Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I smell coolant

Post Thanks / Like

I smell coolant

Ok, maybe I can get some insight/help here. Everytime I drive my car and park I smell coolant. Took it to the dealer, they checked the engine bay, even lifted it and found there is a small leak somewhere but they can't find the damn thing. I have already changed my water pump, thermostat, and lower hose. Besides the fact that I can smell the coolant, I have a killer glass hose also and can see when its low. The shop did a compression check but couldn't find the leak. They told me to leave the car over night, let it cool down and they would do another compression check in the morning. Has this happened to anyone else here, and if so what the FUDGE was the problem? Better yet, anyone have an idea where the leak can be coming from?
    Thanks dmcphailtx thanked for this post
    Likes dmcphailtx liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Check the endtanks on the radiator, hard to see but a common place for a leak.
    2006 300c SRT8
    PWR Ported Heads | SRT Max Cam | 3.55 Getrag | GTP Ported Intake Manifold | Kooks Longtubes | Corsa Sport / SRT Resonators | AMG 8 Piston Brake Calipers | Hemituner 6,800 TCM | BT Catch Can | LMI True CAI V2 | Tranzformer | MM 87mm TB | Johan Tuned | REM Adjustable Endlinks & Front/Rear Shock Braces | 33/22mm Front/Rear Sway Bars | Michelin Pilot Super Sport 295/35/20 & 245/45/20 | 10" Widened Oem Wheels | LC-2 Wideband Analog Output to Trinity | Mishimoto Full Aluminum Radiator

Thanks unfall66 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have and none of the dealers can find it. Replaced radiator already. One dealer smelled it when I took it in but said they couldn't replicate the smell wheh the techs were working on it the next day!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Scat Pack Forums mobile app
    Thanks unfall66 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Lower hose. It collapses when it gets hot. Check and replace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Just had the lower hose replaced last month, still got that freaking smell. This sucks, I have to keep coolant in my car all the damn time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree on the radiator end tanks, where they meet the main tank there is often seepage or a leak. Could also just be a small hole in main radiator or hopefully not, the heater core.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    2016 Challenger SRT 392, A8, Technology Group

Post Thanks / Like
    if you smell it inside in might be the heater. If that's the case you'll smell it for a while, until it really starts leaking an you'll get a puddle.

bill

2007 BB Charger SRT8
    Airaid CAI, 180 Tstat, BT Catch Can, D1S HID headlight conversion, red led interior swap, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, MTCM, 3.73 getrag, six speed motor mounts, Lakewood 70/30 front shocks w/ V6 springs and 50/50s in back, SRT Max Plus, Paramount 55series Nag1 and torque converter, CTP solid cradle bushings
    285/35 R20 Michelin Pilot Supersports all 4 wheels
    28" hoosier slicks, MH racemaster skinnies.
    Tuned by Tim @ MPH. 403 RWHP, 402 TQ.
    12.133@111.42, 1.762 60' 620 DA

Post Thanks / Like
    Well as it is, I park my car, get out, and the smell hits me. One time at a car show I was reving the engine a bit, next thing I have a puddle coming from under my car. That was FREAKING embarrassing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok well that's definitely not the heater core. Just gotta keep looking, it's aggravating I know!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I get the smell on occasion. Most of time during warmer months.
    I can it find a leak anywhere. I have found just a few drops coming out of the coolant tank overflow hosed dripping down the inner fender well. Car has never been over 217 degrees. Never noticed it until after timing set was changed for a recall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you added dye yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe read this article and see if anything is relevant
    http://www.speedysgarage.net/challen...tem_rapair.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    On the 5.7s there is a steel heater line the runs out of the top of the water pump and one that runs out of the back. Both only use an o ring and one bolt to stay in place and sealed. They go bad all the time. If you look at the water pump you will see whater running down the from the steel line. Its under the intake tube so just pop it off and take a look

Sent from my XT1585 using Scat Pack Forums mobile app
    Likes Berserker liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a small crack on the overflow tank on the plastic spout that the hose connects to under the radiator cap. Pull off the hose and push on it to see if it moves. Also, were the engine block drain plugs removed when all this work was being done? Might not have used thread sealer when re-installing the plugs, coolant seeping onto the block might be what is causing the smell from outside. Also check the thermostat housing. Maybe overtorqued the bolts?
    2010 Charger 5.7 Police
    Cop Brakes, Cop Shocks, Cop farts trapped in seat cushions, Fastman TB, Sharadon Tune, LMI Frankentake IV, Stock T-Stat, UPR Catch Can, Mid-Muff delete.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."
    -John Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you considered that maybe you need to wash your engine bay to get rid of previous coolant stains and what not? My fan decided to blow up and took the radiator with it so there was coolant everywhere, especially when we replaced everything. I kept getting coolant smell but the coolant level never got low. I decided to detail my engine bay as I had stains from the coolant and problem solved.

Older: 2006 Top Banana #2040 w/ lots of goodies
    Old: 2007 Charger R/T 100% stock
    New: 2008 Charger R/T w/ SLP Loudmouth I, LMI Hammer, 91 CAI Diablo Tune, Air Silencer Delete, Drake Strut Tower Brace,
    Billet catch can, SRT suspension, Eibach front/rear sway bars, SRT front end
    R.I.P Dad 12/3/16 - 12/31/08

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread