Final testing on the prototype API 1500 Competition Fuel Systems is being conducted now, so we felt it was time to officially release the details of what makes this system, in our humble opinion, the best high-output fuel system on the market.
Like the Air-Oil Separator we recently introduced, we spent a lot of time analyzing, developing, and engineering a system that addresses a number of things that other systems on the market do not. So, here are some of the features of the new API 1500 Fuel System that we feel set it several steps ahead:
· FLOW CAPACITY: Every part of the API 1500 Fuel System where fuel flows is sized to allow maximum volume so that we can provide enough fuel to fully supply a -10 fill line (with 3 pumps) or a-8 line (with 2 pumps). No restrictive stock lines, no complex flow paths, just wide open space to flow maximum fuel.
· SCAVENGE CAPACITY: In order to be sure that the driver's side of the fuel tank remains full at all times, you need to be sure that you are scavenging fuel proportionately to the fuel you are pumping. We quickly realized that the factory siphon pump/scavengingsystem was not going to be up to this task since our system can move 4 or 5 times the fuel volume that the OEM system was designed to move. So, we designed our own jet pump and siphon system and integrated it within the internals of the fuel hat. We re-purposed the OEM fuel feed line (that runs from the pumps on the driver's side to the passenger's side) to become a scavengeline, while still retaining the OEM scavenge line - that's a lot of fuel moving where you need it: to the base of the pumps.
· PRESSURE MAINTAINENCE: Though the high-output turbine pumps we use have their own check valves, we integrated another check valve into our pump to ensure that the fuel system maintains pressure after shut off. When you go to start the car again, you can count on the fact that it will be ready to go, just like OEM.
· SEALED UP TIGHT: We use wire pass-through's that are individually leak tested to +/- 80psi. That means no fuel smell ever. In addition, we use Weather-Pack connectors for easy installation and maintenance, and the highest quality electrical hardware toensure that the wiring harness installs easily, works flawlessly, and makes it easy to forget that you have so much power on tap.
· THERMAL MANAGEMENT: When you are moving the volume of fuel these pumps are capable of moving, the heat that the pumps put into the fuel and the gas tank becomes a very real concern. Working directly with the engineers who designed these pumps, we determined that running more than one pump for an extended period within the fuel tank would put more heat than we wanted into the fuel in the tank. Overheated fuel is undesirable for a number of reasons, including (but not limited to) vapor lock issues, ineffective pump cooling, and increased stress on fuel system components (pumps, regulators, etc.). So, we designed our system to run one pump all the time and only bring the second (and third, if installed) pumps online when there is demand. Our system also includes an LED for each secondary pump that lights when the pump comes on (if desired) so that you know the pump is on when you expect it to be, and off when you don't need it.
· OEM FUNCTIONALITY: As with all of our parts, we strive to maintain all related OEM functionality. In this case, we reuse the OEM fuel pump "on" signal to drive the primary pump and also maintain the OEM level senders in their proper location and orientation, so most OEM fuel level accuracy is maintained. Because we move so much more fuel from the passenger side to the driver's side, you may find that the level behavior is different from stock, but it will be consistent.
We are actively testing these systems on the dyno now and will be releasing them to customers in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Available in natural finish as well as anodized for E85 users, and in 2- or 3-pump versions, call the SHOPHEMI sales guys today to get details and put your name on one.
Great write up Mikah, if any one has any additional question feel free to contact us directly at ShopHemi.com (1-866-844-1245) if you would like to talk with our trained staff personally.
Can one of these high capacity pumps be used in a stock fuel system?
2006 Charger SRT8
Mods: Magnacharger w/Toona Tune
Forged 20" BC Racing wheels, Hotchkis sways
Michelin Pilot SuperSports 295/35 rear, 255/40 front
Pedders Street II suspension, Roto-Fab CAI
Razors Edge front and rear strut tower braces
Diablo Trinity, TranZformer
Arrington air/oil separator / Billet Tech catch can
Complete BT under hood bits w/BT valve covers
No, these are designed as a full return system with an external regulator. If you need a “plug-n-play” pump for a stock fuel system, this is the answer: http://www.shophemi.com/p-2176-lxlc-hemi-dual-pump-fuel-hat-by-arrington-performance.aspx
Good for 650 to 700 RWHP; and comes with everything you need…
Last edited by V3rbal; 04-06-2012 at 09:45 PM.
NASCAR Proven POWER for the STREET
So these will be a full return style system with the reg mounted after the rails? Ate you using a pump controller or just able to adjust pump outage before instal? Where ate u mounting the regulator?
Yes, this is designed to be a full return-style system. Regulator position will be up to the customer, but our recommendation is to have the regulator at the outlet of the fuel rails. 2nd pump is activated by manifold pressure, we are working on some other options as well but that should cover the majority of users at this point.
Very tasty! Looking forward to some pics.
"A stick car is like a red head. A bit more work, but it's a happy ending..." ;-)
Arrington 392 with the twins tuned by A.J. "hemituner". World record modern MOPAR 205.7mph at the Texas Mile...