Post Thanks / Like

2014 Chargers, trouble turning on ignition

So I’ve been a member to this site for years, but I seldom ever post. I mostly come in to read and learn, then apply to modern hemi swaps in classic Mopars.

This week I picked up two wrecked 2014 Pursuit Chargers with 5.7 engines. The engines and many of the features I want to use.

When I connect the battery to either car, the instrument panel lights up and shows the hold brake, push to start icon on the evic. However, when I push start, I get the key fob not detected message. One vehicle shows the same information in German...

Anyway, the key fobs work with power locks and panic button, but will not turn the car to the RUN or ACC position. Even when I press the fob to the start button, nada.

This has me a little confused. I can lock and unlock the cars with the remotes, but cannot turn the ignition to accessories position. I want to be able to confirm odometer readings and be able to start testing CAN functions using the upfitters manual.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hiredhelp; 01-12-2018 at 07:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a shot, but try this. When the battery is hooked up, get in the car and using the plastic "pointy" end (not the end where the key is stored) of the key fob, press the start button.

The battery in the fob may be strong enough to lock/unlock the doors but not strong enough to start the car. If that's the case, this will work.

Sent from my XT1650 using Scat Pack Forums mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    You should get a odometer reading without getting the cars to run, but sound like a problem with the keyless ignition node. Who knows if they robbed parts on these cars before scrapping them. Your run of the mill scan tools are not going to yield any answers here I'm afraid. You would need a factory scan tool or other high end scanner to diagnose this problem, as a side note police departments can order there cars with a option called key alike. It allows other officers with proximity keys to use the proximity unlock door system and start any other cars in the fleet , but the unlock and lock functions on the remote only work with the one vehicle they are programmed to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    Just a shot, but try this. When the battery is hooked up, get in the car and using the plastic "pointy" end (not the end where the key is stored) of the key fob, press the start button.

The battery in the fob may be strong enough to lock/unlock the doors but not strong enough to start the car. If that's the case, this will work.

I tried this, it still said fob not detected. But it did have enough battery to lock/ unlock the doors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by circ1977 View Post
    You should get a odometer reading without getting the cars to run, but sound like a problem with the keyless ignition node. Who knows if they robbed parts on these cars before scrapping them. Your run of the mill scan tools are not going to yield any answers here I'm afraid. You would need a factory scan tool or other high end scanner to diagnose this problem, as a side note police departments can order there cars with a option called key alike. It allows other officers with proximity keys to use the proximity unlock door system and start any other cars in the fleet , but the unlock and lock functions on the remote only work with the one vehicle they are programmed to.
    This is what I am wondering. I read the same thing. I can find the rke modules online (to know what they look like and part number) but am not able to find their location in the car. No pictures or diagrams online. The 2005-2009 cars had the module behind the starter button, but I’m at a loss on the 2011 and newer.

I have 3 Keys, two for one car and one for the other.

I’ll try again this weekend with a fully charged car battery and warmer weather. Thanks for chiming in, updates to follow.

Post Thanks / Like
    the radio frequency hub (which is what the key fob buttons are programmed to send their signal to for locking/unlocking) is located under the rear deck lid under rear window. The keyless ignition node (which is just a dummy switch) is the button you press to start the car. There are also antenai(which report the key fob signal to the rfh) in the rear doors,trunk,and rear fascia,and center console for the the proximity unlock feature(if it is equipped with this feature). Do these cars have passive entry (little tick tacks on the front doors and rear trunk ? Disregard the comment about a possible keyless ignition node problem, just noticed you mentioned the cluster is reporting a message of key fob not detected. Your key fob is not being recognized by the rfh hub for some reason, might be the antenea, might be the rfh , might even be the key fob's themselves. I'd take a look at the wiring under the radio for the antenae , might of unplugged it while removing there equipment.
    Last edited by circ1977; 01-17-2018 at 01:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by circ1977 View Post
    the radio frequency hub (which is what the key fob buttons are programmed to send their signal to for locking/unlocking) is located under the rear deck lid under rear window. The keyless ignition node (which is just a dummy switch) is the button you press to start the car. There are also antenai(which report the key fob signal to the rfh) in the rear doors,trunk,and rear fascia,and center console for the the proximity unlock feature(if it is equipped with this feature). Do these cars have passive entry (little tick tacks on the front doors and rear trunk ? Disregard the comment about a possible keyless ignition node problem, just noticed you mentioned the cluster is reporting a message of key fob not detected. Your key fob is not being recognized by the rfh hub for some reason, might be the antenea, might be the rfh , might even be the key fob's themselves. I'd take a look at the wiring under the radio for the antenae , might of unplugged it while removing there equipment.
    Ok, so there are separate modules for the keyless entry (buttons on the fob) and passive entry/ignition?

The door handles do have the tic tacs on the doors and I checked three antennae that I knew of (console, trunk, rear fascia) all seem intact and in good shape.

Is there another antenna that I need to check for under the radio? I know the radio has been unplugged and is sitting in the passenger seat in both cars. I assume you are right about something being unplugged when the cars were decommissioned a few weeks ago before auction. The sheriffs shop manager told me the cars were running and driving before they decommissioned them. Front bumpers and police equipment was removed/robbed as needed for other units still in service.

Post Thanks / Like
    No the one in the console was the one under the radio area I was talking about, there are also 2 more , one in each rear door. Those are the antennas , they connect to the rfh module on the rear shelf under the panel (where the old 6x9 speakers would go on a older car).The antennas are looking for a key fob in proximity of the vehicle (usually about a 7 foot radius) if they detect a fob they send a waken up signal to the fob to start communicating and see if it is a valid programmed fob . If it is a valid fob it will allow the proximity/passive unlock feature to work. Does the fobs have a remote start button on them, does that work ? (don't know if they ordered them with it) , also does the passive entry work? Might clue into what might be going on. Best bet is to just track down all the antennas and rfh and make sure they are plugged in ,look around the wiring harness and see if you can spot anything they may have removed before they sold it, aside from that your gonna need some higher level diagnostics. Good luck.
    Last edited by circ1977; 01-17-2018 at 11:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Success!

Thank you circ1977!

I found an unplugged antenna in the LH rear door. I plugged it in and the fob worked by pressing on the start button. The vic was still reading in German, but I could see the odometer reading 9357 miles. I’m assuming that is a trip mileage and not actual mileage. The steering wheel is disconnected so I couldn’t scroll through the menu.

I do believe the cars are fleet keyed alike. All three keys I have worked on car A to cycle the ignition.

Car B, the more complete car, would not cycle to acc, however. I noticed the wires at the rear sensor were damaged by the rear end impact it went through, so was the sensor.

I swapped sensors with car A but still no dice. The wiring will need to be repaired and I shall try again.

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a digital dash right? You mean that thing has over 1 million miles?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hiredhelp View Post
    Success!

Thank you circ1977!

I found an unplugged antenna in the LH rear door. I plugged it in and the fob worked by pressing on the start button. The vic was still reading in German, but I could see the odometer reading 9357 miles. I’m assuming that is a trip mileage and not actual mileage. The steering wheel is disconnected so I couldn’t scroll through the menu.

I do believe the cars are fleet keyed alike. All three keys I have worked on car A to cycle the ignition.

Car B, the more complete car, would not cycle to acc, however. I noticed the wires at the rear sensor were damaged by the rear end impact it went through, so was the sensor.

I swapped sensors with car A but still no dice. The wiring will need to be repaired and I shall try again.

Thanks guys!

Your Welcome !Glad to hear you solved your problem at least on one car, I "think" if even one antenna is malfunctioning it will not work correctly. Don't quote me on that though. Don't recall if you can change languages in the radio or not, if that even functions. The police package can have the 12 inch display and I believe has a special plug in the back that can interface with there equipment i.e. laptop. They also use to have what is called a ptim (police and taxi interface module) not sure if they are still using them, those are basically to interface with radios,lights,sirens, that kind of stuff. Anyway good luck on car b.