Hey guys. Question for you all regarding the PP Chargers. My father is picking up a 08 Charger RT and saw on the window sticker saying performance exhaust. Was the exhaust on the PP chargers the same you would find on a normal RT? Or was it a little different than stock? Thanks for any info you can lend.
2010 Challenger R/T Classic:
- Mopar CAI
- Mopar Cat-back Exhaust
- Other misc mods to make her look pretty
The exhaust on a Police Charger is from the Daytona's. It's a tiny bit freer flowing and has a slightly different note.
2006 Charger Brilliant Black R/T w/R&T Package
6.1 Arrington based 426 Hemi @ 13:1 compression
408rwhp/425rwtq on MustangDyno @ TDP Automotive
on very conservative (safe) tune
Awesome. Ty for the quick reply good sir.
1. Police- No polished tips, has most chambering in the suitcase of all systems. The resonators are uniquely tuned, resulting in no drone in MDS mode.
2. R/T or 300C- Polished tips, suitcase has revised chambering, and resonators are retuned. Mello but refined tone, very miniscule sound when in MDS mode.
3. 2007 to 2010 R/T R&T or 300C SRT Design- Suitcase revised with less chambering, resonators retuned further. Has similar tone to stock SRT8 system.
4. 2006 to 2009 Daytona R/T- Chambering further decreased in suitcase, almost completely straight through, but little chambering allows quiet operation from idle up to 1,000 rpm, cold idle around 900-1,100 rpm is a throaty growl. Powerful tone up to 2,000 rpm, Over 2000 rpm to redline muscular roar. Note: resonator tuning is exactly the same as R/T R&T system.
I have a 06 hemi police package and had a 06 R/T with about same miles on them, sitting side by side at idle, there was an audible difference between them. The cop car is lower and louder , don't know how or why,(Tbird100636 sounds like he's got it right) just know they were not the same sound.
2009 SRT8 GrandCherokee
2010 VW GTI
2006 Charger Hemi Police Package
2008 3500 Ram Mega Dually Cummins 6.7
1999 Jeep TJ
1973 Charger 400/727
1987 Buick Grand National
I stand corrected then. My wifes Police Charger had quite the bark to the exhaust. Corsa on it now....much better sound.
Sorry for the misinformation.
Ill have to wait and see when the charger arrives to hear it and compare it to other RT's ive heard. To me its crazy for Dodge to put out 4 different types of combinations on a exhaust for ideally the same car and engine. To me its not cost effective. I could see it for lets say a Daytona and a stock RT. Two types but four? Either way, the system will prolly get ripped off come spring for a more improved setup. Thanks for the help guys. Greatly appreciated
Hi Tbird100636. Nice write up. Do you know the difference in the stock SRT's ?
2005-2010 SRT8 Systems
Like it's 5.7L brethren, 6.1L's have dimensionally similar systems. no matter what 6.1L system you have, the casings, hangers, pipe sizes and bends, tips, everything is the same. There are 2 different systems. A Dodge system, and a Chrysler system. Based on the left resonator part number, both systems have the same resonator tuning. The difference apparently lies in the suitcase (muffler) chambering. I have driven stock SRT's in the past, Chrysler and Dodge alike, but never noticed any big difference in tone.
The resonators internally in 6.1L applications differ than 5.7L versions. The 5.7L version use uniquely placed baffles to quell noise, most specifically when the engine drops into MDS mode. 6.1L resonators do not have any baffling. Just an empty shell with a perforated running through them from the inlet to the tailpipe.