Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man, I would check all drive line fluids. Transmission & rear gear oil etc. Swap everything out with mopar fluids and filters.

I had just bought an FJ a few months back with 90k miles on it.. Previous owner took it to toyota all its life, however somehow no one ever changed fluids except the Damn oil!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stoviAZ View Post
    Man, I would check all drive line fluids. Transmission & rear gear oil etc. Swap everything out with mopar fluids and filters.

I had just bought an FJ a few months back with 90k miles on it.. Previous owner took it to toyota all its life, however somehow no one ever changed fluids except the Damn oil!

All of the fliuds have been changed. After reading an article a few minutes ago, i think i have a failing torque converter. Rpm surges at idle, the past couple days i have been feeling heat like something is overheating (but the temp guage in the cluster is at normal temp...right under halfway...also a strange noise hear and there, a shudder around 20 mph, there is a whine that has developed, and just today im geeling a slight loss of power......

Damn near everything i just mentioned are in the 3 articles Ive read about failing Torque Converters. So that is the direction I will go in.

Think Im on the right path?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RollTideCowboy View Post
    All of the fliuds have been changed. After reading an article a few minutes ago, i think i have a failing torque converter. Rpm surges at idle, the past couple days i have been feeling heat like something is overheating (but the temp guage in the cluster is at normal temp...right under halfway...also a strange noise hear and there, a shudder around 20 mph, there is a whine that has developed, and just today im geeling a slight loss of power......

Damn near everything i just mentioned are in the 3 articles Ive read about failing Torque Converters. So that is the direction I will go in.

Think Im on the right path?
    Forgot to mention... That FJ just got back from the shop getting the TC replaced.

I was experiencing shudder as well, surging at idle etc. It is very possible with the milage you have.

if your certain the fluid has been changed and can verify the health of it, I would say it is a possibility the TC is going out. Unfortunetly I'm not too versed on drive lines at all.. Only real exp. Is stuff thats been broken on my cars..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stoviAZ View Post
    Forgot to mention... That FJ just got back from the shop getting the TC replaced.

I was experiencing shudder as well, surging at idle etc. It is very possible with the milage you have.

if your certain the fluid has been changed and can verify the health of it, I would say it is a possibility the TC is going out. Unfortunetly I'm not too versed on drive lines at all.. Only real exp. Is stuff thats been broken on my cars..

What is this FJ tou speak of? Ive never seen that abbreviation before. Also...drive lines? And how much did it cost when it was all said and done to have the TC replaced?

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess that the converter could be going...you'd be looking at about 4 hours at a dealership for the swap.

Can't believe there's no one on here that's local to you to lend a hand. If you were anywhere near NH I'd be in your driveway working for food

Do you hear any whining or high pitched noises that change with engine rpm?
    2006 Charger Brilliant Black R/T w/R&T Package
    6.1 Arrington based 426 Hemi @ 13:1 compression

Post Thanks / Like
    You really need to take it to a dealership to have it properly diagnosed.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    You really need to take it to a dealership to have it properly diagnosed.
    When you told me about the nag1 problem with water getting in it, I brought it up with them and they said if that is the case the transmission would need to be rebuilt. Also when I called to see if my car had LSD they told me they had no way to find out...even with the VIN # lol. They seem to know just as much or as little as independent shops.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you told me about the nag1 problem with water getting in it, I brought it up with them and they said if that is the case the transmission would need to be rebuilt. Also when I called to see if my car had LSD they told me they had no way to find out...even with the VIN # lol. They seem to know just as much or as little as independent shops.
    Agreed; find another dealership...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWagon View Post
    I guess that the converter could be going...you'd be looking at about 4 hours at a dealership for the swap.

Can't believe there's no one on here that's local to you to lend a hand. If you were anywhere near NH I'd be in your driveway working for food

Do you hear any whining or high pitched noises that change with engine rpm?
    It does have a whine.

and I havent met the right people yet i guess. I have what I feel may be a good deal on a transmission with 40k fewer miles. It will come with a warranty as well.

Should I do the torque verter itself, or the whole transmission?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't intent this to be rude, just curious but what's with all the tranny failures I'm reading on this website? I've got 125k on my 2008 C and the gearbox is as tight as a drum. Had it services every couple of years and never found a problem. My `70 Charger R/T got 220,000 on the clock before the tranny started slipping and leaking and I wasn't exactly easy on the car. Of course, that tranny was a real, honest-to-goodness TorqueFlite But new gearboxes at 80k-100k? You guys must really beat the stuffings out of your cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    It does have a whine.

and I havent met the right people yet i guess. I have what I feel may be a good deal on a transmission with 40k fewer miles. It will come with a warranty as well.

Should I do the torque verter itself, or the whole transmission?
    Well...if there is a whine, and speaking from personal experience, there could be an issue with the pump in the transmission. IF that is the case, and depending on how loud the whine is, it's probably better to replace the transmission. My tranny was making a loud whine, and I mean audible over my exhaust, and it left me stranded the next day after I heard it.

I'm not trying to scare you as my car and your are very different, and I doubt your car has been flogged as hard as mine has, but once the pump in the trans starts making noise, it's cheaper to put another trans in than to rebuild it.

That being said, it's probably unlikely that the torque converter is bad....BUT...why pull the trans and replace the converter and have it be the trans that's pooched. Likewise, why pull the converter and replace only to find out it wasn't the converter, but the trans.

To me, I would replace both but only once I knew one or the other was bad.

(my personal way of approaching my transmission problem was to first do a fluid and filter swap...cause I know the previous owner beat the ever-loving crap out of the car. That was the least expensive way to go. When that failed to rectify my problem, I bought a new transmission from Ben at Enhanced and also purchased a new converter as well...because my luck, if I wanted to save $600 on a converter, that would've been the culprit)

Hope this helps some.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123