Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolVanilla View Post
    Excellent writeup Matt. It really encapsulates our combined conversations and your intense research. As always, top notch stuff buddy!

PS: Git up here already; the dyno is in a good mood. Nillabean turned in a 360hp run this morning!

Not to mention a top speed of....what was it.....175 or so? That was wicked sweet.

Post Thanks / Like
    What an excellent writeup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi31 View Post
    Matt,I would run the stock cooler in series for the trans.....it won't hurt anything and will help a great deal with a new converter.
    My bad... while getting the car dyno'd I asked Bob about this and he was always planning to run them in series.

Also he brought up another reason why we are using a heat sink for the power steering cooler that I forgot about: there is zero restriction with this type of unit. So based on that I would say stick to the 2-foot monstrosity that is Plan A and don't anyone think of using a small stacked plate.
    "LxF welcomes with open arms all members, regardless of social status, creed, color, sexual preference, or anything else. The only thing we discriminate against is douchebags."

Check out Darth Hemi in the LxForums Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking of adding additional trans cooler thanks for the info
    2014 Chrysler 300

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the tranny fluid circulate through these pipes? If so, wouldn't we need to top off the fluid in the tranny and have to have a Starscan handy?
    '13 Challenger R/T Classic

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes you would need a startscan to check fluid level, but if your carefull you can get it close and hit the dealer for a quick reading.

-R

Post Thanks / Like
    Great Info, just when I was considering a trans cooler. I have the Mopar Performance TC and wondered if there needed to be more cooling for the trans.
    GoManGo Daytona
    Frank's HellFire Cam
    Power Ported Performance CNC Heads
    Diablo Tune/B&G PCM Flash
    Mopar Long Tube Headers
    Borla 112 Cat-Back
    Air-Hammer CAI
    Mopar Performance TCM
    Mopar Performance Torque Convertor

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobAGD View Post
    Yes you would need a startscan to check fluid level, but if your carefull you can get it close and hit the dealer for a quick reading.

-R
    Yeah I have free dealer oil changes (well, they pay for dino oil and I pay the upcharge for Mobil1) and I plan on doing an oil change right after the install and have them check the fluid level at that time. Check the KB. Joseph has a method -- requires a tranny dipstick -- to do it without a Starscan IIRC. Mebbe CV and Meister and me will split the cost of the dipstick.

Post Thanks / Like
    So...

I have been patiently waiting, with a pile o' parts in my office in a box, waiting for Derale to get off its duff and ship the one thing missing from my Frankencooler system... the actual cooler cores.

On Tuesday, I received a package. After I pile it all into one box here's what it looks like

Sure doesn't look like about 500 bucks worth of stuff. Hell, the little blue bag inside the box holds about $250 in AN fittings and barbs and such.

So what did I get? Well, for starters here is the 25-row, stacked-plate oil cooler. I couldn't help myself and had to put on the AN-10 elbows for the picture. Dam thats a big cooler and dam those are big fittings. sure hope I have enough capacity here.

Take a peek at it up close. It looks to be a fairly straightforward and sturdy design. Air is going to blow right thru it just fine, too.

Now lets show off the power steering cooler. I'll just stretch my arm out and snap a picture...

Dang that thing is big. Didn't fit. What if I hold it diagonally, then stretch my arm way the hell out, then bend my head waaaay back and hold the camera right next to my face. Enough room to get it all then?

Geez what a pain that was. But it still doesn't give you an idea of how big the thing is. How about this:

Thats right. From the floor its taller than my knee by a fair bit. Good thing its going into a place with plenty of room.

Whats missing?

Why the tranny cooler of course. Supposed to be a 19-row Derale stacked plate cooler with AN-6 fittings. And since I ordered in mid-January why isn't it here in late February? Well I called the nice folks at Summit who told me it is now expected in mid-March.

I don't think so.

I get on the phone with Hector at Derale, who seems to be The Man over there... or at least he's the guy who I have always spoken to who always tells me they don't have any parts in stock. Didn't like what he told me but he did promise to call me back shortly after he checked on some stuff ...

OK so he never called back. To hell with Derale, then. Stacked plate coolers are available from Earl's Performance Plumbing and they are in stock. They cost an extra forty bucks, but at this point forty bucks is the difference between making my install appointment and having coolers in place for the LX Festival track day... or not.

So I ordered yesterday, it ships today and I should have it tomorrow. If nothing else this is a chance to see if the Earl's coolers are worth the extra money in materials or fit/finish or something.

Install day is March 2nd. Stay tuned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good lookin' stuff there Matt...I'm sure I will need some of this after the heads and cam swap I'm about to do!!
    silver steel metallic charger r/t...gone but not forgotten!
    2012 Charger SRT8...B&B exhaust...CAI

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the first I've really heard mention of a power steering cooler... looks pretty simple, virtually no losses... I don't need the kit, but I'm stoked to see it come together!

I DRINK ROYAL PURPLE! WHAT NOW?!

> 2006 Silver SRT-8 magnum, adopted 9/9/06 with 36 miles, groups I, II, &III.
    * tinted LED Tails * Mopar Remote Start * Stainless Airhammer * Coated Kooks Longtubes * PPP Heads, Cam, and Converter * Alpine R10 Subs/AoN Enclosures * 20" Black AR 311's w/ Nitto 420's * Corsa cat-back * Front Window Tint * Ratman Hatch Button Mod * Hotchkis Sways * BT Underhood Bling * Polished Intake Manifold * Autodim Drivers Mirror *

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Super T View Post
    looks pretty simple, virtually no losses...
    Yeah thats a real neat thing about the p/s system. Essentially zero flow restriction. Just an enormous amount of surface area exposed to cold air blowing in from the lower grille. It'll be mounted under the bumper behind the front fascia. Current plan is to paint it black.

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn Matt, that PS heat sink is huge . I bet you didn't plan on $50.00 worth of oil to fill it, did ya.

Looking good buddy, that's a nice set-up for sure. But something crossed my mind while ing over your parts.

Are you so fricking annal that you really tie your shoes that way............OH, I noticed, left shoe outside lace over the top and visa versa.........................you funny.

From wild to extra wild we got you covered with crap ya never knew you needed.

The first 6.1 transformation and it all went down hill from there.

08 route 66 burnout champion 07 Shindig 6.1NA winner. Willow Springs 1:42!!. 11.796 @ 117mph

Post Thanks / Like
    Friggen Big 'Ol Power Steering Cooler! Looks nice.
    Robert and Alice - Engaged 12/13/2008, NYC Central Park on "Gothic" footbridge, Married 5/19/2012

R.I.P. Dad aka DynoBob

Post Thanks / Like

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Share This Thread