Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    With my car running a 160* Tsat will that adversly effect the oil reaching 180*?

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to your install pictures and performance write-up. Are you looking to sell this yourself(the middleman)?
    GoManGo Daytona
    Frank's HellFire Cam
    Power Ported Performance CNC Heads
    Diablo Tune/B&G PCM Flash
    Mopar Long Tube Headers
    Borla 112 Cat-Back
    Air-Hammer CAI
    Mopar Performance TCM
    Mopar Performance Torque Convertor

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobAGD View Post
    Matt are there any fins in the inside of the PS cooler ?
    Yes indeed there are. I tried (not very hard) to get a shot of them. There are pics on the Derale web site IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Are you so fricking annal that you really tie your shoes that way............OH, I noticed, left shoe outside lace over the top and visa versa.........................you funny.
    No you mowron! I don't have to tie them.

"LxF welcomes with open arms all members, regardless of social status, creed, color, sexual preference, or anything else. The only thing we discriminate against is douchebags."

Check out Darth Hemi in the LxForums Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, wrong verbiage...............LACE THEM............now do you want to get me started about "slip-on" shoes and a quick tie........................I didn't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRobertson View Post
    Yes indeed there are. I tried (not very hard) to get a shot of them. There are pics on the Derale web site IIRC.

No you mowron! I don't have to tie them.

From wild to extra wild we got you covered with crap ya never knew you needed.

The first 6.1 transformation and it all went down hill from there.

08 route 66 burnout champion 07 Shindig 6.1NA winner. Willow Springs 1:42!!. 11.796 @ 117mph

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfox0099 View Post
    With my car running a 160* Tsat will that adversly effect the oil reaching 180*?
    I'm not sure. How much cooler does your car run? I mean, its set to open up at 160 but where does it settle after it does? Does it really run that cool?

I think the tstat we have in the oil system will keep the thing closed maybe a little longer than for me, where mine is a 180-degree tstat, but I really am just making a WAG.

I'm really curious to see what happens to my everyday engine temps when I put this in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Sorry, wrong verbiage...............LACE THEM............now do you want to get me started about "slip-on" shoes and a quick tie........................I didn't think so.
    I absolutely do not want to get you started. no way. No how. nuh uh.

HOWEVER...

... if you examine the image (i.e. open your freaking eyes) you will see they are a closed loop and pre-laced.

jeeeee-zus!

Post Thanks / Like
    ... if you examine the image (i.e. open your freaking eyes) you will see they are a closed loop and pre-laced.

jeeeee-zus!

OMG, I got it now ................................Ok, I'll accept the dumbmutherfucheroftheyear award here.............my bad.

And I would like to thank you for pointing that out too BTW.

So next time I go shopping at the blue hair shoe store, I'll know what to look for.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure. How much cooler does your car run? I mean, its set to open up at 160 but where does it settle after it does? Does it really run that cool?

I think the tstat we have in the oil system will keep the thing closed maybe a little longer than for me, where mine is a 180-degree tstat, but I really am just making a WAG.

I'm really curious to see what happens to my everyday engine temps when I put this in.
    It usually runs about 157* with the air intake temp 154*

When I stop it heats up quickly....part of the reason I use a low Tstat....but I don't get any CEL...strange huh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, at least with the size of the PS cooler, Frankencooler is an appropriate name! Looking forward to seeing your results...
    2006 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T - TorRed #1179 - Fully Loaded
    HHP Stage 3 Heads & Cam, CMR Tuned by HHP, Mopar TCM, PI 2800 Converter, SRT8 Quaiffe Rearend w/ 3.23 gears, 09 Hubs & Axles, Dynatech Longtubes, SLP LM2 Catback, Arrington CAI, SLP Underdrive Pulley, & much more...
    Powered & Sponsored by HHP Racing - Your #1 Source for LX Parts & Service
    11.843 @ 115.82 MPH - 12/12/09 Cecil County - 4378 lbs - 435 HP & 432 FT LBS TQ STD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfox0099 View Post
    It usually runs about 157* with the air intake temp 154*

When I stop it heats up quickly....part of the reason I use a low Tstat....but I don't get any CEL...strange huh?
    Well you got that bigass engine and I'm sure it needs all the cooling it can get, both air and water.

I guess for you an oil cooler would only affect you when at idle. May not be such a bad idea for that. But its the opposite of what I need, which is cooling under load. Hell... your engine never even breaks a sweat even on the track I bet

I just had a fairly long and very interesting phone conversation with an engineer at Earls Plumbing about their coolers. The Derale may be going back in place of an Earls unit. Looks like maybe their smaller units have greater capacity than a comparable Derale, which is no longer made by Setrab. The Earls units are directly comparable to Setrabs in terms of capacity. So it appears as if we can get a smaller unit to do a better job. I'm all for that. And since its smaller, its cheaper. A 19-row Earls unit is $3 more than the 25-row Derale and may outperform it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bearmandog View Post
    Looking forward to your install pictures and performance write-up. Are you looking to sell this yourself(the middleman)?
    No I am just trying to solve the mystery of what to do about auxiliary coolers if you want a kickass unit with a decent but not insane budget.

Post Thanks / Like
    Parts lists updated. Meister and I both chucked our Derale coolers in favor of 25-row Earls coolers. The 25-row Earls unit has a capacity of 57,000 btu/hr, which is insane... unless you remember Meister pegged his oil temp gauge at 285 degrees after only three laps at Willow Springs.

After our installs next week I'll start a new thread with dedicated pages on each cooler type at the start of the thread. We learned a lot about cooler capacities and construction and it'll take a while to lay it all out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Setrab States That The 6.1 Srt8 Needs A 19r0w Cooler For Street Use, And A 25 Row Cooler For Racing, This Is What Marv Beal Head Of Setrab In The North East Says. He Fits All Of Nascar For The Right Size Coolers For Each Race. Call Him At 1-740-965-8837, Nice Guy

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats good to know! Thanks for the legwork. Its a nice affirmation of what we're doing here. Setrab used to be the oem for Derale and are no longer because of the cost of their units, which is quite a bit more than even a comparable Earls unit. Still, when originally thinking we'd thus be using Setrabs I found performance specs on their coolers and the 25-row Setrab is rated for 46000 btu/hr max whereas the Earls is rated at 57000.

Without question if you use a Setrab unit you won't be sorry but they are priced even higher than the Earls units. Like $225 plus shipping for the 25-row unit was the best I could find. Got those prices here. Traced them thru a group buy on a Mitsu Evo forum where the GB price was $205. The Earls unit at qty1 was $169.

For that matter the Derale units aren't crap either. Just not as good and I'm in this to do it right... one time only. 33000 GVW rated isn't anything to sneeze at. Mine will be going on sale right after my install on Friday. If someone here buys it it'll save them the month-long-plus wait that we had to go thru.

Post Thanks / Like
    Install is in progress here at SVS in Sacramento. This pic was taken earlier today. Install configuration has changed. A lot :D. No battle plan survives contact with the enemy. The original plan of puting oil and tranny coolers side by side on top of the bumper would have restricted airflow to the radiator too much.

Coolers are stacked behind the bumper now. The tranny cooler gets full airflow. The oil cooler is restricted some but not much. We over spec'd the oil cooler something fierce so we're still way good. The p/s cooler system is going up top as you can see, to keep the airflow onto the oil cooler... which there will be a lot of, coming up from the Magnum's lower grille.

We had some parts emergencies. Different oil elbows needed and none to be had here in Sacramento. We've figured out that straight ends will work... just barely.

More details and pics tonight. I'll start a new thread with all the background info I've gathered up over the last few weeks, and some new stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    On to... ...the next

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Share This Thread