Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh and the 3-hr install estimate is out the window. 6 hrs.

spank.
    "LxF welcomes with open arms all members, regardless of social status, creed, color, sexual preference, or anything else. The only thing we discriminate against is douchebags."

Check out Darth Hemi in the LxForums Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MattRobertson View Post
    oh and the 3-hr install estimate is out the window. 6 hrs.

spank.
    Was very afraid to ask...

I'm pretty sure there's an invoice laying around here that needs be paid... maybe I ought to get on that...
    On to... ...the next

Post Thanks / Like
    its really late and I'm really tired. Just a couple more pics and I'll do the writeup tomorrow.

the finished product, just before the fascia gets put back on. oil and tranny coolers are mounted in midair on a bracket with air space between the condenser (which covers the radiator if you didn't know) and the bumper.

And no I did not paint them. I like this look. The pic just doesn't do justice to what it looks like from the front. Subtly visible. Not overly obvious. The average person isn't going to notice but a gearhead passing by will know enough to stop and peer inside. You can't see the p/s cooler at all unless you are a distance away or down near the ground (or maybe looking at it in your rear view mirror).

The p/s cooler took a full quart of extra fluid. I think that problem can be considered solved :D. Oil and tranny took about 1/2 qt each.

I'm very happy with the result but not the cost. The labor on this job makes it all that much more important for you to be sure you really need it. Install was 7 hrs but absolutely some of that could be shaved off since some of this was a learning experience associated with parts mishaps, and the fact it was only the second one accomplished (Meister was first earlier this week).

EDIT: Plus as you can see I had hard stainless lines done on top and that wasn't any kind of 10-minute job.
    Last edited by MattRobertson; 03-03-2007 at 02:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I to am concerned about how COOL the oil will run in the winter. Matt, when I am crusing on the highway for example my engine runs at 180-15 and oil is about 195 or so, when the weather is in the single digits and wind chills of -40, I wonder if the oil will get too cold for the engine???

Thoughts?? Rememeber you get to live where is stays about freezing normally
    05 Red Inferno Magnum SXT-Traded
    05 Red Inferno Magnum R/T- Traded
    06 Silver 300C SRT8 RWHP 371 RWTQ 374
    Options I,II Sunroof,Side Curtain AirBags BIG HEMI

Post Thanks / Like
    Matt looks awsome man, I was wondering if you had seen the AN stealth fitting ? The black one I think I will be in for an oil and trans coolers down the road, not real sure on the PS cooler.

Nice thing is this something I will get free labor on when it comes time. I just need to get my dad to brush up on his alumium wielding Buhahah

I am thinking hard on SS lines for the brakes, now. I need to find a buyer for the kidney for my next round of mods

-Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker View Post
    I to am concerned about how COOL the oil will run in the winter.
    Thats why we used an oil sandwich adapter with a thermostat inside it. You can get them without and then for sure you would get exactly the problem you are describing. Even here in Cali.

BUT... if you know your oil temps and they don't climb up into the stratosphere ever, you don't have a problem and don't need this mod. I think the oil cooler for sure is only for folks who track the car. Probably the same for the P/S cooler although that is actually a pretty cheap one. The tranny cooler is another story imho. Anyone with a 'verter ought to do that I think, no matter where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by RobAGD View Post
    Matt looks awsome man, I was wondering if you had seen the AN stealth fitting ? The black one
    OK you got me. I have no freaking idea what you are talking about :-)

Quote Originally Posted by RobAGD View Post
    I am thinking hard on SS lines for the brakes, now. I need to find a buyer for the kidney for my next round of mods
    Hey no worries. SS brake lines are cheap. Its the calipers and rotors that cost body parts. And don't forget... not only do you have two kidneys... You also have two lungs (there's the money for your stroker motor right there).

Post Thanks / Like

nice write up

and I thought I was done with mods for awhile. But since I am not tracking the car, I will probably stay stock cooled....until I get bored. Great ideas, but is that a webcam I see at the bottom of all the mounts?
    Magnum PI - Hilo, Hawaii
    05 Black Magic Magnum RT, Zoomers, Eibach pro-kit springs, Bilsteins, Chrome ASA GT5s w/ Toyo Proxes4 255/45 x 20, Frankentake III, Yakima racks for paddle boards; 2009 Pearl 370Z sport, Swift springs, oil cooler, Stillen Gen-3 intake, H&R Spacers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats why we used an oil sandwich adapter with a thermostat inside it. You can get them without and then for sure you would get exactly the problem you are describing. Even here in Cali.

BUT... if you know your oil temps and they don't climb up into the stratosphere ever, you don't have a problem and don't need this mod. I think the oil cooler for sure is only for folks who track the car. Probably the same for the P/S cooler although that is actually a pretty cheap one. The tranny cooler is another story imho. Anyone with a 'verter ought to do that I think, no matter where you are.
    Yea, even in the summer I stay around 200 or less, so I am ok for now. Plus with the very short drain interval of the Mobil1 ( 3k miles) I don't think I will have to worry..but I will keep and eye on it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum PI View Post
    ... is that a webcam I see at the bottom of all the mounts?
    No its ...SpoilerCam!

http://foohbar.com/spoilercam.cfm

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought yopu were going to run the Tranny cooler in series with the stock one?I am pretty sure running with just the Derale cooler you wound up with less cooling surface than you started with.
    BFNY Performance
    9515 Detroit Rd,Cleveland Ohio 44102
    440-787-7235 8am- 5pm

BFNYPERFORMANCE@YAHOO.COM
    RIP NHDave
    RIP LOU1355

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi31 View Post
    I thought yopu were going to run the Tranny cooler in series with the stock one?I am pretty sure running with just the Derale cooler you wound up with less cooling surface than you started with.
    Ah so you noticed that? :D

Nope. 43000 btu/hr in a 19-row stacked plate cooler trumps anything you can put up in a tube-and-fin cooler which the stocker is. By a fair margin too. Meister's reported tranny temps are way down (he's got the spiffy A-pillar gauges) and he's done a... well a Meister-grade test. From what he's told me so far he's positively redefined what long distance, high speed endurance is with an LX automobile.

To directly answer the question, not mounting the cooler in series was an expedient. We had so much capacity already that to get more with the perfect series-mount would take enough extra labor and yield so little that it wasn't worth the effort (and if we ever decide it is, the stock cooler is still there).

I know I promised a writeup today, but instead I went for a drive on the Loop of Doom. 122 miles put on in the lower Sierras. Many pissed off folk taking turnouts today. I may do it again tomorrow. My new sig comes from one stopping-off point.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know I promised a writeup today, but instead I went for a drive on the Loop of Doom. 122 miles put on in the lower Sierras. Many pissed off folk taking turnouts today. I may do it again tomorrow. My new sig comes from one stopping-off point.
    Well, you better back off my rear should you come upon my C on the road to Shaver Lake tomorrow! You had to be pleased with your temp. results not to mention the fabulous weather today. Your new sig. looks awesome! Try not to harass too many Sunday drivers.
    bruno

Post Thanks / Like
    The installation thread is up, and thats the one I will be maintaining. I have removed the parts lists that were in Post #1 and moved them to the new thread. If y'all would comment there on this project rather than here I would appreciate the consolidation.

Moderators, can we close this thread please?

Post Thanks / Like
    Closing as per Matt's request.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Share This Thread