Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robstorredr/t View Post
    I hope I'm not over thinking this but it just seems like the side should be closed off due to heat rushing in the box. Why didn't mopar sell 2 different intakes..... One that doesn't have the cutout and one they sell now (with cut out) for the inlet tube.
    I'd think it would be good for a cold air box to be closed up except where cooler air was coming in. It doesn't make much sense to me either.

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums
    SCOTT57RT
    2007 RT Charger 5.7L - Black Crystal Pearl
    Mods: DiabloSport Predator - InertiaTuned, MagnaFlow CAT Back Exhaust, JBA High Flow Cats, JBA Headers, 185Tstat, 85mm CNC Throttle Body, 6psi-P1SC Procharger Supercharger, Blown Spartan Cam, 20x9 FR SRT8 Challenger Wheels/NittoInvo, Mygig, BC Racing Coilovers, Willwood Brakes&Rotors
    Thanks robstorredr/t thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. That's the whole reason I went with the Hellcat intake which is sealed from the engine bay and utilizes the front air duct.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Scat Pack Forums mobile app
    2006 Dodge Charger Daytona TorRed #1354, MagnaFlow - Tune - Gears - Homemade Air Grabber.
    Watch SaabKyle review my old Charger Scat Pack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6OA...ezVy7g&index=3

I detail cars in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area! 757-435-4027

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder why Dodge is making all the Daytona's with the Mopar CAI if it's supposed to be so inefficient compared to the closed sealed airbox that came on the 15-16 SP's?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    For looks I bet. It does look good. I have a friend in that says he can fab something from sheet metal to cover the hole. But was looking further into the design and at the top of box it notches down and cannot seal in the front, where the hood closes. Why would they design it this way?
    Rob

Current Ride - 2012 Dodge Charger 392 SuperBee - Yellow
    2014 Dodge Challenger - HederOrange, R/T Blacktop Edition - Sold
    2006 Dodge Charger Daytona 5.7L - Torred - Sold

Mods: Diablosport Intune
    Performance: TBD

Post Thanks / Like
    I've wondered the exact same thing!! My mopar CAI has a square opening on the front of the box and I never understood what it was for. I have a 13 challenger so no headlight intake. I thought it was maybe to capture air going around the grill and headlight area?
    2006 300 SRT8- sold 2/20/16

Current: 2013 Challenger SRT8 (dream car!!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A knight View Post
    I've wondered the exact same thing!! My mopar CAI has a square opening on the front of the box and I never understood what it was for. I have a 13 challenger so no headlight intake. I thought it was maybe to capture air going around the grill and headlight area?
    How's the Challenger treating you vs the 300? Did you get the 6spd or the auto?
    Current
    His: 2006 MSRT8, K&N CAI, built and tuned by MPR Motorsports (WhiteHemi), forged pistons and a HHP Stg 2r cam, HHP HEMITUNER TCM, Paramount Stg 2 valve body, Mopar Performance high stall converter, Flowmaster Super 10s, 180° t-stat, Tranzformer, Street Edge coilovers, 275/35/20 Continental ExtremeContact DW (square), otherwise bone stock.
    397rwhp/399rwtq
    Personal best 8.473 in the 1/8 and spinning like a fool, on old Toyos, pre Tranzformer, old suspension, and old stock engine, new times to come.

Hers: 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, bone stock and slow as a rock...
    MOPAR360
    Likes A knight liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you tell if the hole is cut out afterwards or part of the mold? If it's molded that way, they are just trying to save money in fab. If they cut it out afterwards, then I have no idea why they are doing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikibeast View Post
    How's the Challenger treating you vs the 300? Did you get the 6spd or the auto?
    It's better than I could've imagined! It's been my dream car for so long, still can't believe I have it lol. Went with the 6 speed and I'm glad I did, the driving experience is just incredible. Took it to the track and with a few bolt ons it actually ran faster than my 300 did with bolt ons+nitrous.

I miss the 300 though. Still think about it sometimes, was such a fun and cool car. I think I might get another one down the road as a daily.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just had another thought, maybe the intake needs the hole and the seal gap to help draw in cool air through the bottom. Not sure how the air is circulating through the engine. Has anyone done any air temp measurements with and without a plugged hole?

We probably need hemmisary to clear it up for us.

Post Thanks / Like
    SCTT57RT asked me to comment; without seeing the hole, it's actual location along with what structure is in front of the hole it would be difficult to comment. It may very well not ingest spent radiator or (hot) under hood air. Maybe if someone took a pic and posted it.

Note that all OEM air boxes how some sort of aperture that acts as an air horn. It's sole purpose is to allow some of the lower frequency sound generated from the reversed waves generated as intake valves close. Covering the hole would remove this effect.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Thanks SCOTT57RT thanked for this post
    Likes SCOTT57RT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    SCTT57RT asked me to comment; without seeing the hole, it's actual location along with what structure is in front of the hole it would be difficult to comment. It may very well not ingest spent radiator or (hot) under hood air. Maybe if someone took a pic and posted it.

Note that all OEM air boxes how some sort of aperture that acts as an air horn. It's sole purpose is to allow some of the lower frequency sound generated from the reversed waves generated as intake valves close. Covering the hole would remove this effect.
    Thanks for posting.

Here is the the closest picture I have....I haven't installed it yet. This might give you the relative position of things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, its a MOPAR aftermarket system. Does it have a lid?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    Ah, its a MOPAR aftermarket system. Does it have a lid?
    No. It seals to the hood.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Given the unit (as with most of these types of units) does not totally seal and isolate the filter from under hood air, covering that hole is not going to change things much. For-sure the hole is there to allow sound to emanate.

Post Thanks / Like
    I mean forgive me if I'm mistaken but it just seems common sense that the location of the large square hole would be a detriment, not only for the hot engine bay air filling the box but also you would lose some of the "pull" from down where it pulls outside air in. Like sucking through a straw with a hole in the side of it. Am I thinking correctly on this?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Share This Thread