Manton Pushrods

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to launch a 4400lb whale.......the basics

I originally posted this on CF a few months ago,but it seems it will do some good here as well...........

Since I have been watching some of the track threads and am seeing 60' times with lots of tire spin I thought I would put this up.This takes alot of practice but will improve your times.

The burnout is key.
    On street tires like an RSA's you want to spin them till smoke rolls off and NO waterbox on street tires.Set them about 24 psi if its on an 8.5" rim and 26-28 on a 9" rim.

With DR's I like to keep the pressure as high as possible until the car breaks traction.....in the warmer weather I run my DR's at 28lbs and down as low as 18 in the cold.A burnout just to clean the tire and slightly warm it is all thats required.

Use the converter......don't dumb launch(just mash the gas),especially if your making power.....that breaks parts.Stall the car against the converter(one foot on brake and one on the gas)and bring the rpm's up till the car wants to move.

When the lights come down the tree and you launch just lift off the brake and maintain the pedal position on the throttle.....this will let the car "hop" off the line and get a roll before you apply more throttle(this all happens in a nano second and is where the practice comes in).

Once the car is moving roll into the throttle smoothly and quickly.

Your throttle application will vary depending on track conditions.

Most of the guys you see with crazy 60' times do it like this.Just takes alot of practice so get to the track and have fun.

BFNYPERFORMANCE@YAHOO.COM
    RIP NHDave
    RIP LOU1355
    Likes Crazy R/T liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Good refresher coarse with the tracks opening soon!

Worlds first N/A stock motor LX Mopar 11sec.1/4mi. pass! Best SLB 11.660@117.63 1.70 60ft.
    Personal best time - heads, cam, ported intake, tune, 3,975#RW 11.071@126 1.51 60ft.

So far with 440 - 10.87 @ 126mph

Billy Briggs 440 with Thiteks!
    Completed and installed at BFNY!
    Tamed at Hemituner Performance!

Post Thanks / Like
    ah man , and all this time i thought putting it in nuetral, holding the rpms at 3000 and just dropping it in drive gives the best 60' times, lol...

Thank You Haz

Post Thanks / Like
    So MAsh the gas and hold the transbrake button bounce off the 2 step until the last yellow lights dosen't

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnparts View Post
    So MAsh the gas and hold the transbrake button bounce off the 2 step until the last yellow lights dosen't
    not in the beginner coarse it doesn't!

Post Thanks / Like
    What rpm are you "stalling" the car at? I've heard some follks bringing it up to about 2500, while others swear by the 12-1500 rpm mark.
    Hemi Registry 0436 PWR Forged 6.1 block -YSI @20psi -Modern Muscle Performance Stage3+ manifold and custom cam - 90mmTB- Indy Heads - TTI Longtubes - Enhanced(hemi31) TC/Transmission - HemiTuner TCM - BFNY 3.06 Getrag-325/45/17M&H 9.937 @ 138

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine?3000.......I like to go all the way up against the converter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe not necessarily YOURz... but in general. I see a LOT of folks saying 12-1500 rpms.

And to further enlighten the masses... Why do YOU launch at 3k?

Post Thanks / Like
    Because I can keep the rpm up through the launch without flashing the converter and taking the risk of breaking stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    You should stall up to where your car want to roll forward like Erik said...for some cars it is lower or higher..mine would start to roll forward at 2800 RPM so I stayed at 2500 and rolled into the throttle from there and was getting some good low 1.6s when I could practice a few times a week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfox0099 View Post
    You should stall up to where your car want to roll forward like Erik said...for some cars it is lower or higher..mine would start to roll forward at 2800 RPM so I stayed at 2500 and rolled into the throttle from there and was getting some good low 1.6s when I could practice a few times a week.
    If the car starts to roll forward just mash on the brake a little harder.

Post Thanks / Like
    That might work for a little ol' R/T but us big dogs...well ya know

Post Thanks / Like
    Question about the RPM that the stall needs to roll the car - will it be the same with or without the brake? And with mild throttle?

Could I find a parking lot, and with my foot off the brake, give slow throttle until it rolls, and see what that RPM is - and then use that number as the target for staging?

I've often wondered how to know how much to load up when you're staged.

- Click above for my HEMI Registry page -

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike regardless of the converter if you lift off the brake the car will probably roll at idle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi31 View Post
    Mike regardless of the converter if you lift off the brake the car will probably roll at idle.

uuuuhhh... DUH.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread