-10 Air-Bag in the Housing of the new SW.
    And this is what some may consider as not save. It’s up to you!
    I bought a 2012 and a 2006 SW. so I could work on this mod and have one installed in the Car.
    You can use the SW’s from the 300, Charger, Challenger and even from the Grand Cherokee. They’re all the same. I installed an SRT SW from a Challenger in my 2011 Grand Cherokee as well. It was a plug and play mod there.
    I’m sorry for the flimsy Write Up. I’m much better in physically doing things like this mod than to write.

Cheers Martin
    Doesn't actually seem too tough....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    2007 Steel Blue Charger AWD
    Gone But Not Forgotten

2008 Brilliant Black SRT

Post Thanks / Like
    You have to grind down the outer part.
    don't touch the inner part.
    Last edited by Snowpow; 04-18-2017 at 10:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So if I don't need to use the paddle shifters or any of the Buttons and just want the Cool look. All I have to do is grind that one part down to fit?

Charged Motorworks Bumper & Side Skirts, Hellcat Spoiler, Roof Spoiler w/LED, Daytona Diffuser, Dual Exhaust, Blastin Bob Tips, Jones Full Boar V-Tube Muffler, De-badged, Painted Tail-lights & Side Markers, Tinted Windows, 20x9 Machine Vipers, 275/40 Nexen, ST Coilovers, Street Scene Hood, Avin Radio, BigBully, BT Catch Can, 73mm TB, Hypertech Tune, NVX 6x9's, American Bass XR12, American Bass Amp, Frozen Rotors, Hawk Street5.0, RK Sports Trunk Filler, Hellwig 32/20mm Sway Bars, Flashtech Halo, Diode Dynamic Demon eye & HID.

http://www.ramrodreviews.com/automotive

Post Thanks / Like
    And your going to have to wire up the airbag.

Also what new connector did you use for the horn?
    Last edited by ENUF PWR; 04-19-2017 at 07:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you get the wheel and airbag? I have seen a few on eBay but they are $800 without the airbag! The airbags are another $270 or so. Is this a $1000 upgrade or are there other sources to get the wheel and airbag cheaper?

Post Thanks / Like
    You ca n just splice the wires for the Horn if you want. I just used the OEM Connector because of ease fore removal.
    I got the SW and Air Bag of fleabay. Yes they are pricey and in my case shipping the Air Bag to Europe was a big money issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any idea if a Viper Wheel will work? Or does it have to come from one of the SRT cars (Jeep, 300, challenger, or Charger)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Backes07 View Post
    Any idea if a Viper Wheel will work? Or does it have to come from one of the SRT cars (Jeep, 300, challenger, or Charger)

I think the viper airbags are a different shape than our in this model wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    How are you guys doing the cruise control? On the 08 the cruise control is on the wheel itself...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bugsy View Post
    I think the viper airbags are a different shape than our in this model wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah I could see that being an issue... Hmm..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Share This Thread