PDA

View Full Version : shifter problems and fix

Pages : [1] 2

kudasai
07-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Well, I am posting this because I have heard of one or two people having the same prolem, and while most people still have their warranty, you wont have it forever. So if this should happen to you, now you have a way to keep from getting ripped off at the stealership. And from what I saw, this will become an issue at some time or another. I don't know if the shifter is common for all the rt's or not, so i posted it here.

Basic situation: car would not come out of park. It would start fine, but just wouldnít shift. And the shifter felt like it was binding mechanically instead of any electronic inhibits.

After tearing out the trim pieces on the console, I found that there were two pink levers on the shifter.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/kudasai2/cars/101_0086.jpg

I pressed the one on the back(per the factory manual instructions) with no luck. However, there is a larger one on the front which was color coded the same bright pink.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/kudasai2/cars/101_0088.jpg
After monkeying with it a few seconds, I found that I could swivel it out of the way and engage the shifter. This at least got me on my way until I could find a better solution.

Well today I had the time to take it out and look at it. And a nagging suspicion I had was confirmed. Once I pulled the shifter out, I shook it, and two small pieces fell out.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/kudasai2/cars/101_0090.jpg
It seems the large swiveling lever in the front of the shifter works with the ignition lock. It isspring loaded open, and when the key is pulled a solenoid closes, actuates a cable, and pulls the lever to hold the shifter in park. When the solenoid is opened(key back in) the cable goes slack, and the spring pulls the lever open, allowing you to take the car out of park.

And the parts that fell out?

Those would be the spring, and the flimsy plastic arm that broke off. So here we have a spring the size of a dime that can render inoperable a 35k dollar car. Wonderful. Especially since if it fails, it is designed to do just that.

Even better, when I went to the dealer to get another, the guy just laughed and told me that they donít sell that part, you have to buy the whole shifter for 127 dollars. Donít get me wrong, I sadly expected that exact response. I just thought its nifty that only when you expect the worst does a 5 star dealer live up to your expectations.

So I decided to fix the problem myself. I used 20 thousandths lockwire that we use on the aircraft, a small hole in the lever, and a few minutes to put everything back together. The pictures should be self explanatory. I actually spent more time typing this and inserting photos than it took to fix the problem, but felt it well worth it. With the cost of a tow, an hour or more labor to have the part installed, scratched interior parts from them doing the work, and worst case a rental car, you could be out 3 or 4 hundred dollars simply because of a poorly designed 50 cent spring.

So even if it hasnít happened yet, just read and remember. A flimsy as the little plastic arm was that holds that spring, Iím pretty sure that they will be a common problem as the cars start to age.
Enjoy!
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/kudasai2/cars/101_0089.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/kudasai2/cars/101_0091.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/kudasai2/cars/101_0093.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/kudasai2/cars/101_0094.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/kudasai2/cars/101_0095.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/kudasai2/cars/101_0096.jpg

TWIST3D BLACK MAG
07-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Great Write up !!!!!

Beans to you !!!!

Super T
07-17-2007, 02:37 PM
stellar write-up!

jimhrabe
07-17-2007, 04:15 PM
I just found this and got the wives car back last Saturday after having this same problem!! Thanks for the info!

32Noir
07-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Excellent job. Thanks for this. I've already saved it for later..........

doughboy
07-18-2007, 11:55 AM
Lol. This JUST happened to my shifter assembly. Luckily under warranty. So no major issues, other than having to way almost a day or something for the right part to show up.

Edited to add:

Just for anybody that decides to do this out of warranty at a dealer. Not certain how many hours or the hourly rate for the labor.

Description List Price - Unit Price Labor
4578029A SHIFT ASM 54.85 54.85 179.50

Parts and Labor total: 234.35

BobF's 6POINT1
09-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Just happened to me yesterday. Now time to see if I can have the dealer look at it while I stop by for ten minutes instead of keeping it all day to tell me they need to order the part.

MattRobertson
09-15-2007, 01:33 PM
More beans coming your way. Fantastic write-up. This should go into the KB.

EDIT: ok duh. its already in the KB :D

Mighty Noid
09-16-2007, 01:03 AM
Just happened to me yesterday. Now time to see if I can have the dealer look at it while I stop by for ten minutes instead of keeping it all day to tell me they need to order the part.
Well I am glad to know that this was the issue. Even if the dealer can't fix it in time... you can do this quick fix for this upcoming weekend.

I am also glad that my memory isn't gone yet... :)

kudasai
09-16-2007, 06:23 PM
i'm glad to see that this fix it is still getting mileage. thanks for the beans everybody!

Davesatdoasisbar
03-20-2008, 10:39 PM
The old days were so much easier:wtf:

goldsmi
03-21-2008, 08:16 AM
'Just for anybody that decides to do this out of warranty at a dealer. Not certain how many hours or the hourly rate for the labor.

Description List Price - Unit Price Labor
4578029A SHIFT ASM 54.85 54.85 179.50

Parts and Labor total: 234.35'

OR

Just throw the pink plastic pawl in the trash - problem fixed forever $0.00

Magnum PI
05-04-2008, 05:01 AM
Well I'll be. This just happened to me tonight when we were about to go out for dinner. I started it up but couldn't shift out of Park. I quickly went to LXFORUMS to see who would know about this, and sure enough here is the great heads up article.

I will see if it is covered under my extended warranty, but sad if it really is due to a cheap plastic part. I may poke around in the morning to see if I can at least get it out of park so I can drive it to the dealership. Again, LXFORUMS to the rescue. Thanks Kudasai for the great write up! - MPI

joe incognito
05-04-2008, 05:50 AM
beans to you my friend, good post.will keep this in mind if (or should I say when) this happens to me.

SMKG HOT
05-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Great Write Up..........Great Solution.

Magnum PI
05-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Yep, it was the broken spring retainer. Covered under my extended warranty, but with a $100 deductible. Considering my car is only 3 1/2 years old, and only has 21,500 miles on it (I live on an island), you would think they would make the part out of metal, or use a metal sleeve to hold the spring. It completely disabled the car, and even the override button would not get it out of Park.

igoslow
06-09-2008, 01:57 PM
nothing here :loser:

ard2007
06-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks so much for this post Kudasai! I am a newbie with lxforums and a fan! I was getting frustrated with searching the web looking for a fix with a stuck parking gear on my mag.

Junior
06-18-2008, 04:28 PM
I know this is an older thread (one I never saw), but it was a timely bump - this exact problem happened to my Mom's car yesterday (300 Touring - we're an LX family) - Brandon (LXON02) and I pulled it apart and did some sleuthing, and discovered the exact same issue - that broken plastic hook.

Taking it in to the dealer in an hour or so, and they're going to swap out the mechanism.

Beans to you for the great description, pictures, and write-up. I was tempted to do the same, but I didn't really want to bother. Kudos for doing it!

:thumbs_u:

ard2007
06-18-2008, 10:35 PM
I was contemplating on performing this process on my magnum...but does anyone have any steps on taking apart the shifter? I would appreciate anyones help. I really not up to paying the $$$ and taking it to a shop.

ard2007
06-19-2008, 09:10 PM
I ended up taking the shifter out and doing the fix, but now some new problems have come up. The car comes out of park and I can shift the lever, but when I put the car in drive, it goes back, almost like it is in neutral. I can place the car in park, reverse, and neutral and those seem to work fine, but it will not go forward. Also, when I turn the key, some times the car will not start. After trying it a few times, the car will turn over. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be going on? The fix itself was pretty straight forward once I got the shifter out and taken apart. This new round of problems seems electrical in nature. Any help is great appreciated and will save my sanity!

fnkychkn
06-19-2008, 09:47 PM
I ended up taking the shifter out and doing the fix, but now some new problems have come up. The car comes out of park and I can shift the lever, but when I put the car in drive, it goes back, almost like it is in neutral. I can place the car in park, reverse, and neutral and those seem to work fine, but it will not go forward. Also, when I turn the key, some times the car will not start. After trying it a few times, the car will turn over. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be going on? The fix itself was pretty straight forward once I got the shifter out and taken apart. This new round of problems seems electrical in nature. Any help is great appreciated and will save my sanity!
try this:

ADJUSTMENTS - GEARSHIFT CABLE

Check adjustment by starting the engine in PARK and NEUTRAL. Adjustment is CORRECT if the engine starts only in these positions. Adjustment is INCORRECT if the engine starts in one but not both positions. If the engine starts in any position other than PARK or NEUTRAL, or if the engine will not start at all, the park/neutral position contact may be faulty.

https://w05.dealerconnect.chrysler.com/service/mds2002/serviceInfo/en_US/8134800b.gif
1.Shift transmission into PARK.
2.Remove floor console as necessary for access to the shift cable adjustment. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/FLOOR CONSOLE - REMOVAL (https://w05.dealerconnect.chrysler.com/service/mds2002/getSoftLink.do?NewSoftLinkId=AUTHOR-KEY-2337115370&VID=276889066&TOCSRCNAME=CMS&YEAR=2007&MDSLOCALE=en_US))
3.Loosen the shift cable adjustment screw (5).

4.Raise vehicle.
5.Unsnap cable eyelet from transmission shift lever.
6.Verify transmission shift lever is in PARK detent by moving lever fully rearward. Last rearward detent is PARK position.
7.Verify positive engagement of transmission park lock by attempting to rotate propeller shaft. Shaft will not rotate when park lock is engaged.
8.Snap cable eyelet onto transmission shift lever.

https://w05.dealerconnect.chrysler.com/service/mds2002/serviceInfo/en_US/8134800b.gif
9.Lower vehicle
10.Tighten the shift cable adjustment screw (5) to 7 N∑m (65 in.lbs.).
11.Verify correct operation.
12.Install any floor console components removed for access. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/FLOOR CONSOLE - INSTALLATION (https://w05.dealerconnect.chrysler.com/service/mds2002/getSoftLink.do?NewSoftLinkId=AUTHOR-KEY-2337115420&VID=276889066&TOCSRCNAME=CMS&YEAR=2007&MDSLOCALE=en_US))

ard2007
06-20-2008, 12:44 AM
Thank you very much. I will try those tomorrow!

Red Wraith
06-20-2008, 07:34 AM
I just tried to view the links posted above and received the following error. It appears to be available only to dealers. Do you happen to have a login?

Please enter your USER ID and PASSWORD and then submit.
NOTE: If your USER ID allows for multiple dealership access, a DEALER CODE may be entered.

ard2007
06-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Here is my progress with my situation with the shifter problem: After doing nothing more than wiggling the shift cable rod (see diagram -labeled 1) I got the car to drive forward and reverse. Park acted like it was in neutral. If anyone can make sense of this I'd appreciate it.

fnkychkn
06-20-2008, 10:27 PM
Here is my progress with my situation with the shifter problem: After doing nothing more than wiggling the shift cable rod (see diagram -labeled 1) I got the car to drive forward and reverse. Park acted like it was in neutral. If anyone can make sense of this I'd appreciate it.

ensure the cable is properly inserted at location 2.
the cable jacket should not move, just the metal cable inside.

Red Wraith
06-21-2008, 12:32 AM
Nm

ard2007
06-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Thank you. I will give it another shot tomorrow. I think I have the cable inserted properly. Would anyone happen to have a picture of what a properly connected cable looks like? I searched high and low (on this site as well as others) and could not find one. It is possible I just don't have it in correctly.

ard2007
06-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Well, the car seems to be OK (for now). Thanks fnkychkn (http://www.lxforums.com/board/member.php?u=4736) for all your help. When I went to start the car this morning, it still would not start. I noticed that the shifter cable was not sitting flush (location #2) and I pushed down on it and tried again. This time the car fired right up. I pressed down on the cable as hard as I could and then tightened the shift cable adjustment screw down. It is now starting up fine every time. I did not put the cover on it just yet because I am afraid it may act up again. If it does, I will post back on here. Thanks for all the help!!

deathbypar
07-04-2008, 12:29 PM
'

Is this really true, if so I will just take out the part for good?

This happened to me just last night.

miterangers
07-04-2008, 09:14 PM
thanks for the repair tip. It is hard to write down and illustrate all the steps and here are some things to add:
1. Removing the shift cable is a challenge; there is a small tab on the left side of it that you have to press forward before you can remove it from the housing.
2. When you reinstall the pink lever, ensure the shift lever is in the park position.
3. When you reinstall the shift cable, make sure the cable is locked back in place or else the transmission won't shift.

thanks again,

Cam
07-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Kudasai, good job on the write-up bud, thanks!!. So mine took a crap a couple days ago. Refered to your thread, very cool!! and did a little twist to your idea. I sanded off the broken nub and drilled a 3/32" hole and installed a cotter pin like so.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/techpwrsparky/shifter/DSCI0011.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/techpwrsparky/shifter/DSCI0010.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/techpwrsparky/shifter/DSCI0013.jpg

uwsacf
07-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Parts and Labor total: 234.35'

OR

So is the darn thing even necessary - or can it just be trashed?

goldsmi
07-11-2008, 03:30 PM
The pawl is only in the design in order to comply with the 'prevent-a-shift-out-of-PARK-unless-your-foot-is-on-the-brake' interlock requirement.

Cam
07-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Well I would say it's pretty damn important. With out it the gear selection can be done with out any safety catch. A fine example would a kid playing around in your car and slap that into neutral. Now wouldn't that make for a fine day. :blam:

You cannot leave the broken part in, other wise your doing the screw driver thingy everytime to get it into gear. So if you have to take it apart anyhow, why not fix it instead.

goldsmi
07-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Disagree about the critical nature of the part. From the dawn of the 'horseless carriage' age until 1991(?) we managed to survive as a species without the interlock. The Feds decided that even though we have a license to drive the vehicle, we were not smart enough or coordinated enough to step on the brake before shifting out of PARK.

Cam
07-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Well everyone can look at both sides of the coin and take it for what's it's worth and leave it at that. This thread is not the place for that discussion.

goldsmi
07-11-2008, 05:44 PM
I take it back - fix the part:

Mother and Three Children Killed when Minivan without Brake Shift Interlock rolled into Pond

On July 4, 2007, a 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager rolled into Bunnell's Pond at Beardsley Park in Conneticut, killing the three children inside the van and a 39 year old woman who attempted to stop the van. The Plymouth Grand Voyager was not equipped with a Brake Shift Interlock which prevents a vehicle from being shifted out of park if the brake pedal is not depressed.
Michelle McIntosh, 39, died Wednesday along with her 2-year-old son David and 3-year-old family friend Julia Boyd. Her nephew, Jayden Wilson, 6, died Thursday at Yale-New Haven Children's Hospital, where he had been in critical condition.
The van rolled about 60 or 70 yards into Bunnell's Pond at Beardsley Park, where many people had gathered to celebrate the holiday.
McIntosh who was looking for a spot to have a picnic briefly stepped out of the minivan to speak to friends. Seconds after she stepped out, the van began to roll, police said. She chased it and was dragged for a short distance, losing her shoes as she climbed in and tried to stop the vehicle, police said. It rolled 60 or 70 yards down a steep hill and into a pond, where it was submerged in 15 to 20 feet of water for up to 25 minutes.
A person with direct knowledge of the incident who requested anonymity because details haven't been made public said a child seated in the friends' vehicle reported seeing the younger McIntosh climb from the back seat to the front after his mother got out of the van.
It is widely known among car manufacturers and has been admitted by DaimlerChrysler, the manufacturer of the minivan, that a brake shift interlock prevents vehicles from accidentally being shifted out of park and prevents children from inadvertently shifting a minivan out of park. Despite this knowledge, DaimlerChrysler refuses to recall its minivans which have been linked to numerous accidents and deaths due to a lack of a brake shift interlock in its vehicles.
Harris Penn & Lowry has represented several families of persons injured when DaimlerChrysler minivans without brake shift interlock were shifted out of park causing them to roll. Within the last year, two DaimlerChrysler minivans were inadvertently shifted out of park killing an 18 month old boy in one incident and an adult male in another. Harris Penn & Lowry represents the family of the 18 month old boy.
In the case of Hamby v. DaimlerChrysler, the lawyers of Harris Penn & Lowry represented the family of Madison Hamby, 2 1/2 years old, who was killed when she shifted her family's 1991 Chrysler minivan out of park causing it to roll down the drive way. Madison was ejected and trapped under the front tire of the minivan. She suffocated as a result.
Hamby v. DaimlerChrysler was tried to a jury in February 2006. The jury returned a verdict of $4.5 million against DaimlerChrysler for its failure to warn of the lack of a brake shift interlock and the dangers of its minivan. This is believed to be the only plaintiff's verdict against DaimlerChrysler regarding its minivans and their lack of a brake shift interlock. It is also believed to be the second highest verdict in the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia.
Harris Penn & Lowry has gathered an extensive collection of documents regarding DaimlerChrysler's knowledge of the dangers of not putting a brake shift interlock on its minivans, including numerous previous incidents where children and adults were hurt or killed by its minivans.
HPL strongly urges parents to ensure any vehicle purchased has brake shift interlock on it prior to purchasing it. Ask your car dealer or test it by putting the key in the ignition, turning it to the on position, and then shifting the vehicle without depressing the brake pedal. Make sure no one is near then vehicle when testing it.
For more information regarding DaimlerChrysler Minivans or Brake Shift Interlock, call or email the lawyers at Harris Penn & Lowry.

BTWhite37
07-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Just happened to me in my '05 Magnum SXT this morning. Quick work of a screwdriver and right angle scribe got me on the way to work with only a few minutes late. Nice avaition fix!!!....... I'm an Erickson Aircrane helicopter electrician in southern Oregon. Your fix is clean and concise, and seems to be the way to go. Local dealership as ordered a new shifter assy. for 75.00 but my "Misses" will brake a nail getting it into gear if I don't try your fix tommorrow morning. Anyting I need to watch out for removing the shifter assembly? Thanks much, Brian

Cam
07-11-2008, 06:51 PM
The only thing I suggest is to mark the postion on the shift cable before you take the adjustment bolt out. That way your not messing with it later. Also, when you go to pop the housing off, take the back side loose first, then the two fronts. Other then that it's pretty straight forward.

BTWhite37
07-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Did the cotter pin fix suggested by Cam...... worked like a charm........... gonna go throw it back in the car.. You guys are great for being here........... Will call the dealership to cancel the order for my shifter assembly and save myself $75.00............... Thanx, Brian

uwsacf
07-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Well everyone can look at both sides of the coin and take it for what's it's worth and leave it at that. This thread is not the place for that discussion.

Well, why isn't this the place?

I don't need the nanny state to tell me how to operate machinery...

I have many vehicles without the interlock - including some serious ground-pounders...

Without being surly about it - back to the question:

I would assume one just can't discard the piece - it would seem the plastic piece would have to be set in a fixed position to acknowledge the brake is on..

or does complete removal do just that?

YourBasicMom
07-12-2008, 09:36 PM
This was awesome! Thank you so much, kudasai! Your pictures were so detailed that they actually helped me out (: Thanks so much, your'e a life saver.

Cam
07-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Well, why isn't this the place??

Because this is the knowledge base where folks come to find solutions to their problems. Not a subforum for discussion about human stupidity. I glady join right in if you want to start a thread in another forum other then this. You just let me know when your ready for a heart to heart.

Without being surly about it - back to the question:

BTW, little to late for that.

uwsacf
07-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Ok, I can agree to a different place and time for a discussion about human frailty...

But to the technical aspects of whether the piece actually needs to be there - does it?

Or will the trans function without it being locked into a certain position?

fnkychkn
07-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Ok, I can agree to a different place and time for a discussion about human frailty...

But to the technical aspects of whether the piece actually needs to be there - does it?

Or will the trans function without it being locked into a certain position?
the part that breaks is for the ignition interlock. it prevents shifting out of park unless the ignition switch is in an unlocked position. if you remove the broken pink lever, the shifter will always be unlocked and can be moved out of park at any time, even with the ignition key out.
don't recommend anyone do this, just trying to explain how it works.

PHANTZM
08-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Mine broke today ....... of course it happend as I was leaving for an appointment. But , I remembered seeing this and quickly came and searched and after a few minutes and a screwdriver later I was on my way.

Kudos to any and all involved with this resolution, will try to take car of it soon , or just have the dealer replace it (I think my xtnded warranty covers it anyway).

Junior
08-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Kudos to any and all involved with this resolution, will try to take car of it soon , or just have the dealer replace it (I think my xtnded warranty covers it anyway).

It should, I imagine, but if it doesn't, and they want $300, we can rig it up.

PHANTZM
08-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Got an appointment at Moore Chrysler tomorrow to do my oil and check on that for me. We'll see 8)

1FST4DR
08-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Man great write up.!! Works like a charm.The cotter pin idea from Cam is the shiznit!

SMKG HOT
08-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Great Idea..........CAM.....You da man...! Beans to ya.

Kudasai, good job on the write-up bud, thanks!!. So mine took a crap a couple days ago. Refered to your thread, very cool!! and did a little twist to your idea. I sanded off the broken nub and drilled a 3/32" hole and installed a cotter pin like so.

semihemi2
08-10-2008, 09:38 AM
:racing:Excellent idea thanks!!!

VIDEOBOB
08-12-2008, 05:49 AM
BUMP!
This is a must read for every LX owner!!!!
This will eventually happen to all of us, and I almost think that on a day off things like
this should be fixed even before they get broke!
The cotter pin was a good one!

I carry with me an extra REC NAVI knob kit on trips, because it has failed on me twice
and both times out of state when I needed it most!
I now carry with me some basic tools at all times.
Precision screw drivers, a cheapo multimeter, basic wrenches, multi-tool screwdrivers
and etc.

I would like to make a mod that will disable the side-to-side shifting when I want,
because every time I get road head the girl slides it into 1st on the highway!!!!!
:rock:

PlumCrazyDaytona
08-18-2008, 11:59 PM
Damn this is not good. I have been so pumped about the quality of my car since I have had no issues after a year and 12,000 miles. Looks like this pig will soon start to be a major PIA
Brakes I suppose are comming soon
Tires next
Tranny Seal, tie rods
And now the fing shifter

SStlthy
08-19-2008, 10:06 PM
I obviously need to read the forum more often: this happened to me 90 MINUTES AGO and I had no clue what it was. 5:30pm, rush hour, main street in my little town of Merced, car wouldn't go out of park. Had it towed, and of course they had to DRAG the rear tires across about 8 feet of street and then up the tow truck bed, this after about 25 minutes of waiting for the truck to show up and everyone having to merge into one lane around my car. &@*!&#@! First thing I did once I got the tow truck driver paid ($50 - would have been more but I knew the dispatch guy) was to jump on here to look for the cause. I'm gonna go look for a cotter pin! Beans to Cam & Kudasai!

fnkychkn
08-19-2008, 10:13 PM
I obviously need to read the forum more often: this happened to me 90 MINUTES AGO and I had no clue what it was. 5:30pm, rush hour, main street in my little town of Merced, car wouldn't go out of park. Had it towed, and of course they had to DRAG the rear tires across about 8 feet of street and then up the tow truck bed, this after about 25 minutes of waiting for the truck to show up and everyone having to merge into one lane around my car. &@*!&#@! First thing I did once I got the tow truck driver paid ($50 - would have been more but I knew the dispatch guy) was to jump on here to look for the cause. I'm gonna go look for a cotter pin! Beans to Cam & Kudasai!
more reading for you:
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=127191

decrago
08-20-2008, 09:55 AM
Is this also a problem with the '08 V6 AWD models? I ask because when I pulled the trim ring around the shifter, it looked like my shifter box was wider than the one illustrated here. I have not gone any further taking it apart, so maybe I'm missing something. I have an '08 Dodge Charger SXT AWD V6.

Thanks!

SRT80953
08-20-2008, 09:25 PM
Billet Tech makes part. The spring will eat through cotter pin eventually.

Junior
08-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Billet Tech makes part. The spring will eat through cotter pin eventually.

I'm guessing it won't. They're both steel, and in theory the spring steel may have more of an effect on the aluminum part than on the steel cotter pin.

I'm not sure that either is a problem, just saying I doubt the cotter pin is.

SRT80953
08-20-2008, 09:45 PM
Cotter pin is too soft.spring steel will own it..eventually.

Cam
08-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Cotter pin is too soft.spring steel will own it..eventually.

Not in my lifetime.

decrago
08-23-2008, 01:54 AM
Is this also a problem with the '08 V6 AWD models? I ask because when I pulled the trim ring around the shifter, it looked like my shifter box was wider than the one illustrated here. I have not gone any further taking it apart, so maybe I'm missing something. I have an '08 Dodge Charger SXT AWD V6.

Thanks!

Well, to answer my own question, I took mine apart tonight and it is completely different. The only "Pink Thingy" i have is towards the back and the part that rotates is green, not pink. It also looks like the emergency release will work in case the green part breaks.

Junior
08-23-2008, 03:09 AM
I was inside mine today doing the paddle wiring, and it's apparently different that the one I got my hands on before (Mom's '07 300 Touring). I could actuate the pink thingy with my fingers on hers, and on mine, there's no way to even get to it. Not sure if my memory is wrong, or what...

EDIT: OK, I think my memory was bad, or I hadn't dug as deeply... she's there, like she should be.

Xrated
08-29-2008, 02:24 AM
i just had this happen on my srt charger!!! is it all the same?? My car is at my office and I dont have the time to take it all apart!!! lol

Xrated
08-29-2008, 02:41 AM
please eamil me at texasocguy@gmail.com with any suggestions! :) Thanks!

SStlthy
08-29-2008, 03:17 AM
Here's your temporary solution:

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77641&highlight=Fahad+Stuck+park

fnkychkn
08-29-2008, 06:32 AM
please eamil me at texasocguy@gmail.com with any suggestions! :) Thanks!
email sent

James Bruce
09-28-2008, 07:28 PM
My 'new to me' 05 Mag had this happen this morning. I opted for the cotter pin option. My wife said "It's gotta be stronger than a piece of plastic."
A few notes - There are 2 screws on the shft bezel to remove it.
Then 2 more screws behind the ash receiver along with 3 in the console beneath the rubber bottom to remove the console. You can slide the console to the rear to remove the shifter.
There are 2 wiring harness connectors at the left rear of the shifter mechanism.
The shift cable housing is retained by a pin thru the shifter housing. There is another cable housing connected to a solenoid I think whose housing is also retained by a similar mechanism.
Marking the shift cable adjustment bolt before removal works great.
Oh and the shift knob unscrews.
Thanks for the writeup guys.

1FST4DR
09-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Screw the plastic thing when we have Billet!!
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=127191

Junior
10-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Well, I donated my new Billet replacement to a damsel this morning (she was in distress), but I was feeling frisky, so I took her broken one, and did Cam's cotter pin fix to it, and swapped it out for my (so far) unbroken one:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o73/itllgrowback/Projects/Shifter%20Stuff/IMG_6077.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o73/itllgrowback/Projects/Shifter%20Stuff/IMG_6079.jpg

James Bruce
10-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Good deed and a great fix.

BTW - The cable that the plastic piece connects to is called the park-lock cable. It runs to the ignition switch and prevents moving the shifter out of park with the key off.
There is a separate solenoid in the rear of the shifter that prevents shifting out of park unless the brake pedal is pressed. The override 'button' described in the owners manual and above is used to override that interlock.

iceman-5076Hemi
10-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Definitely a BUMP to this thread!!!

Beans to Kudasai for the thread and to all others that contributed. Good advise from Video Bob...why not take an hour and knock it out...that's all it takes for the most retarded of folks (me especially). This was knocked out in just under an hour and I took the time to vacum under the console. I love the cotter pin fix, thanks Cam. This is such an easy fix to a potential and huge PIA. As soon as I can cough up 50 bones I'll be getting the billet piece!!! Thanks again to all who contributed!!!!

petes
10-20-2008, 10:35 AM
ok guys, kinda got a serious problem on my hands and need some help. last night i park my 300 on my driveway, shifted if into park, took my foor off the brake and the car began to roll back!

i did the "pink thingy" repair a couple of month ago, so i thought that the shifter cable might have been loose. but if it was this then i would not have been able to put it in any of the gears correct?

what could this be? i quickly took apart the shifter just to make sure the screw on the cable was tight and it was. could i be that it just slipped a tiny bit out of place and the lock is not engaging on the tranny?

please help, im about to pull my hair out!

thanks

fnkychkn
10-20-2008, 07:09 PM
ok guys, kinda got a serious problem on my hands and need some help. last night i park my 300 on my driveway, shifted if into park, took my foor off the brake and the car began to roll back!

i did the "pink thingy" repair a couple of month ago, so i thought that the shifter cable might have been loose. but if it was this then i would not have been able to put it in any of the gears correct?

what could this be? i quickly took apart the shifter just to make sure the screw on the cable was tight and it was. could i be that it just slipped a tiny bit out of place and the lock is not engaging on the tranny?

please help, im about to pull my hair out!

thanks
it would be nice to know what you're driving.
possible candidate for E14 recall (http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB/Recall_RCE1405.pdf)?

1FST4DR
10-20-2008, 07:47 PM
He might have a shifter cable out of adjustment

petes
10-20-2008, 08:01 PM
it would be nice to know what you're driving.
possible candidate for E14 recall (http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB/Recall_RCE1405.pdf)?

i have a 05 300 limited..

is this a common recall??

fnkychkn
10-20-2008, 08:12 PM
i have a 05 300 limited..<<< type it in your profile

is this a common recall??
click here (http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/index.jsp?screenName=recall&country=us&emailUrl=goToEmailForm%28%27R%27%29). type in the last 8 characters of your VIN and click on the GO button to see any outstanding recalls on your car.

2ruthlz
01-08-2009, 04:10 PM
thanx KUDASI for the great write up whithout this thread I would have paid my local dealer $145 for the shifter assembly and $190 for labor you rock bro... Thanx.... I used your advice and pics and it all went well plus my girl thinks I spent the money on my shifter but I'm really order parts from Billet Tech...

lumrodri
02-01-2009, 05:50 PM
I had bought 2005 Magnum R/T used 2yrs ago and last nite was going out with some family and noticed car would not get out of parking. I googled the issue and came upon this forum with "kudasai" fix manual for the shifter.
I thought "NA! that cant be it... THAT LIL THING" (referring to small pink tab and spring) next day went to dealer and was told $218 for the HOLE shifter, when I told the guy what I read online, I was told "We don't have time for that". I was PISSED!!!
Went home printed out the pics and started dismateling the shifter.
Then 3 & 1/2 hrs later, $3.50 on 10in socket and 1 wire hanger later.... :modding:I had my car running without a PROBLEM!!!
So, I just want to THANK SO MUCH "kudasai" for taking the time and placing all the pics and explaining because you just saved me $$$$, and right now economy is NOT good!

KUDOS BIG TIME!!!

fnkychkn
02-01-2009, 06:06 PM
I had bought 2005 Magnum R/T used 2yrs ago and last nite was going out with some family and noticed car would not get out of parking. I googled the issue and came upon this forum with "kudasai" fix manual for the shifter.
I thought "NA! that cant be it... THAT LIL THING" (referring to small pink tab and spring) next day went to dealer and was told $218 for the HOLE shifter, when I told the guy what I read online, I was told "We don't have time for that". I was PISSED!!!
Went home printed out the pics and started dismateling the shifter.
Then 3 & 1/2 hrs later, $3.50 on 10in socket and 1 wire hanger later.... :modding:I had my car running without a PROBLEM!!!
So, I just want to THANK SO MUCH "kudasai" for taking the time and placing all the pics and explaining because you just saved me $$$$, and right now economy is NOT good!

KUDOS BIG TIME!!!some more reading for you: http://lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=127191

btw, welcome to LXforums. :)

James Bruce
02-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Yes welcome lumrodri.
A new shifter also has that same piece of plastic in it waiting to break. Not a great solution.

randkcustoms
04-01-2009, 01:34 AM
BUMP. Im having the same problem that it wont go into park on my SRT. It also wont engage drive.

Midnight451
04-01-2009, 03:10 AM
Its probably the same piece that broke. If you can hold off, order the Aluminum one from Billet tech and replace with that. I replaced mine after reading numerous threads and pleas for help when other had theirs brake.
http://www.custombilletstore.com/product_p/1028.htm

maggie05
04-02-2009, 06:43 PM
New to the forums, i just did this repair on my magnum rt 05 and worked out beautifully, but now its throwing a check engine light. i know i reconnected all the connections, anyone know what might be the cause?

fnkychkn
04-02-2009, 07:00 PM
New to the forums, i just did this repair on my magnum rt 05 and worked out beautifully, but now its throwing a check engine light. i know i reconnected all the connections, anyone know what might be the cause?
try the key dance method to display DTCs and post them up. someone will help you out.

maggie05
04-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Okay i just did the key thing it shows code u0103.

fnkychkn
04-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Okay i just did the key thing it shows code u0103.

did you reconnect the shifter module connector?

U0103-LOST COMMUNICATION WITH ELECTRIC GEAR SHIFT MODULE

When Monitored: Ignition run time is greater than 1 second. Battery voltage between 9 and 16 volts. Engine run time greater than 3 seconds.
Set Condition: The PCM doesn't receive a Electric Gear Shift Module message over the CAN C circuit. The circuit is continuously monitored.
Possible Causes
CAN C BUS FAILURE OPEN OR SHORTED CONDITION
ELECTRIC GEAR SHIFT MODULE
PCM

maggie05
04-02-2009, 07:54 PM
okay i'll recheck all my connections

maggie05
04-02-2009, 08:02 PM
i checked all the connections, Btw which one is the shifter module connector?

fnkychkn
04-02-2009, 08:26 PM
i checked all the connections, Btw which one is the shifter module connector?
sorry i don't have a picture of where it goes but it looks like this:

https://w05.dealerconnect.chrysler.com/service/mds2002/serviceInfo/en_US/81f4a281.gif

maggie05
04-02-2009, 09:10 PM
all my connections are on, maybe i just need to reset my pcm?

maggie05
04-02-2009, 09:14 PM
BTW that pic is the rear of the assembly right?

fnkychkn
04-02-2009, 11:35 PM
all my connections are on, maybe i just need to reset my pcm?maybe you had the key on while this connector was disconnected???
pull fuse 11 in IPM (integrated power module/under hood fuse box) for 15 seconds to clear stored codes.

BTW that pic is the rear of the assembly right?
that diagram is looking at the component end of the connector.

maggie05
04-02-2009, 11:42 PM
That did the trick, thanks a bunch bro.

DarkKnightIII
04-24-2009, 01:52 PM
Hello All,

I just wanted to say thank you very much Kudasai. :pepper:This not only saved me a day off work but also around $500 for repairs, tow, and time lost. :sad:

The family and I got up Sunday morning to go to church and when we got in the car it would not let me get out of park. It wasnt the safety brake release, it was something else.:sad::roll:

We took the wifes car to work and when I got home I started searching on the internet for similar problems. After about 2 hours I had found many people with the same problem, but not many solutions except take it into the dealership. I even asked a couple people what the end solution was and they replied "had to have it towed in and they replaced the entire shifter". :roll::banghead:

Finally I came across the LX forums :mrgreen: and found that Kudasai had not only had the same problem, but also fixed it himself and was kind enough to post detailed descriptions and pictures, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! :beerchug:

I am by no means a mechanic, but I am very handy and can do a lot when I try, so I attempted to fix the problem as Kudasai described. You must know that your entire center console must be removed and be careful when you disassemble certian parts inside the shifter due to small parts may fall out.

:modding:

The problem IS in fact as Kudasai describes, the small hook for the spring on the upper pink plastic part is in fact not only a very poor design but I would assume it is also "Designed Obselence" where you either are forced to pay to have it replaced or the dealership trys to talk you into a newer car. Note that they will not replace JUST the small pink plastic piece you need, they force you to buy the entire shifter assembly. :blam:

All told I spent about 3 hours fixing the problem and it works like new and is much stronger than before, so I shouldnt have to worry about it breaking again. It is shameful that SO many parts, cars, electronics, and other comsumer goods are designed to fail so we must pay into the system and get them fixed. When you put your car into park this piece is slammed shut and therefore it is not a matter of IF this part will break, but when.

:modding:

Luckly it was parked in my garage when it happened to me, but if you are mechanically inclined I would recomend that you proactivlly fix this before it happens to you or your spouse while they are somewhere you HAVE to get it towed. A good 3 hours on a Sunday should do.

Another problem that I will post information about that I have had with the Chrysler transmitters involves them stopping working. After a trip to the dealership to buy some batteries, the sales clerk said "I can sell you the batteries, they are $2 each, but thats probablly not the problem, they are usually defective and you have to buy a new one".

I said ok, how much are they? and he replied "$200 each". :banghead: Well I am not a rich person and I can not afford that and I have 2 transmitters so that would have cost $400, so I took them home, took them appart and realised that its really simple, the metal piece that holds the battery in place is just another poor design and after I re-soldered (sp)it back onto the board they work great.

If anyone would like more instructions about the shifter problem or the transmitter problem please feel free to email me.

THANKS AGAIN Kudasai!!!:beerchug:

~Jason

GasGunR
04-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Billet Technologies makes a replacement part for the pink thingy in aluminum. BT is a supporting vendor here. Contact them for details.

MuscleMan305
05-02-2009, 05:21 PM
If anyone would like more instructions about the the transmitter problem please feel free to email me.

Thanks, kudos for that!!! What happens if the transmitter brakes and the car alarm is on, if i open the door manually will the car alarm go off and will sticking the key in the ignition turn it off? I remeber my old 4runner had a little toggle switch for this but havent seen one for this car anywhere.

bryan_k47
05-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Is this Flimsy little piece in both the R/T and SRT's ?

GasGunR
05-11-2009, 10:23 PM
yes, all cars with NAG1s

fnkychkn
05-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Is this Flimsy little piece in both the R/T and SRT's ?
pretty sure the shifter was redesigned for '08.

see post #17 in this thread: http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=163834

Scooby
05-13-2009, 12:58 AM
Our 06 charger, gave me a not so friendly reminder that I havent logged in to the forum for awhile :banghead:

And by that I mean my wife calls me from her work saying "the car wont shift outa park"

So I go fiddle with it, and it felt like it was binding in the shifter so I pulled all the plastic covers off from around the shifter, and fiddled around with it till I figured out the pink plastic thing was keeping it from moving, so I got it pushed outa the way using a screwdriver , and that got it outa park and got the car home. :)

Then I logged onto the forum and have been reading for the last 3 hours.

I am thinking of letting her use it like this for the next few days, until this weekend when I'll have time to remove the shifter and fix it properly.
I'll probably just do the "cotter pin fix" seams like that should work fine...(gotta be 1000 times better than the factory plastic tab :roll:)

Anyway, just wanted to thank everyone for the detailed info, instructions and photos.
Keep up the great work on the forum fellas , and I'll try to not be such a stranger
:beerchug:

Scooby
05-16-2009, 03:53 PM
I did the cotter pin fix this morning . And was able to do it without removing the console.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/blown70/2006%20Charger%20SXT/PICT0139.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/blown70/2006%20Charger%20SXT/PICT0138.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/blown70/2006%20Charger%20SXT/PICT0132.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/blown70/2006%20Charger%20SXT/PICT0131.jpg

QwickSilverC
05-20-2009, 10:32 PM
I went ahead and ordered one from BT along with the catch can on sale.

Vipergtsr6
07-07-2009, 06:56 PM
I read that the BT replacement part is only good for cars with the NAG1 transmission. I have an 05 with the 4 speed transmission. I am under the impression that the BT part is not going to work.

Does that only leave me to do the cotter pin repair? Will my shifter look similar to the pictures posted in the cotter pin repair pictures?

Any help on this matter would be appreciated. I have to go home after I get off work tonight at 9:00pm and repair this poorly designed part. I almost had my car towed to the Stealership for repair, but read all of the posts on the forum and decided I could fix it myself.

SStlthy
07-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Yes, it works. It worked perfectly on my 05 Magnum RT.

Junior
07-07-2009, 07:05 PM
I read that the BT replacement part is only good for cars with the NAG1 transmission. I have an 05 with the 4 speed transmission. I am under the impression that the BT part is not going to work.

Pretty sure that they are different. Did I read correctly that yours already failed, or were you looking to prevent it?

Either way, the cotter pin trick should work, though the part may look a bit different. You'd just have to find the little tang where the spring hooks onto (or used to, whichever the case may be), and add a cotter pin to that spot. Remember to hook the spring to the cotter pin before you put the cotter pin through the hole.

But hopefully someone with some more first-hand experience with the four-speed will chime in.

Vipergtsr6
07-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Yes, it works. It worked perfectly on my 05 Magnum RT.

Do you have the 4 speed transmission? I am driving an 05 3.5 with a 4 speed transmission. I have the following gears listed on my gear selector:

P
R
N
D
L

I called BT this morning and they told me that it will only work on the transmissions that have the "bump" shift mode. I would be more than happy to drop $50 but BT gives me the impression that I would be throwing my money away.

GasGunR
07-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Yep, probably won't work:(

1FST4DR
07-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Do you have the 4 speed transmission? I am driving an 05 3.5 with a 4 speed transmission. I have the following gears listed on my gear selector:

P
R
N
D
L

I called BT this morning and they told me that it will only work on the transmissions that have the "bump" shift mode. I would be more than happy to drop $50 but BT gives me the impression that I would be throwing my money away.

Sorry bud,Just didnt want you to waist your money.If you can verify that pink think is in your shifter then yes it would work..

GasGunR
07-07-2009, 09:07 PM
I had an extra 4 speed shifter, but too it back to the dealer, (they sent me the wrong one), seemed like it didn't have many if any parts that were the same... I'd take some good pics of what you have that is broken to see if BT thinks it might work... if alot of these start breaking they may want to make a new part though:)

Vipergtsr6
07-07-2009, 09:08 PM
No I appreciate that 1FST4DR. I just hope that because I have the 4 speed that I am stuck without a permanent fix. I am glad that you told me it wouldn't work before I spent my money and waited a few days for shipping.

Anyways, I will pull it apart tonight and take some pictures to verify what parts the shifter housing has on the 4 speeds.

1FST4DR
07-07-2009, 09:10 PM
No I appreciate that 1FST4DR. I just hope that because I have the 4 speed that I am stuck without a permanent fix. I am glad that you told me it wouldn't work before I spent my money and waited a few days for shipping.

Anyways, I will pull it apart tonight and take some pictures to verify what parts the shifter housing has on the 4 speeds.

Cool ,Let me know and I can shoot you one asap if you need it.I have plenty instock

Junior
07-07-2009, 10:34 PM
I just noticed you're in Surprise - we're fixing one on Thursday evening in Peoria if you wanna come by and get yours done too.

I'll be pickled if we can't fix it right, one way or another.

Vipergtsr6
07-07-2009, 10:46 PM
I just noticed you're in Surprise - we're fixing one on Thursday evening in Peoria if you wanna come by and get yours done too.

I'll be pickled if we can't fix it right, one way or another.

Thanks for the offer! :thumbs_u: I will see what I can come up with tonight....If I can't figure it out I will ride it out until Thursday! I just hate having the wife take me to work and pick me up!

davidadavila
07-08-2009, 04:23 PM
i cant take the center console off where it meets the radio any help

Scooby
07-08-2009, 04:58 PM
its way easier to not take the center console out at all.

Vipergtsr6
07-08-2009, 05:02 PM
I do believe that the pink thing in the 4 speed transmissions is the same as a 5 speeds with the "bump shift". I took pictures of it last night but forgot to take the memory card to work so that I could upload them. I was a little burned out after working a 12 hour day, going to bed at 2:30 then leaving for work again at 9:30 for another 12 hour day. I will upload pics tonight.

After 3 hours of messing with the stupid "pink thing" and taking it in and out of the car 5 times I got it working with the cotter pin method, but not working perfectly. It seems that once I shift from park and get lower through the gear box the "pink thing" raises ever so slightly causing some friction when I try to shift back into park. There is a gap between the top of the "pink thing" and the bottom of the gear selector cover that holds the "pink thing" in place. I tried 2 small washers witch kept it down perfectly but then created friction when shifting out of park. I removed one washer and now there is only a little friction when I shift in or out of park.

Anyone Experience this issue? Hopefully it won't matter when I get confirmation that the "pink thing" is the same as the BT repleacement.

Vipergtsr6
07-10-2009, 01:36 AM
Well here are the pictures of the "pink think" from the 4 speed transmission as promissed. Can someone confirm that it is the same as the transmission with the "bump shift" so that I can buy the BT replacement part?

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z37/vipergtsr6/Washer%20And%20Dryer/DSC04350.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z37/vipergtsr6/Washer%20And%20Dryer/DSC04351.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z37/vipergtsr6/Washer%20And%20Dryer/DSC04352.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z37/vipergtsr6/Washer%20And%20Dryer/DSC04353.jpg

Junior
07-10-2009, 04:27 AM
Sure looks like it to me!

(I'll be damned...)

Darin
07-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks a ton kudasai, great write up. Had the issue, checked the board, tore the f'n car to pieces, hacked that god forsaken little arm off the dreaded pink piece and put it all back together. From search to test drive, about an hour. Thanks for saving me some serious time and $$.

Be well,
Darin

Matt400
07-29-2009, 01:18 AM
I knew if I looked long enough I would find something on a fix that was cool.
Much thanks to Kudasai for taking time to get this thread going and to Cam for the updated idea :thumbs_u:

Chadwyck01
07-31-2009, 11:34 AM
Considering I just spent $389 yesterday replacing the shifter assembly, I think I may have bought myself some time but Im definitely not all warm and fuzzy about it. I may do this mod/repair in the future, at least in the next 2 yrs anyway.

Just wondering, was anybody's covered under warranty. I was told mine was not, even the extended warranty didnt cover this... so they said.

Scooby
07-31-2009, 11:38 AM
tell them you want your old shifter assembly back,
then you can do the "Fix" to it and it will be ready for your next replacement.
And the next time will be the last time.

Chadwyck01
07-31-2009, 12:08 PM
Yeah I got it from them before I left and it really got me steamed to see that tiny little nub where that tiny little arm was. Talk about "designed-in failure". If I had more time i would have bought one of those BT aluminum replacement ones, but Im going to Calif. early next week. Kinda hesitant now though... but I know how to get it out of PARK if I have to. Thanks to these forums. :rock:

SoCalRT
08-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Mine broke today, a day when I really needed the site to be up, good thing I remember CAM's fix from reeding this thread before...thanks....

seansmagnum
08-03-2009, 12:07 PM
I was able to fix the problem by completely removing the two pink parts and leaving the smaller linkage not connected. i couldn't fix the problem by keeping the pink parts because the spring was MIA. I wanted to chime in to tell people your car will work if you have to remove the pink parts completely.
:sosayweall:

redmag05
08-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Yep !!!!! Shifter got me on friday. Took a few mins. to cool off .... I had just stop for a cup of coffee.... and there i sit.... In my case i just took that pink leaver out and that's it. Works great!!!!

fnkychkn
08-03-2009, 01:11 PM
I was able to fix the problem by completely removing the two pink parts and leaving the smaller linkage not connected. i couldn't fix the problem by keeping the pink parts because the spring was MIA. I wanted to chime in to tell people your car will work if you have to remove the pink parts completely.

Yep !!!!! Shifter got me on friday. Took a few mins. to cool off .... I had just stop for a cup of coffee.... and there i sit.... In my case i just took that pink leaver out and that's it. Works great!!!!
those "pink thingies", although not required for shifter operation, are important safety/security features to prevent accidental shifting out of park.

the one that breaks is the ignition interlock that prevents shifting out of park unless the key is in the ACC/ON position. this helps prevent vehicle theft (good luck making a claim if your insurance finds out this feature was disabled).

the one that doesn't break is the BTSI (brake transmission shift interlock) and prevents shifting out of park unless the brake pedal is depressed. this has been the subject of many recalls by several manufacturers as a result of pets/children shifting out of park while the vehicle is unsupervised resulting in many injuries and more than a few deaths.

therefore, i strongly recommend against disabling these components. if vehicle is out of warranty, a $50 BT replacement is a small price to pay for the safety/security these features provide.
[/rant]

fuzzycali
08-03-2009, 07:07 PM
:shock::wtf:LIKE FUNKY SAID"NOT RECOMMENDED"

Mz Mala
08-06-2009, 10:49 AM
I just wanted to say thanks for the info you provided on the gear shift fix, mine broke for the 3rd time yesterday, and each time it has cost me no less than $300.00. I printed up the info you provided and took it home and had my bro in law,(who isnt even a mechanic but "mechanically inclined") and he took a look at it and fixed it in about an hour. He also fixed it so that it won't keep happening. KUDOS!! and thanks again!!
P.S if anyone has any doubts about the information provided, it does WORK!! :beerchug::spock:

MattRMagnum
08-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Given that this is such a common occurance, I'm thinking of just buying a cotter pin, breaking mine myself, and then fixing it. XD

Matt400
08-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Given that this is such a common occurance, I'm thinking of just buying a cotter pin, breaking mine myself, and then fixing it. XDThats what I am going to do, don't want that happening when under pressure like trying to make a flight or something.

fuzzycali
08-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Given that this is such a common occurance, I'm thinking of just buying a cotter pin, breaking mine myself, and then fixing it. XD

THATS WHAT I DID,BUT I INSTALLED THE BILLET TECHNOLOGY PEICE.:thumbs_u:

typicalmarine
08-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Mine went yesterday.... BT part ordered.

fnkychkn
08-09-2009, 11:10 PM
i have yet to replace a shifter because of "pink thingy" failure. so i was curious if these failures have a discernable pattern; model year, build date, mileage, geographic area, etc.
hmmm???

typicalmarine
08-09-2009, 11:23 PM
fnky, I considered buying the BT part but rolled the dice. Sure enough out of the blue mine went.

05 Magnum R/T, 79,000 Maryland. Part went while I was visiting forum members who live near the ocean... Doubt that has anything to do with it though.

Junior
08-09-2009, 11:35 PM
i have yet to replace a shifter because of "pink thingy" failure. so i was curious if these failures have a discernable pattern; model year, build date, mileage, geographic area, etc.
hmmm???

The first one I ever saw was my Mom's '07 300 Touring with less than 10k on the odo.

Nitta's SRT ('06 with probably 90k at the time)

Pop's '05 300C (with maybe 75k)

Vipere's Charger SXT with I dunno how many miles.

Taira's Magnum SXT with I dunno how many.

The rest that I've done were preventative.

I know of at least two others (both R/T's) that broke here in PHX that were taken care of by the owner.

Not sure that heat plays a role, but it sure might. Some of these were in the winter, but the plastic may get fatigued during the summer. I dunno.

fuzzycali
08-10-2009, 11:26 AM
hmmm???

HERE IN TEXAS.THEY ARE REPLACED ALL THE TIME.MINE WENT OUT TWICE ALREADY.
1ST TIME AT ABOUT 3K, AND 2ND AT 15K,THEN I ORDERED THE BT REPLACEMENT.:not_worth

typicalmarine
08-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Luckily for me I already knew of the issue but think about those who dont. You end up with the cost of a tow, replacement of entire shifter assembly + labor and probably rental car fees.

Lxforums saved the day again!

ShadowMagR/T
08-15-2009, 08:28 AM
Mines went this morning when getting ready to work. Was also gonna drop it off at a custom body shop this morning with the for sale sign on it. O well scratch that I guess for now. XD

05 Magnum SXT W/ 56K Miles
Maryland

1FST4DR
08-15-2009, 09:41 AM
hmmm???

Pete,I get orders all over the world!,No BS Japan,Europe.All over the place.When mine finally went I had 23k miles on the car.And its an 06.It happens on all Lx platforms,and
all years.I do not have them documented but I have learned from various converstions
with my customers that its not on one specific model.

bluelinebrotha
08-16-2009, 11:59 PM
For all who have the issue where the pink hook snaps off...I have a terrific fix! I did this today and did not need to tow my car, pay for labor, or buy any replacement parts.

1. First you drill a VERY small hole just before the point where the hook juts out and make sure it is at a bit of an angle as to not crack the rest of the plastic.

2. Tie a small wire through this hole creating a loop for the spring to attach to.

3. Run the springs coil through the new loop (similar to putting new keys on a key chain) and voila!

4. Place the pink assembly back in and make sure the spring is connected on your newly created end, and the black hook end.

I did this in about an hour and saved probably $400 in total with this easy mod. Down the road I will probably purchase the BT shifter fix but for now this works and its FREE!

Good luck all!

willtransco
08-17-2009, 12:03 AM
Yes Beans my Man! Great!!

mopar2ya
09-19-2009, 11:38 PM
Mine broke today. I drilled a hole and used a cotter pin as shown on page 2 of this thread. What a cheap aZZ set-up from dodge. Anyway, it saved a few hundred $$.

h0vit0
09-27-2009, 05:24 PM
just happened to me in the garage trying to work this out

mopar2ya
09-28-2009, 01:15 AM
The cotter pin is really slick....

Jay_MoPar
09-29-2009, 12:49 AM
my pink thingy failed too, should i just toss out both of them (front and back) or just one?

help!

mopar2ya
09-29-2009, 09:23 AM
So long as you dont get rid of the car you can scrap them. If you sold it and someone had an accident as a result, there could be some headaches.....

Junior
09-29-2009, 09:45 AM
my pink thingy failed too, should i just toss out both of them (front and back) or just one?

The one toward the right rear, underneath the rubber cubby, is the override for the brake interlock which hasn't been problematic. The one in front that breaks is the ignition interlock - that's what we're talking about in this thread, and it's the "pink thingy" of LXforums folklore.

Pink Shift Mechanism Thingy Explained - with all the links. (http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=127191)

Jay_MoPar
09-29-2009, 09:11 PM
The one toward the right rear, underneath the rubber cubby, is the override for the brake interlock which hasn't been problematic. The one in front that breaks is the ignition interlock - that's what we're talking about in this thread, and it's the "pink thingy" of LXforums folklore.

Pink Shift Mechanism Thingy Explained - with all the links. (http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=127191)

thats what happened to mine!:spock:

but i got everything replaced today and asked my dodge dealer to give me my original shifter. well the cheap plastic contributes alot i guess and yeah the front one near the P was jammed. had to push it with my finger and the bottom to get it out of P and then it was free to roam about.:bahdumcha:

Hemimagrt
12-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Well we had our CRT do the special thing we all fear! But thanks to this forum, I have performed the magic and threw a cotter pin in for some cheap relief.

bayareamagnum
01-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Not to grave dig here, But this just happened to me and I ran here !!!now Im off to fix it. I am ((Gasp)) gonna have to temporarilly remove the plastic piece of crap to get me to the store. Then the cotter pin trick ! nice job !

wifescar
02-04-2010, 02:03 AM
thank you for the info... it was an easy fix...

prican_2000
03-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Thinking I should do this NOW instead of it biting me in the ARSE!!!!

So subscribing now so I can see pics and find this post later.

THANKS

KHPhillips
04-07-2010, 12:31 AM
First off thank you so much for this thread, a few days ago my husband was driving my 2007 chrysler sebring 4 cylinder to work, he works 1 1/2 away from where we live and the security is so tight that it would take forever to get clearence for AAA to come in and tow, when he called me at work to say my car won't come out of park. Bless his heart he is not mechanically inclined at all, and I happened to have the car manual in the house (long story on why) so he did not know how to override the interlock. After a few minutes of arguing and thankfully internet on my cellphone I found this thread, and with the tiny screen was able to walk him through using a sharpie to move the pink thingy to get it in gear. Once I got home I was able to read this whole thread. I would like to try to fix this myself as A I can't afford the dealership, and my warranty is up. I guess I am lucky in that I have gotten almost 68K miles before it decided to crap out. I am slightly discouraged and fearful to attempt not because I don't think it looks easy enough, but since there isn't a Haynes manual yet, I don't have the resource tools that I would feel comfortable with and with my luck I will mess something up putting it back together that will cause more problems. As I said my husband is not mechanically inclined so he is of no help at all, I had to figure out how to change the belts on my old mazda MPV as he could not. I am comfortable with oil changes and switching out brake pads, because I have a grandfather who was a mechanic and made sure I knew the basics, thankfully, but I have no family with in an 8 hour radius and we are fairly new in town, we live in the Mobile/ eastern shore area of AL, and don't feel comfortable asking for help or even knowing of a decent mechanic in my area who might be able to help. Before getting through the whole thread, I had called the local junk yards/recycling centers to find out that any of the cars with compatible parts, the shifter was already gone. Go figure as this seems to be a common and unavoidable problem. I would like to try the clotter pin, but as previously stated I am nervous about taking the console apart, and not being able to get it back together correctly. What type of tools are needed to complete this project? Any help advise would be greatly appreciated. I have been driving around with a screw driver in my cup holders to get the car out of park, but I don't want to do this forever, also have to make a 6 hour car trip out of state this weekend, and would like to fix it before then. I have never posted a reply to any thread before and am brand new to LX forums, so please excuse the long ramblings of a sleep deprived over worked mother of a toddler, with a huge headache over this mess!!!!! Thanks again for this thread, am glad I found it:-)

kambanis
04-17-2010, 01:20 PM
i have a 2008 sebring-this just happened to me. how do i get the console off? i have to try to fix this myself...ugh! teri

shotjukebox
05-03-2010, 07:47 PM
This just saved me. My 08 Sebring just came out of warranty. I thought I was in serious trouble, and could find no help. Then this popped up, and I had to check. Right on the button. The piece is broke, and the spring is missing. At least I can drive my car again. Thank you very much. With out someone taking the time to walk people through how to fix what the car company's are trying to f us with.

OA-5599
05-03-2010, 08:18 PM
I have been meaning to do this, but after 60,000 miles and six years, wonder if it is an issue with 2006 and later, as mine (early build 2005) has not failed yet. Thoughts?

Mighty Noid
05-03-2010, 08:42 PM
I have been meaning to do this, but after 60,000 miles and six years, wonder if it is an issue with 2006 and later, as mine (early build 2005) has not failed yet. Thoughts?

Oh it will fail and most likely at the wrong time...

There have been late '04 and early '05 models that break...

You might want to do this right away...

I hope that I don't jinx you with this...

Mighty Noid
05-03-2010, 08:44 PM
First off thank you so much for this thread, a few days ago my husband was driving my 2007 chrysler sebring 4 cylinder to work, he works 1 1/2 away from where we live and the security is so tight that it would take forever to get clearence for AAA to come in and tow, when he called me at work to say my car won't come out of park. Bless his heart he is not mechanically inclined at all, and I happened to have the car manual in the house (long story on why) so he did not know how to override the interlock. After a few minutes of arguing and thankfully internet on my cellphone I found this thread, and with the tiny screen was able to walk him through using a sharpie to move the pink thingy to get it in gear. Once I got home I was able to read this whole thread. I would like to try to fix this myself as A I can't afford the dealership, and my warranty is up. I guess I am lucky in that I have gotten almost 68K miles before it decided to crap out. I am slightly discouraged and fearful to attempt not because I don't think it looks easy enough, but since there isn't a Haynes manual yet, I don't have the resource tools that I would feel comfortable with and with my luck I will mess something up putting it back together that will cause more problems. As I said my husband is not mechanically inclined so he is of no help at all, I had to figure out how to change the belts on my old mazda MPV as he could not. I am comfortable with oil changes and switching out brake pads, because I have a grandfather who was a mechanic and made sure I knew the basics, thankfully, but I have no family with in an 8 hour radius and we are fairly new in town, we live in the Mobile/ eastern shore area of AL, and don't feel comfortable asking for help or even knowing of a decent mechanic in my area who might be able to help. Before getting through the whole thread, I had called the local junk yards/recycling centers to find out that any of the cars with compatible parts, the shifter was already gone. Go figure as this seems to be a common and unavoidable problem. I would like to try the clotter pin, but as previously stated I am nervous about taking the console apart, and not being able to get it back together correctly. What type of tools are needed to complete this project? Any help advise would be greatly appreciated. I have been driving around with a screw driver in my cup holders to get the car out of park, but I don't want to do this forever, also have to make a 6 hour car trip out of state this weekend, and would like to fix it before then. I have never posted a reply to any thread before and am brand new to LX forums, so please excuse the long ramblings of a sleep deprived over worked mother of a toddler, with a huge headache over this mess!!!!! Thanks again for this thread, am glad I found it:-)

i have a 2008 sebring-this just happened to me. how do i get the console off? i have to try to fix this myself...ugh! teri

Many of us do not have a Sebring or a service manual for them...

Sorry...

05mgnm4espy
05-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Add me to this list of casualties! Fortunately, I was in my driveway. Thanks for all the tips. One more thing, if you go with the cotter pin, put the spring on first! I learned the hard way!:doh:
For data purposes: 2005 SE with 130K miles

OA-5599
05-17-2010, 09:22 AM
I hate to be a PITA, but in re-reading this, there was a post with pictures on how to remove the part and perform the fix without removing the center console and shift assembly. Unfortunately, the pics are no longer there. Is this possible, and if so, can someone post pictures on how to? I am looking for the easiest way!

Geospeedjr
05-17-2010, 09:18 PM
Shifter crapped out today when I went to leave work and pickup the kiddies. WTF:( Covered under the extended warranty but thinking there has to be something better out there to replace the shifter with than the same old stock piece. I think a Paddle shifter would look nice!!

kwaziekeller
05-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Argh... just happened to me and my '07. After a 14hr night @ work, my bed desperately belting out a sweet serenade... I caught a ride home with a co-worker, and he's gonna take me back a lil early when we go back in this evening. My plan of attack goes like this....

1. Why is a holiday weekend? grr..
2. Screwdriver "over-ride" by moving the cable so I can get home.
3. Remove the pink plastic piece and go from there.... BT, cotter pin, trash bin?!? I'm leaning towards keeping the transmission lockout when the ignition is off, don't wanna make it easier for anyone to steal my car. I'm thinking BT bc while I'm at it... why not order a few other pieces of billet sexyness too right?
4. Beer lol.

OzzieB
05-31-2010, 01:39 PM
Argh... just happened to me and my '07. After a 14hr night @ work, my bed desperately belting out a sweet serenade... I caught a ride home with a co-worker, and he's gonna take me back a lil early when we go back in this evening. My plan of attack goes like this....

1. Why is a holiday weekend? grr..
2. Screwdriver "over-ride" by moving the cable so I can get home.
3. Remove the pink plastic piece and go from there.... BT, cotter pin, trash bin?!? I'm leaning towards keeping the transmission lockout when the ignition is off, don't wanna make it easier for anyone to steal my car. I'm thinking BT bc while I'm at it... why not order a few other pieces of billet sexyness too right?
4. Beer lol.

I feel ya, figures it would have to be on a holiday weekend! Just happened to me at 4am this morning 3 hours away from home. Luckily I had read about this long ago when I used to have a Charger (06 Magnum R/T now), so I knew exactly what to do.

Mighty Noid
05-31-2010, 03:51 PM
Shifter crapped out today when I went to leave work and pickup the kiddies. WTF:( Covered under the extended warranty but thinking there has to be something better out there to replace the shifter with than the same old stock piece. I think a Paddle shifter would look nice!!
Paddle shifters are sweet... but you still will need to shift the car from park to drive...

Mighty Noid
05-31-2010, 03:52 PM
I hate to be a PITA, but in re-reading this, there was a post with pictures on how to remove the part and perform the fix without removing the center console and shift assembly. Unfortunately, the pics are no longer there. Is this possible, and if so, can someone post pictures on how to? I am looking for the easiest way!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QMSBpYThI

pijane
06-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Thank you for saving me a ton of money. I used your idea only using a safety pin. I wrapped the safety pin around the plastic piece, after putting the safety pin through the drilled hole I made in the pink piece. The hole on the end of the safety pin worked great to hook the spring on. I hope more people can save money by seeing this forum. Those people who insist on going to the stealer (dealer), will be making a return trip. You can tell this is one piece that is supposed to break, so the pockets of someone else get more fat. Good luck Chrysler 300 drivers.

Well, I am posting this because I have heard of one or two people having the same prolem, and while most people still have their warranty, you wont have it forever. So if this should happen to you, now you have a way to keep from getting ripped off at the stealership. And from what I saw, this will become an issue at some time or another. I don't know if the shifter is common for all the rt's or not, so i posted it here.

Basic situation: car would not come out of park. It would start fine, but just wouldnít shift. And the shifter felt like it was binding mechanically instead of any electronic inhibits.

After tearing out the trim pieces on the console, I found that there were two pink levers on the shifter.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/kudasai2/cars/101_0086.jpg

I pressed the one on the back(per the factory manual instructions) with no luck. However, there is a larger one on the front which was color coded the same bright pink.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/kudasai2/cars/101_0088.jpg
After monkeying with it a few seconds, I found that I could swivel it out of the way and engage the shifter. This at least got me on my way until I could find a better solution.

Well today I had the time to take it out and look at it. And a nagging suspicion I had was confirmed. Once I pulled the shifter out, I shook it, and two small pieces fell out.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/kudasai2/cars/101_0090.jpg
It seems the large swiveling lever in the front of the shifter works with the ignition lock. It isspring loaded open, and when the key is pulled a solenoid closes, actuates a cable, and pulls the lever to hold the shifter in park. When the solenoid is opened(key back in) the cable goes slack, and the spring pulls the lever open, allowing you to take the car out of park.

And the parts that fell out?

Those would be the spring, and the flimsy plastic arm that broke off. So here we have a spring the size of a dime that can render inoperable a 35k dollar car. Wonderful. Especially since if it fails, it is designed to do just that.

Even better, when I went to the dealer to get another, the guy just laughed and told me that they donít sell that part, you have to buy the whole shifter for 127 dollars. Donít get me wrong, I sadly expected that exact response. I just thought its nifty that only when you expect the worst does a 5 star dealer live up to your expectations.

So I decided to fix the problem myself. I used 20 thousandths lockwire that we use on the aircraft, a small hole in the lever, and a few minutes to put everything back together. The pictures should be self explanatory. I actually spent more time typing this and inserting photos than it took to fix the problem, but felt it well worth it. With the cost of a tow, an hour or more labor to have the part installed, scratched interior parts from them doing the work, and worst case a rental car, you could be out 3 or 4 hundred dollars simply because of a poorly designed 50 cent spring.

So even if it hasnít happened yet, just read and remember. A flimsy as the little plastic arm was that holds that spring, Iím pretty sure that they will be a common problem as the cars start to age.
Enjoy!
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/kudasai2/cars/101_0089.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/kudasai2/cars/101_0091.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/kudasai2/cars/101_0093.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/kudasai2/cars/101_0094.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/kudasai2/cars/101_0095.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/kudasai2/cars/101_0096.jpg

lmhoward
06-11-2010, 08:20 PM
My May 2004 build 300C just had this happen. It's been balky shifting out of park for the last year and it finally broke. The hardest part was getting that darned center bevel off without breaking something. Mine was really stuck at the top. I used a paper clip that I bent and cut like a cotter pin. The 2nd hardest part was getting the console back on. My work place is a dark basement and I didn't notice that the passenger seatbelt was in the middle. Dang I wish I had the eyes of a 20 year old again! Any way, I'm sure glad I knew to search for the pink thingy fix. It saved me lots of pain.

Les

SchatzieII
06-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks/printed pictures/ put in owners manual with a prayer

kwaziekeller
06-13-2010, 08:18 PM
It took me about 45mins to fix in the driveway. Only problem I had (aside from the 95+ degree air temp) was when I tested it after I replaced the pink part, the linkage for the shifter cable will get hung up and not allow it to shift into park (It was not installed in the car @ the time). I put on some other BT stuff as well, since I had to take stuff apart anyways. I was having a problem with the auto-stick not wanting to upshift all of the time but that has gone away too. I'm sure it was unrelated to pink part or new shift knob, and more that I finally cleaned it after a Route 44 grape slush got spilled in it a few years back. BTW... I plan to post an interesting video regarding this pink part in the next few days.... just gotta film it.

kwaziekeller
06-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Told you I'd be back with a video.... not sure of how to embed a video on here, but here is the link... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aMkZDC0AzE

Mighty Noid
06-20-2010, 09:35 PM
-aMkZDC0AzE

kwaziekeller
06-21-2010, 06:19 AM
^ thanks

beto0485
06-22-2010, 12:11 PM
this just happened to me yesterday. got stuck in parking lot after work and was unable to figure out the problem. i pulled up the forum on the internet pulled the cable with a screwdriver and was able to get it home. i have the car stripped at home but havent fixed it yet. i read kudds forum but cant see any pics. anyone have any pics or can email me some info so that i can get this fixed??

Mighty Noid
06-22-2010, 03:32 PM
There are pictures on post #168.... lots of them...

mycotype
06-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Just what I think is needed. Will find out as soon as it becomes obvious as to how to get the console cover off.

mcmillentk1
06-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Thank you kudasai. Our 2005 magnum shifter did not work today (I was lucky enough to be in my driveway). I googled the problem and my husband was able to fix it in under and hour using your pictures. We just happened to have airplane grade lock wire in the garage (go figure). Thanks so much for the information!

pir8magnum
06-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Had this happen to me yesterday. Used the screwdriver trick to get home from where I was (this is why you should always carry a screwdriver in your car!) It was 105 degrees out and I was parked on a small incline so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Anyway, I'm going to go try the cotter pin trick, but I see in an earlier post that someone was able to do that without removing the shifter assembly but the pictures are dead. Anyone got another link to a toot on how to do it that way?

Matt400
06-29-2010, 01:08 AM
A friend is asking me if this trouble & fix is the same on an 05 Chrysler 300?
His will leave him stuck in park at times but not permanently, fiddling around gets it going.

Mighty Noid
06-29-2010, 01:55 AM
A friend is asking me if this trouble & fix is the same on an 05 Chrysler 300?
His will leave him stuck in park at times but not permanently, fiddling around gets it going.

Well once this pink thing brakes... you are stuck...

So if it is not permanently... then it might be something else... but I would change out the pink item with a BT piece asap...

Planeguy67
07-01-2010, 08:59 PM
GREAT POST... The .32 stainless wire will be a perm fix. Thank you!!!

Matt400
07-14-2010, 11:27 PM
We have to do a new shifter on the 300, the solenoid is weak and not available separate. What I wonder is if Chrysler has "updated" the pink thingy on the newer shifters or if I should drill the brand new one and add the cotter key while its out.

Mighty Noid
07-15-2010, 12:29 AM
The newer shifter have a thicker hook for the spring... but I would either buy a BT piece or just drill it... two known fixes that will not fail... EVER... :)

not sure about the new pink thingy...

Matt400
07-15-2010, 12:43 AM
The newer shifter have a thicker hook for the springThanks...good to know.

not sure about the new pink thingy...
That term just what everyone seems to refer to the pink piece that breaks

Mighty Noid
07-15-2010, 01:17 AM
Thanks...good to know.
That term just what everyone seems to refer to the pink piece that breaks

yes that is the term that we use for that item...

moaugust88
07-15-2010, 01:29 AM
You know looking at mine, it has over 60,000 miles on it, it still looks pretty new and no stress on the hook. I changed it anyways but kinda made me wonder how long it would've lasted. But I saw that some other company is making the replacements as well, Dorman I think.

Pug
07-20-2010, 12:18 PM
This just happened to me for the 2nd time a few days ago. The first time the dealer broke it, and fixed it thank goodness - this time I was on my own. Before reading this post, I ripped out the console and shifter and noticed the little pink ring falling out of the housing - figured it had something to do with it but didnt know why. Now I put two holes in the pink thing and hooked the spring into it - voila! Gotta give it to ya, saved me $$$

JLamarJ
07-24-2010, 08:37 PM
2005 Magnum RT. 80K Headed to Bham from Montgomery Alabama this morning. Couldn't get out of the drive way. Shifter stuck in park. Had to drive Wifes Pacifica. Came back to discover these awesome posts and pics. I love you guys. I am no mechanic. Not very handy. I removed all trim, cables, plugs, then shifter. I popped the shifter assembly open and the spring popped out. The broken piece of the pink "thingy" was inside the console under the shift assembly. Instead of attempting the fix or replacing the part I left the left cable unhooked, discarded the pink "thingy" then reassembled. Took me a few hours to stop, start, refer to this site, watch a you tube video, and screw things up. It is reassembled and only have two minor issues.

1) Check engine light came on for a few minutes. Eventually went off. I saw another member had the same problem and is was related to the shifter cable settings.

2) Storage console is loose. The middle console which I rest my right arm on while driving. It wiggles around a bit. I checked and rechecked for snaps, clips, etc but could not find any way to tighten it up a bit.

Any ideas?

This site and it's members saved me big bucks and mucho trouble today.

Many Thanks and God Bless.

can 2
07-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks for posting article!! I was able to fix mine this weekend without having to spend a cent. Very little tools required and didnt take but an hour!! Great write up!!

ABQhemi
08-07-2010, 05:57 PM
just finished mine, I ordered two billet lockouts(one for the magnum and the charger) but I tried the cotter pin and it seems to be working. I think I might run this for a while to see if it works and just hang on to one of them when it comes in.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b133/Albgixxer/Charger%20Repair/0807101527.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b133/Albgixxer/Charger%20Repair/0807101232.jpg

also when putting the radio bezel cover back on I noticed the top didn't sit flush so when I pulled it back off I found the slots had broken and were falling apart, both sides. The came out pretty easy too so I wonder if they were just deteriorating from the heat or something.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b133/Albgixxer/Charger%20Repair/0807101237.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b133/Albgixxer/Charger%20Repair/0807101237a.jpg

so I cut out some plastic to fit behind the slots and glue it on there and then dremeled out the slots. Still waiting to see if it holds...

Jurrassikk
08-17-2010, 11:40 PM
I am new to this forum, Hello ALL!

Well, I have an 07 Charger and just did this replacement because it was stuck in park. I got it fixed and but the car won't start in park. Finally got it to start but on neutral. When shifting to drive, the indicator in the dash says it is in drive but the car doesn't move. I cannot start the car in park. I have to shift it back in forth between neutral and reverse before it starts.

What should I do? Help please.

mopar2ya
08-18-2010, 12:26 AM
Sounds like a harness isnt plugged in perhaps?

Cam
08-18-2010, 12:39 AM
I am new to this forum, Hello ALL!

Well, I have an 07 Charger and just did this replacement because it was stuck in park. I got it fixed and but the car won't start in park. Finally got it to start but on neutral. When shifting to drive, the indicator in the dash says it is in drive but the car doesn't move. I cannot start the car in park. I have to shift it back in forth between neutral and reverse before it starts.

What should I do? Help please.

Sounds like the shift cable needs to be adjusted. Are you sure you tightened it back in the same spot?.

Jurrassikk
08-18-2010, 03:34 AM
I went back and double checked all the connections. Same spot? I just screwed back in. I didn't check to see exactly where it was positioned.

Jurrassikk
08-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Hey guys, I fixed the issue. The cable wasn't pushed all the way in. I just pushed it back and then realized that the original position of the screw was just a bit off center instead (where it should be) versus all the way forward (incorrect position). All in all, I spent about $6 to fix the stuck in park position. Thank you all.

Animal451
08-24-2010, 10:40 PM
I didn't read every post and I'm sure it's been said many times but:

#1) This is the best and most informative web site/forum I've ever been too

#2) Thanks for helping me with this quick fix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:not_worth

E55 KEV
08-31-2010, 09:07 AM
My turn. I got stuck in the parking garage yesterday. Come back to office did a forum search and found out how to shift the car and drive home. I was about to call a tow truck etc. I believe this fix is still covered with my 2005 7 year/70k miles powertrain warranty. I have about 52k miles.

I have not read every post here but if I want to fix myself when car is out of warranty where are the instructions on how to remove the shifter?

Mighty Noid
08-31-2010, 11:26 AM
My turn. I got stuck in the parking garage yesterday. Come back to office did a forum search and found out how to shift the car and drive home. I was about to call a tow truck etc. I believe this fix is still covered with my 2005 7 year/70k miles powertrain warranty. I have about 52k miles.

I have not read every post here but if I want to fix myself when car is out of warranty where are the instructions on how to remove the shifter?

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=127191&highlight=pink

pauljoane
08-31-2010, 05:03 PM
Good job, I think I may just pull the paw out like some one suggested. What could that hurt? Paul

kscuda
09-01-2010, 12:49 PM
After 81,000 miles on my 2006 R/T it finally let go. Came out yesterday and got in my R/T to go pick up my son from work and could not get it to shift out of park. Remembered this thread and popped the chrome trim around the shifter and put a screw driver down to move the cable and it shifted out of park like this thread said it would. Today, in less than two
hours I did the cotter pin fix and it works great. Was carefull and moved everything so I
could do everything in the car. Only electrical connection I had to disconnect was the little
white connection at the rear of the shifter so I could get enough room to turn it on its side.
Thanks everyone that has contributed to this thread as it made it really easy to do!!!!

spitz
09-03-2010, 11:44 PM
HELP!!! I can't re-install properly...how did yall reconnect the cable so that when in park, it goes all the way back in. When i put it back it, the cable has like half inch space from all the way in and the car doesn't know its in park (thus i cannot remove the key).

HELP!!!

Epic
09-14-2010, 05:00 PM
This forum and this post in particular saved the day for me!!! I thought I was having a transmission issue and was preparing for the worst (especially to my wallet) Thanks again!

Drock1111
09-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Hello Gents and Ladies. Thanks for all the help with the Shifter info. I'm not much on fixing automobiles and found this very helpful. Just got back from the hospital with the baby after 4 days and the car would not go into gear. Googled the problem and found this great post. I haven't fixed the car just yet but this post showed me the way to get the car to work until I fix it myself. Awesome job! Baby Maya thanks you too!!!

blknblu
09-24-2010, 08:43 PM
This just happened to me today when I went to drive home from work. Got the bezels off so i could get to the pink thingy with my finger. That got me home. Tomorrow morning I'll be taking that sucker out to implement this fix. Thanks for the pic's!!

nikdfish
10-12-2010, 08:28 PM
I got bit by the pink thingy today ... 1/3 mile from the house at the mailbox for the development. Probably overdue for it with the RT at 5+ years & 114K miles.

I remembered the various pink thingy threads here, so I popped in to refresh my memory. Couldn't find the screwdriver trick in time to avoid pulling out the console while sitting in a very sunny, high 80's location so I could get my fat fingers in to manipulate the pink thingy to get in gear.

Got it back to the house & ended up doing a paper clip mod to Mr. Pink & reassembled. (while taking advantage of the disassembly to run a new input cable from the ipod adapter to the center console) I did have a check engine light pop up after finishing, but used my Superchips box to check & clear it (it was fussing about the gear selector electronics having been disconnected).

No problems now & back on the road.

Nick

ViriiGuy
12-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the write up!! While I had mine apart, I decided to REMOVE the pink thing completely and see what happens. The result... a perfectly working shifter. So I am not sure what the purpose of this pink thing is, other than to break and cost money.

I cannot remove my key while the car is running, I cannot shift out of park unless my foot is on the brake AND the key is out of the lock position. So I am not sure what it does.

fnkychkn
12-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the write up!! While I had mine apart, I decided to REMOVE the pink thing completely and see what happens. The result... a perfectly working shifter. So I am not sure what the purpose of this pink thing is, other than to break and cost money.

I cannot remove my key while the car is running, I cannot shift out of park unless my foot is on the brake AND the key is out of the lock position. So I am not sure what it does.
now you can shut the engine off and remove the key even if transmission is not in park. this could lead to a roll away condition.

ViriiGuy
12-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Gotcha! I will have to check that out. Not that it is a real big issue for us. We are used to manuals.

snowgirlsungirl
01-08-2011, 02:16 AM
I just wanted to thank you! Last night my boyfriend called me to say that he couldn't get his car out of park and was thinking about whether or not to call AAA. When he hung up, I Googled "Chrysler 300 won't shift out of park" and this thread was one of the first links to come up. I called him back and emailed him the link. He was able to access it and followed the directions and was able to get his car into drive and come home. Thank you so much! I see your original post was from October 2004. It's awesome that over 6 years later it's still helping people!

kudasai
01-14-2011, 06:41 PM
well, it's been a couple of years since i traded my magnum in, and i thought i would pop in to see if my thread helped anyone. i'd like to say that it surprised me that this many people had the same problem, but honestly, just looking at the design of it told me otherwise years ago.

i am very glad that i could help people. and i hope it continues to help.

Junior
01-14-2011, 07:34 PM
This thing has a life of its own, man! Well done from the start, and it's still the thread of reference.

Posted via LXFMobile http://media.lxforums.com/images/system_images/mobile/mobile.png

Big Cheez
01-19-2011, 04:21 PM
kudasai ... your the beast with this write up. I just used this thread this past weekend - 1/16/11 and you'd think the engineers at Dodge would have improved this part before my 2007 Magnum got stuck in the parking lot after 79K miles. But of course since this did not break in warranty the $160 shifter assembly is a hot aftermarket sales item for the stealerships.

So after getting stranded, i left my car overnite and happened across your thread. Got the car home, pulled apart exactly like you mentioned, drilled a 1/16" hole in the HotPink Pawl part ... and i used a penny nail thru the hole and fish hooked it for the spring.

Cost me a penny (actually less for a penny nail) and about 1.5 hrs to disconnect, reconnect all trim and linkages.

I posted my "feedback" to Dodge and so far they are not interested in improving the hot pink plastic injected part. So you were right years ago when you forecasted "this thing will become more frequent as cars age."

Thanks again, if your in Phoenix, i owe you a beer. 4Peaks 8th Street Ale at Kiltlifters.... Cheers!

Big Cheese.
(GoPackers)

Forward Look
03-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Finally... some help from Chrysler on this!

http://www.chrysler.com/webselfservice/pdf/K39.pdf (http://www.chrysler.com/webselfservice/pdf/K39.pdf)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
CUSTOMER SATISFACTION NOTIFICATION K39
TRANSMISSION SHIFTER INTERLOCK LEVER

Dear: (Name)

At Chrysler Group LLC, you can be assured that we are changing the way we look at quality. To prove our commitment to quality, the company is investing in and prioritizing improvements for every vehicle that we build. As part of that commitment, we are also targeting existing vehicles on the road today and contacting our customers to provide these quality improvements, at no charge, that will help to improve your ownership satisfaction.

We are recommending the following improvements be performed on some 2005 through 2007 model year Dodge Charger, Magnum and Chrysler 300 equipped with a floor shifter.

Recommended Service:
The transmission gear shift lever interlock return spring hook on your vehicle (VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) may break. A broken interlock return spring hook will result in the inability to move the gear shift lever out of the "PARK" position.

What your dealer will do:
Chrysler will service your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will replace the transmission shifter interlock lever. The work will take about one hour to complete. We recommend that you make an appointment with your dealer to minimize your inconvenience.

What you should do:
Simply contact your Chrysler, Jeep, or Dodge dealer, at your convenience, to schedule a service appointment. Your dealer will collect the necessary information to ensure that the appropriate parts are available so your service can be completed in a timely manner. Although not required, we recommend bringing this letter with you to your dealer, when you bring your vehicle in for this service.

If you need help:
Please contact the Chrysler Group Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403.

If you have already experienced this condition and have paid to have it repaired, please send your original receipts and/or other adequate proof of payment to the following address for reimbursement: Chrysler Customer Assistance, P.O. Box 21-8007, Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8007, Attention: Reimbursement. Once we receive and verify the required documents, reimbursement will be sent to you within 60 days.

Please help us update our records by filling out the attached prepaid postcard, if any of the conditions listed on the card apply to your vehicle. You may also update this information on the web at CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

We apologize for any inconvenience this service may cause to your schedule. Moving forward we are committed to providing our customers with world class quality products, ensuring that you have a positive dealership experience and following up on any issues and concerns that you may have in a timely manner through our Customer Assistance Center.

Sincerely,

Customer Service / Field Operations
Chrysler Group LLC
Notification Code K39

turbovsj
04-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Thank you very much for the post, got me on the road over the weekend till my part arrives... Great Job!

OA-5599
04-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Fascinating, the Customer Customer Satisfaction Notice K39. It states: "We are recommending the following improvements be performed on some 2005 through 2007 model year Dodge Charger, Magnum and Chrysler 300 equipped with a floor shifter."

Nothing in the mail, so I went to the Chrysler website and punched in my VIN, pop-up box stated "No recalls or customer satisfaction notices for this vehicle."

I have a very early build 2005; do you think I "dodged" this problem?

goldsplinter
04-12-2011, 11:50 PM
im having trouble taking the shift cable on the passenger side of the shiftbox out (already unscrewed unplugged the whole console and everything)

Any suggestions real quick?
Do i need my car elevated too?

ResumeSpeed
04-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Here is a copy of the complete 11-page bulletin, with service instructions:

CSN-K39 PDF (http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB_300C_Forums/CSN_K39.pdf)

OA-5599
04-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Fascinating, the Customer Customer Satisfaction Notice K39. It states: "We are recommending the following improvements be performed on some 2005 through 2007 model year Dodge Charger, Magnum and Chrysler 300 equipped with a floor shifter."

Nothing in the mail, so I went to the Chrysler website and punched in my VIN, pop-up box stated "No recalls or customer satisfaction notices for this vehicle."

I have a very early build 2005; do you think I "dodged" this problem?

Not understanding why my VIN was not included in this, I dug around a bit more and it looks like MANY of us do not need this replacement, nor do we need to modify according to this thread, as not ALL Magnums have defective "pinky" shift lockouts.

From the Custom Magnum Forum:

I called and talked to the Chrysler rep for well over an HOUR and gave him the VIN #'s on all SIX of ours and NONE were on the list....???

Here is what I found out!!!!!!!

Chrysler had TWO vendors making the pinky things and ONE vendor is where ALL the bad pinky things came from and they keep the VIN # of ALL vehicles with the pinky thing that came from them. THESE are the vin #'s of the cars with the defective "PINKY THINGS" and NONE of our SIX were produced by this vendor. He told ME..... YOU can bang on ANY OF YOUR SHIFTERS and IF any EVER BREAK on YOU, YOU call my personal extension and I'll personally ADD YOUR VIN # TO THE LIST!

theo82t
06-19-2011, 02:05 PM
i just had this problem last night when i was getting ready to go out to dinner with my wife. Tore everything apart this morning and of course my spring was broken, so i took it out and am gonna make some calls to dealer and see if i can get a free fix or buy a new part. I put the replacement part number in on my chrysler dealer parts page and it says that it is only .84 cents. If all else fails i will just do the cotter pin fix at work tomorrow. thanks for the original post kudasai and helping the rest of us

Mark
07-11-2011, 02:52 PM
I just had the shifter break 2 weeks ago also. 2005 Magnum with 106,000 miles. Same part, same diagnosis - replace shifter. Dodge wanted $400.00 plus towing; local certified mechanic did it for $275.00 plus towing. Called Dodge customer service 2 weeks ago and they stated the Magnum doesn't have a problem with the shifter and that this would not be covered under any warranty or recall. I even emailed and referenced the letter in the earlier post here but they wouldn't do anything. They just now called me back and said to have it towed to the nearest Dodge dealer and let them take a look and then Dodge will get back to me on repairs. LMAO! The car has been back on the road and fixed, now they call and want to look at it?!?! What do they think we all have other cars sitting around to drive until Dodge figures out they have a problem? I referenced this forum but was told we do "real world studies and don't read the internet and there is no problem with the shifters." The guy at Dodge and the 2 others I've spoke with also sound like they are based in India. The guys in Auburn Hills are so disconnected from the real world where there are real problems that real people are having. I'm not sure yet but this may be my last Dodge/Chrysler product.

I must add though they were really nice 2 1/2 years ago when I was cut from my job of 19 years and still had a few payments left to Chrysler Finance. Chrysler was headed to bankruptcy and still let me off the hook for a month as I requested to get things in order. It helped us out a lot as my wife had just had major surgery and we were pinched for a bit.

Thanks Chrysler Finance now tell those Dodge customer service people to get their act together or the last Dodge/Chrysler vehicle in my life will be this Magnum.

James Bruce
07-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Fixed mine in my driveway with a cotter pin 2 years ago. Still great.

Had a similar incident with wife's minivan clockspring recall. It covered up to the year prior to ours and they would not budge. Said there was no problem. Got a form from the NHTSA, filled it out and sent it in. Next year it was covered. I had already replaced it myself so they paid for the part (I kept the reciept) but no labor.

twinspa21
07-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Just wanted to drop in & say thanks to everyone in here. The wife got in the car last night & discovered that the "pink plastic shifter death" had struck our Magnum R/T after owning it for almost 5 years.

So I hit up google & found this place. So glad I did! After spending the evening reading the many kind responses on this forum I got myself a $.05 cotter pin & got busy disassembling, drilling a hole in Mr. Pink, hooking up the spring with the pin, and reassembling. Finished it up this morning & it's good as new!

Thanks again to everyone here, never would have figured it out without your help!

Wizard of Ahs
07-21-2011, 06:20 PM
:doh:I had this happen before joining this foum. Fortunately I had free towing. The dealership charge was $550.00 alone.

SuperChallenger
07-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Nice write up. Always nice to be able to repair rather than replace.

Quick
07-21-2011, 06:47 PM
:doh:I had this happen before joining this foum. Fortunately I had free towing. The dealership charge was $550.00 alone.

Yikes! The pink thingie wasn't a replaceable part (no part#) and the fix was to replace the entire shifter assembly. Shifter assembly cost ~$145? ... + $400 for less than 1 hour labor??

Junior
07-21-2011, 06:56 PM
So I hit up google & found this place.

Curious what you Googled. I've often wondered what non-forum members would search for. We all call it the "Pink Thingy", of course, but you wouldn't know that without have been here already.

So out of curiosity, what did you search for, when you couldn't get out of Park?

Quick
07-21-2011, 07:01 PM
I just tried "can't shift charger out of park". Second hit on the page is lxforums

twinspa21
07-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Curious what you Googled. I've often wondered what non-forum members would search for. We all call it the "Pink Thingy", of course, but you wouldn't know that without have been here already.

So out of curiosity, what did you search for, when you couldn't get out of Park?

I just started typing "dodge magnum wo..." & then google finished it with "...n't shift out of park"

Right then I realized that this must be a pretty common problen for that to be the first autofill that google comes up with. It gave another thread on this forum as the first result & that thread linked to this one.

superman0517
07-26-2011, 09:54 AM
this happened to my wifes charger this morning. good times and its our only car. hopefully i can get it fixed today.

Black R/T Magnum
07-26-2011, 04:32 PM
happed to our Maggie about a week ago. Gotta love LXfourms. everyone is awesome.

I did the cotter pin fix. working great.

Miss Firecracker
08-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Hey there, great thread! I have a 2007 Maggie, with the 5 speed tranny, we did the cotter pin fix, but now I can't "bump shift" the car. Any suggestions? I read through 90% of the thread, but wasn't able to find an answer or anyone else who had the same problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

fnkychkn
08-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Hey there, great thread! I have a 2007 Maggie, with the 5 speed tranny, we did the cotter pin fix, but now I can't "bump shift" the car. Any suggestions? I read through 90% of the thread, but wasn't able to find an answer or anyone else who had the same problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
if you disconnected the auto-stick switch connector, recheck it.

if you disconnected the shifter cable by removing the adjustment bolt, you may need to re-adjust the cable.

Miss Firecracker
08-09-2011, 07:23 PM

if you disconnected the shifter cable by removing the adjustment bolt, you may need to re-adjust the cable.

Thank you! I'll try this when I get home. I hate not being able to downshift my car. Haha!

HotRodz
08-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Thank You, Guys for your input in this forum. My wife had to call me from weekend drill to tell me that she was stuck at the drive thru at the bank and the Magnum wouldn't come out of park. So I had to go to & work on the car at the drive thru, thank God the bank close at noon on Saturday and by Monday I ordered the part from custombilletstore and today my wife is enjoying the car again.

Miss Firecracker
08-15-2011, 10:32 PM

We finally had time to try this... My dad didn't disconnect the autostick, and after adjusting the cable (he marked it with a scribe when he took it apart) it still doesn't work... :(

Any other ideas? I really appreciate your help!

Junior
08-16-2011, 02:03 AM
We finally had time to try this... My dad didn't disconnect the autostick, and after adjusting the cable (he marked it with a scribe when he took it apart) it still doesn't work... :(

Any other ideas? I really appreciate your help!

Are you sure this guy is seated properly? This would be the corner closest to the driver's seatbelt:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o73/itllgrowback/Projects/Paddle%20Shifter%20Wiring%20Kit/IMG_5903.jpg

The Blue/Yellow/Black one is the autostick harness/connector - if that's seted properly, I'm thinking the switches themselves failed (but it would be weird to have them both fail at the same time, unless the wiring got pinched or something).

Wait, didn't Monty have this issue recently? Hang on.

Yeah, here: http://www.lxforums.com/board/f325/shifting-gears-not-responding-shifting-assembly-issues-not-pink-thingie-277662/

See if that seems to be the same as your symptoms or not.

Miss Firecracker
08-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Are you sure this guy is seated properly? This would be the corner closest to the driver's seatbelt:

The Blue/Yellow/Black one is the autostick harness/connector - if that's seted properly, I'm thinking the switches themselves failed (but it would be weird to have them both fail at the same time, unless the wiring got pinched or something).

Wait, didn't Monty have this issue recently? Hang on.

Yeah, here:

See if that seems to be the same as your symptoms or not.

I will double check the connector, but when we checked it last night it was in securely. Maybe I'll try unplugging it, and plugging it back in again.

It's not the same symptoms as Monty... Everything worked fine until we repaired my broken "pink thingy". Even tried readjusting the shifter cable.

You guys are all awesome on here! I'm going to double check all this stuff most likely tomorrow. I won't be home until late tonight.

Thank you!

Quick
08-16-2011, 07:32 PM
I will double check the connector, but when we checked it last night it was in securely. Maybe I'll try unplugging it, and plugging it back in again.

It's not the same symptoms as Monty... Everything worked fine until we repaired my broken "pink thingy". Even tried readjusting the shifter cable.

You guys are all awesome on here! I'm going to double check all this stuff most likely tomorrow. I won't be home until late tonight.

Thank you!

I think if you get the shifter cable out of whack you're going to have trouble getting it into park or into drive type of thing. Shouldn't have much to do with auto-sticking it once it's in drive.

fnkychkn
08-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Firecracker, try adjusting the shifter cable.

move shifter to Park position.
loosen adjustment screw (#5)

https://w05.dealerconnect.chrysler.com/service/mds2002/serviceInfo/en_US/10715.jpg

ensure transmission is in Park by rocking vehicle back and forth.
ensure shifter is all the way forward.
tighten adjustment screw.

truckinfouble
08-17-2011, 05:35 PM
I just want to say thanks to everybody that has added to this topic. My Mag wouldn't shift into park from drive and then wouldn't shift pack into drive. After reading this post I was able to take apart my console and discovered the linkage had come off the retainer....I think that's what all the parts are called...A quick fix that could have cost me a bundle.
Thanks Again

SRT-EZRA
08-18-2011, 09:19 AM
The pink thingy got me yesterday as well. luckily I had read about this before allthough I only remembered the first pink thingy, After taking apart everythink I discovered the forward pink thing broken took it to the dealership thinking there had to be a recall on this by now. Plus had to go in for my fan recall anyways. Theservice advisor says it's going to be $90 to diagnose the problem I said I already did and pointed it out, then they said that would go towards the repair. 15 minutes later they come back stating the whole assembly needs replaced $375 are you on crack? I mentioned extended warranty they called Fidelity and they honored it $100 deductible and I was on my way. Now I realise they did something wrong because when you try to use the autostick it is binding on the plastic cover. I will have them fix this on friday when my fan parts come in.

Quick
08-18-2011, 01:35 PM
The pink thingy got me yesterday as well. luckily I had read about this before allthough I only remembered the first pink thingy, After taking apart everythink I discovered the forward pink thing broken took it to the dealership thinking there had to be a recall on this by now. Plus had to go in for my fan recall anyways. Theservice advisor says it's going to be $90 to diagnose the problem I said I already did and pointed it out, then they said that would go towards the repair. 15 minutes later they come back stating the whole assembly needs replaced $375 are you on crack? I mentioned extended warranty they called Fidelity and they honored it $100 deductible and I was on my way. Now I realise they did something wrong because when you try to use the autostick it is binding on the plastic cover. I will have them fix this on friday when my fan parts come in.

The repair quote sounds reasonable (at least in the past). The shifter assembly is around $150. They have to take out the console to replace it. Probably the better part of an hour.

The reason they just swap out the entire shift assembly is that it's the smallest unit that has (had) a part number. There was no part number for the pink thingie -- not a replaceable part. But I thought I read recently they did a part number for the (upgraded?) pink thingie. which might be white now? And maybe there was some TSB/Notice/Tech memo or something on that. Maybe it's only for particular years or something. I think in 2008 or so they changed the pink thingie to make it a bit more substantial in that area.

turnerdc
08-20-2011, 06:04 PM
I was hit with the pink thingy last week and Dodge quoted me about $430 for the repair by replacing the entire shifter. I also have Fidelity extended warranty (HXP, Gold Plus) and was told by them the shifter was not covered under my plan. I decided against the repair Dodge suggested and ordered the BT replacement piece. Got it yesterday and put my car back together. Shifter works perfectly again and the entire installation was overall much easier than I thought it would be.

mrup2
08-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Jus got this problem tonite. But I have an ext warranty on it. I had to get a tow truck to take it to the dealership. Wtf. Thx for the info. Help

06dodgeRT
09-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Okay, it happened to me 2 weeks ago. I used a screwdriver, after reading this post, to get the car out of park until my new Billet part came in the mail. I paid $39.96 + about $9 shipping. I followed all of the great instructions and it's working great now. But, my radio has been blowing fuses ever since. The fuse blows as soon as I put in a new fuse. I must have screwed a part down on a radio wire or something. I have not taken it all back apart but hope to soon. Any ideas? Thanks.

FLYGYRL
11-15-2011, 06:01 AM
wow I guess I have been very lucky, this happened today luckily I was in my driveway, car wouldnt budge out of park, no warrenty on my 07 charger which I put 113,500 highway miles on, I keep up with regular maitnance this is the first time I had a problem, dodge want me to tow $55 to them and they replace shifter $480.....thanks to you all I will have my neighbor take me to home depot to get a pin and im going to fix myself...hope I dont break a nail lol

Magnum PI
12-05-2011, 04:17 AM
If you look at post #16 in May 2008, you will see that this happened to me. Fast forward to December 2011, and the same thing happens. Must be in 2008 they replaced it with the same 3 1/2 year lifespan pink thingy. Of course I never expected to own the Magnum 7 years, but since it is such a unique car, what could you replace it with? So even though there was the possibility for it to be covered, I just went online to Billet Technologies and ordered their permanent fix. It wasn't too difficult, but I did mess up the cable stops and had to re-install and adjust the cables a couple time. But now, I have confidence that it will never happen again....

I also learned that if you remove the rubber tray liner to the right of the shifter you can stick your finger in the hole and manually press the park release button...

This forum is awesome.
Happy holidays LXforum members! Aloha, Magnum PI

Junior
12-05-2011, 11:16 AM
It's good to see you!

I also learned that if you remove the rubber tray liner to the right of the shifter you can stick your finger in the hole and manually press the park release button...

This has to be the biggest misconception on the forum, and you're not alone in thinking so. But that pink button you can access has nothing to do with the pink thingy that breaks.

I wish they had made them out of different colors of plastic, because they're unrelated to each other.

Quick
12-05-2011, 01:04 PM
If you look at post #16 in May 2008, you will see that this happened to me. Fast forward to December 2011, and the same thing happens. Must be in 2008 they replaced it with the same 3 1/2 year lifespan pink thingy. Of course I never expected to own the Magnum 7 years, but since it is such a unique car, what could you replace it with? So even though there was the possibility for it to be covered, I just went online to Billet Technologies and ordered their permanent fix. It wasn't too difficult, but I did mess up the cable stops and had to re-install and adjust the cables a couple time. But now, I have confidence that it will never happen again....

This forum is awesome.
Happy holidays LXforum members! Aloha, Magnum PI

It's good to see you!

This has to be the biggest misconception on the forum, and you're not alone in thinking so. But that pink button you can access has nothing to do with the pink thingy that breaks.

I wish they had made them out of different colors of plastic, because they're unrelated to each other.

Well... they are both related to shifter interlock :)

One is the break pedal, cable, and pink thingie.
The other is the ignition key position, electric solenoid in the shifter.

The tray liner access to the manual button is so you can get the transmission from park to neutral without any electrical/battery. Like if your battery totally died and you needed to push or tow the car.

1) in order to get the shifter out of park you need to depress the brake pedal at least 1/2" AND have the inignition key in the on position.
2) You can't turn the ignition key back to the LOCK position (to remove it) unless the shifter is in the park position.