Post Thanks / Like

LMI 392 True CAI Install Guide

In an effort to save a few trees, I have compiled a quick "how-to" for the install of the new LMI 392 True CAI

First - Remove OEM air box. Single 10mm bolt on radiator support, single nut on support bracket on timing cover, loosen clamp around throttle body, then carefully unplug IAT sensor. Lift entire OEM unit out in one piece.

Note: Remove the IAT sensor AFTER oem box is out by carefully turning the sensor counter-clockwise, then pull straight out.

Now......onto the install of the 392 True CAI!

Take inventory:

3 - 4" T-bolt clamps
    1 - 3.5" T-bolt clamp
    1 - S&B Filter
    1 - 4" 90* silicon elbow
    1 - 3.5" - 4" silicon reducer
    1 - 4" worm clamp
    1 - 9" IAT extension harness
    1 - Oil breather filter
    1 - LMI Decal
    1 - 4" CF tube with 28* bend (upper tube)
    1 - 4" CF tube with 45* bend (lower tube)
    2 - black zip ties
    1 - black plastic edging material

(note - in this picture it shows the optional AFE pre-filter installed on the air filter. this is an OPTION, not standard in the price)

Remove lower fascia belly pan to access fender well area.

Mark air inlet hole

Cut notch in air inlet. (This can be done in many ways. Whatever is at your disposal that will make a clean/symetrical cut)

Be sure to notch the lower plastic baffle that is attached just under the area to be notched. It is held in place with standard fenderwell push pins.

Install supplied edging material (this step will be the most frustrating step and requires a little heat to soften the material and activate the adhesive inside the material. a little patience goes a long way!)

Install filter onto lower tube and carefully install tube from underside of fenderwell. Pay close attention to locate the rubber grommet in the tube so it does not hit one of the air inlet hole edges. Also, an extra hand is useful to hold edging material in place so the tube does not pull it up when sliding through. The 8.5" height noted in the picture is a good starting point.

Install 4" worm clamp as seen in picture. This is to secure the lower tube from migrating down. This may be adjusted at the final point of install to get the intake level.

Install 3.5"-4" reducing coupler onto throttle body and assemble the upper tube to the 90* silicon elbow. (all clamps are in place loosely!!!)

Install as one piece and check alignment of tube. You want top tube to be square and parallel.

Position all clamps so bolts are to the underside of the tubes. This looks cleaner and acts a point to secure the IAT extension harness in the next steps.

Carefully install IAT sensor into grommet hole in lower tube. (the use of a little lubricant will aid in the insertion of the sensor)

Secure IAT extension harness with supplied zip ties to the clamps.

Finally, step back and make sure everything is secure and tight. Then step further back and admire your handiwork! This install is not for those that lack tools and the ability to use them. The install will take approx. 4 hours from start to finish, so make sure you have plenty of time and patience. A great weekend project!
    ‚Äčwww.legmakerintakes.com
    9.39 @ 148 mph P
    WR forged 6.1 Procharger F1A Nitrous Outlet
    AfterHours Mopar Perf. installed!!!

"This is what I love about drag racing. I feel an intense focus as everything is extremely loud and quiet around me simultaneously. Nothing else besides me and my immediate environment exists for these short moments." - Budoboy
    Likes blkmagnumr/t, 10ChallSRT8 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice and very detailed install help page. Congrats Chris on getting a new CAI to the LMI line.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks joe!

Post Thanks / Like
    Atta boy Chris. Top shelf buddy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I realize that you wrote these instruction a few months ago and I have printed a copy for the install into my 2012 Challenger SRT8 392 BUT have just a couple of problems. First for those who have never been underneath their vehicles will you explain how you do so when it is so low AND how do you recognize and remove the lower fascia belly pan? Secondly what do you do with the oil breather filter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim - The best way to access the belly pan is by jacking the car up. I figured this would be self explanatory, but obviously I was wrong. I will be sure to jack up a car to take some pics of the belly pan for future reference. I also find it helpful for the initial install to remove the drivers side tire and pull back the inner plastic fenderwell. This give very good access to the area where the filter will be installed. This step is not necessary, but can be helpful.

As for the oil breather, it best connects by trimming off about 1.5" of the OEM breather tube and installing the breather filter like the picture below..... Do it like this and the plastic valve cover will fit back over it perfectly and you will barely see the breather filter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info......I look forward to the underside pics. I just didn't think about the jacking up as I never had to do it on any other installation. Then again the others weren't like this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Installing mine tomorrow!!
    Semper Fi!

Share This Thread