Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

LMI Hammer Design CAI Install Guide

In an effort to save a few trees, I have compiled a quick "how-to" for the install of the LMI Hammer Design CAI on any LX/LC from 2005-present.

Tools needed:

Inventory of parts supplied in kit:

Standard 5.7 OEM air box set up:

Remove plastic engine cover by simply pulling up on both sides (this step not required for 6.1 cars without cover):

Remove 10mm bolt holding OEM box to radiator support:

Remove single clamp at throttle body:

Unplug throttle body by sliding red clip back on plug then pressing tab in while pulling plug off:

Unplug IAT sensor in the same fashion as the throttle body:
    NOTE: LEAVE IAT SENSOR IN THE OEM TUBE AT THIS TIME!!!!

Remove entire OEM air box as one complete unit:

OEM air box removed:

Begin assembly of the LMI Hammer Design CAI on your bench top by inserting the Carbon Fiber tube into the filter as shown:

A small flat screw driver can help with opening up rubber flange of the filter to fit around the CF tube:

Position tube in filter as shown below. Be sure to have at least 1" of the tube inserted into the filter flange then tighten snug:

Install 3.5" silicon coupler onto small end of the CF tube as shown:

Be sure to leave at about an inch of the coupler overhanging the CF tube in order to attach to the throttle body. Loosely attach supplied T-bolt clamps at this time around the silicon coupler. You will tighten once LMI Hammer Design CAI is installed:

Now, go back to OEM intake and carefully remove the IAT sensor as shown. Be sure to get a firm grip on sensor and remove by twisting and pulling out at the same time. A little silicon spray lubricant helps greatly. BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE BLUE TIP OF THE SENSOR UPON REMOVAL!!!!!

Carefully insert the IAT sensor into the rubber grommet on the LMI Hammer Design CAI tube as shown. Again, a little lubricant will help greatly for safe insertion:

Install LMI Hammer Design CAI as one unit as shown:

Adjust the angle of the intake so that the CF tube is level with the radiator support and tighten T-blot clamps:
    NOTE: BE SURE TO ONLY TIGHTEN THE T-BOLT CLAMP ON THE CF TUBE SNUGLY. OVER TIGHTENING ON THE CF CAN CAUSE DEFORMATION OF THE TUBE. T-BOLT CLAMP ON THE THROTTLE BODY MUST BE TIGHTENED WELL TO ENSURE INTAKE STAYS POSITIONED CORRECTLY AND DOES NOT MOVE.

Plug both the IAT sensor and the throttle body back in and secured by sliding red clip back into place:

Next - install supplied oil breather filter by removing the clamp that comes on the filter:

Using a small amount of lubricant inside the flange of the oil breather filter, slide over the oil breather fitting on oil fill neck. This often takes a bit of firm persuation, but it will fit:

Reinstall clamp and tighten:

Replace plastic engine cover (if car is equipped with one) and double check all clamps and connections. Finished product will look like picture below:

Side note:

If your car is equipped with a lower air intake baffle that is down in the fender well, you will have to remove. You will know you have this, if when your OEM box is removed you see this:

First thing to do is remove drivers tire and pull back fender liner from front fascia. You will see a single, silver 10mm bolt head. This holds the lower baffle box in place:

Remove screw and pull, wiggle baffle box out. While your in there, remove the lower radiator baffle by undoing two simple push pins:

Removed:

This will allow for massive amounts of fresh air to enter into the engine bay where the Hammer Design CAI filter sits. This helps in maintaining close, or at ambient IAT temps!!!

Thats it!!! Now go drive your car and enjoy the sound and performance of you new LMI Hammer Design CAI!!!!!!
    ‚Äčwww.legmakerintakes.com
    9.39 @ 148 mph P
    WR forged 6.1 Procharger F1A Nitrous Outlet
    AfterHours Mopar Perf. installed!!!

"This is what I love about drag racing. I feel an intense focus as everything is extremely loud and quiet around me simultaneously. Nothing else besides me and my immediate environment exists for these short moments." - Budoboy
    Thanks jjsakobie thanked for this post
    Likes Tikibeast, jjsakobie, BrotherB liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If anyone really needs to use these directions, I suggest picking up the nearest hammer and hitting yourself in the head!
    Inferno Red 06' Charger SRT8...groups I,II,III and sunroof.
    Southern Hotrod P&P heads/SHR-CMG1 cam,HHP/BES ported Intake,BT ported TB,Protorque 2800 stall,Getrag w/3.73's,Kooks LT's/mid-pipes,Corsa cat-back,Carbon Fiber Airhammer CAI,Jet 180 tstat,Diablo Predator with custom CMR dynotune by HHP,BT polished catch can and some BT goodies.
    451RWHP/439RWTQ
    Likes Tikibeast, MattRobertson liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Just wondering, do the 2nd gen 300c 5.7 have a bottom part of oem box to remove for better air?
    2012 300c White rwd
    jba shortys & high flow mid
    magnaflow catbacks
    LMI Hammer cai,
    20'' staggered concave wheels
    srt8 grill & trunk spoiler

Post Thanks / Like
    If memory serves me correctly.....yes

it is not hard to miss. you will see something directly underneath the triangle shaped air inlet hole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice how to!

I run a small intake side business (not for LX cars though) and can tell you that having info like this availble helps out prospective clients a lot. Lots of emails come in asking how easy the install really is, seeing the actual install step by step with pics lets them know exactly what they are getting into.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks. yes, what seems simple to some, is not to others. i find having the directions set up like this makes it easier, cheaper, and more efficient.

Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad there's nothing for the Pentastar's...

:(

Post Thanks / Like
    I have some idea's........... just need a car in the shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a bracket for supporting the filter end?

Post Thanks / Like
    No need for it. The light weight construction of the intake allows for just the connection at the throttle body to support everything without issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Forgive me for being skeptical, but that is a very large cantilever with a flexible joint. The tube itself may be very lightweight but I'm sure the filter isn't. I also wouldn't trust a band clamp to hold the whole thing in place. On top of that it's attached to an engine that vibrates. I'd be concerned with eventual damage to the filter housing and the inner fender as they rub against each other.

However, I do like the design of the tube itself with the gradual tapper, I'd just like a bracket to support the filter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you run one, held one, or ever installed a LMI Hammer CAI?? Thanks for your input and not to be rude, but I guess after selling well over two thousand of these intakes in the last couple years without support issues when properly installed, I think I have the design pretty well figured out. Trust me, there is no need for any further support. If there was, I would have included that into my design.

fyi - the entire assembly, including filter, clamps, coupler, & tube weighs just under 2 lbs.
    Last edited by legmaker; 02-26-2014 at 03:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have to remove the lower air baffle (if so equipped)? I'm not real crazy about removing the fender lining on my brand new car (Charger), can't seem to ever get it perfectly back in place. My Hammer is supposed to arrive today. can't wait
    Last edited by Vanquished; 04-10-2014 at 11:04 AM.
    | www.AdWhois.com |
    Epic Dodge 100th Anniversary Commercial
    ... ... ...
    '18 Charger Scat Pack - Billet Silver | '15 Challenger RT Plus - Granite (Sold) | '13 Charger RT Plus - Pitch Black (Sold) | '12 Ford Focus Titanium - Silver (Sold) | '03 Mitsu Montero - Somekinda Blue (Sold)

Post Thanks / Like
    no, you don't have to as much on the later cars compared to the gen I cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick reply. If it won't make too much of a difference I'll probably leave the baffle in for now. Take it out once the car is a little older/I have some helping hands.
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread