LX Forums Forum banner

Should HDR shots be permitted in the photo contest?

• Yes, HDR should be permitted.

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • No, HDR should not be permitted.

Votes: 44 73.3%

Should HDR shots be permitted in the photo contest?

5K views 57 replies 32 participants last post by  Dreadl0ck 
#1 ·
Should HDR shots be permitted in the monthly photo contest?

#4 ·
Simply "NO".

Like posted above, not everyone has the ability to do it and that would put others at an advantage of making their pictures looking better. It will also take away from the theme of the picture. If HDR is allowed then we should let all photoshoping. Taking out some light poles or other cars in the background will for sure help peoples chances of winning.

If photoshoping is allowed then there really isnt any point of a contest because I can photoshop whatever the theme is for that month onto my picture without ever having left my office.

And thats all I have to say about that.

#5 ·
Please define your interpretation of HDR. This should have been done before the voting started. How would you police this? I use in camera functions that layers 3(or more) exposures into one image which is a traditional HDR. However, I can still make a single photo pop without doing that using software anyone can download, and still follow your rules. So, I'm not sure how you can police this, are you going to simply deny any photo that enters that simply looks too good? Should we just all upload pictures shot with low quality mobile phones or what? Not everyone has an expensive DSLR either, which is an advantage over the cheaper point and shoots. I thought this was a "photo contest" where people could show off their photography skills and creativity. I agree that not everyone possesses the higher knowledge or tools, but the same can be said for many things in life. This is like having a car show and limiting mods, halos or paint jobs so the average can compete, that's Not a contest. I definitely do see your point though.

#6 ·
Easy there, killer. You won, and that is not up for debate. You did not do anything against the rules.
You did, however, expose an issue that we have not yet run across. You were the first to submit a photo using HDR technology. I figured rather than simply making the decision to ban HDR from the contest, we could talk about it for a little while and see how everyone feels.

As for your interpretation of what makes a contest a contest, I will give you my analogy.
In the fall of 2010, I showed up at the Modern Street Hemi Shootout event at Atco Raceway. The engine in my car was bone stock at the time, and I beat all but one car in my class, and most of them had done a considerable amount of work to their cars. How did I do it? I took nearly 400 pounds out of my car. I was awarded second place at that event, and then the rules were re-written for the next season to include a minimum weight in the interest of keeping people interested in competing.

Same thing here. If we let a couple guys run away with the prize every month because they are the only ones with HDR capability, then everyone else will stop playing because they feel they are at a significant disadvantage. It is our job as moderators of the contest to do what we can to appeal to the masses. Submissions are down lately, and it will only get worse if nobody thinks they have a shot. I'm not saying fuzzy cell phone pics should stand a chance, but it has been proven that you can win using basic point-n-shoot digital cameras. In my mind, HDR is a whole 'nuther ball game.

#7 · (Edited)
Interesting that this came up as when reviewing the last set up entries for the photo contest, I purposefully didn't vote for the picture that was obviously HDR. Not saying that it wasn't the best picture of the bunch because in all honesty I think it really was, but I felt that by using HDR it gave an unfair advantage in that contest. This is just my opinion.

I believe that what Novawagonmaster is trying to say is that the field has to be leveled in some way. Using HDR, even though it is an "in camera" feature, is still modifying the origianl picture. Matter of fact, it didn't modify one picture but in fact blended 3 (or more) pictures into one which would be against the rules as written. Again, this is just my opinion/interpretation of the rules.

edit: You know which way this poll is going to end up as most people do not have HDR built into their cameras and probably feel that it is an advantage if allowed.

#9 ·
IMO since cameras NOW have the capability built in.........that any image the camera can spit out should be allowed.

limit wins to once a set period (probably already a rule i cant recall)

a BETTER camera will always come along.

i personally dont vote for anything I think has been chopped or enhanced in any way........thats my preference. for me its the composition of the photo not just one aspect/

#12 ·
I know many of you guys are talking about the blending photo thing, however, someone doesn't actually need multiple images to get the effects, a dslr, or photoshop. When I get home I could do the same effect on someone elses photos, using only contrast and brightness, and i'll post it here, following the new rules.

#13 ·
Hell no, it's a contest to see who can take a simple picture not who can geek out and use the features of their camera. If it turns out to be something people are interested in then why not add a HDR month?

IMHO HDR looks like **** anyway but that's just me. Mr old fashioned back to basics, stripped down out for the best raw shot I can steal. No filters, no flash, no BS, shooting available light and experiencing the art of photography.

#15 ·
Hell no, it's a contest to see who can take a simple picture not who can geek out and use the features of their camera. If it turns out to be something people are interested in then why not add a HDR month?

IMHO HDR looks like **** anyway but that's just me. Mr old fashioned back to basics, stripped down out for the best raw shot I can steal. No filters, no flash, no BS, shooting available light and experiencing the art of photography.
No, real HDR looks great. Its the way certain people "cartoon" their HDR images that looks like s**t...

But I agree on using available light and using the camera lens and image sensor to get the best shot w/o any modifications. The shots I've entered in the past were shot, cropped and uploaded (I may or may not have edited the license plate out, depending on how I felt). A couple times, I came close to winning but lost to someone who had a slightly more creative/difficult shot. Of course, thats when we were getting 15+ entries for the contest...

#14 ·
Coopers dad you have a great point about an HDR month I think that would be great for sure. But if we let HDR in every month what is next?

But an HDR month is cool. and maybe twice a year like in March and September designated for HDR months but what does everyone think about that?

#21 ·
So.... when are the DSLR's gonna get outlawed from this contest? I assume someone who owns a nice DSLR and knows how to use it has an advantage over someone with a cannon powershot... :popcorn:
This is a poor analogy. If your basic photographic skills (composition, light management, etc.) suck, a DSLR will not improve your pictures...

#20 ·
Well... sorta.
Voting is done by all members on the site. I have to believe some of those who vote just scroll through and vote for the pic(s) that catch their eye. I highly doubt everybody takes the time to consider all of the subtle touches and how they might relate to the theme. When I was entering, I often submitted my 3rd favorite pic of those I took because I knew it would get more votes than the better pics I took.

#24 ·
Although I don't know how to do HDR (would like to learn), I don't think it necessarily gives you an advantage over any other photo. You still have to look for a great location, get the lighting right, the angles right, frame the shot properly, etc.

Whether or not it should fall under the same grouping of photoshopping. Of course not. Think about the basic definition of photshopping and HDR. When you photoshop something it is usually adding or taking something away from your car and/or background. All you are doing with HDR is accentuating the features. It is no different than someone sitting in a spot all day long for the perfect lighting. I don't have the skill or time to do either one, but I don't think you should restrict the people that do.

When it comes down to whether a photo is "altered" or not, would I be able to use a wide angled lens then? It would produce a photo that changes the composition of the car.

#26 ·
Well I look at it like this.

Anything you can do IN CAMERA, be it a sepia B&W etc setting could be allowed, because in the same instance someone using filters and lenes in a creative manor can get a really different looking image.

Processing AFTER the image I would limit, but this may open a rather large can of worms considering some cameras built in ability.

-R

#32 ·
Well I look at it like this.

Anything you can do IN CAMERA, be it a sepia B&W etc setting could be allowed, because in the same instance someone using filters and lenes in a creative manor can get a really different looking image.

Processing AFTER the image I would limit, but this may open a rather large can of worms considering some cameras built in ability.

-R
Rob, that was my first thought too, but how are we to know if it was done "in camera" versus "in software"? There isn't and there in lies the problem.

#27 ·
Just a couple of thoughts...

As much as I admire and respect the abilities of folks who can create HDR photos... or for that matter, 'shop photographs... it all comes down to manipulating the end result. The Photo Contest has been a venue in which the "average joe" could enter a photograph and compete on a fairly level playing field. Using the analogy of the car show, it's something akin to a "daily driver" class vs. trying to compete against purpose built, show cars.

The rules, as they stand, allow for minimal adjustments to submissions. They place the emphasis on the photographer's creativity in composition and ability to incorporate the subject into the current theme, not on technical prowess.

Perhaps a viable alternative to modifying the rules would be to open up a second "class", or seperate contest, in which there would be no limits on what techniques could be used.... HDR, P'shoppin'... whatever. Not only would it provide for some really interesting entries, but might inspire some folks to learn new techniques.

#33 ·
Perhaps a viable alternative to modifying the rules would be to open up a second "class", or seperate contest, in which there would be no limits on what techniques could be used.... HDR, P'shoppin'... whatever. Not only would it provide for some really interesting entries, but might inspire some folks to learn new techniques.
I like this idea! I am not adept at any photo software and would love to learn and having the ability to try something and see what others think in a contest format and it might bring some interest back to the photo contest.

HDR can be applied differently, be it comic book like (which I dig) or used to enhance dynamic range of the camera to bring out naturally seen detail that our eyes can inherently detect (which most people don't realize is the real reason for HDR existing) which I also dig.
Jim, I had this same thought in my head when reading some responses here. HDR just gives you the ability for the photo to look closer to what we actually see with our eyes versus what the image sensor "sees". We are built much better for seeing in all kinds of light compared to a sensor...

Not really. Did you even read what I wrote? Allow me... "I assume someone who owns a nice DSLR and knows how to use it has an advantage over someone with a cannon powershot..."
That is not necessarily true. You would think that a DSLR would give you the advantage, but it is also how well you know the camera you are using and your own personal skills. I have seen some photos shot with a cell phone that would blow away a photo done with a DSLR.

The camera doesn't make the picture, the person behind it makes the picture...

#30 ·
I think it should be up to the winner who decides for the next month, if HDR is allowed. Otherwise it's post processing, be it in the camera or in another computer, such as a PC or Mac.

HDR can be applied differently, be it comic book like (which I dig) or used to enhance dynamic range of the camera to bring out naturally seen detail that our eyes can inherently detect (which most people don't realize is the real reason for HDR existing) which I also dig.

If it's not explicitly permitted, then like any other post processing (no matter where it's done) it shouldn't be allowed. Camera settings like saturation, speed, etc. are things that can also be done with conventional film, so I am fine with that. My understanding is it's about composition and taking the shot, not creating the shot later.

#34 ·
HDR is not modifying an image. It simply takes 2/3 pictures and compares them (under and over exposure) and creates a final outcome.
Example: The sky from the underexposed one, the foreground from the regular exposed one, and some details from the overexposed image.

An iPhone can take HDR pictures. So if I only have an iPhone as a camera and choose to take an HDR picture I would be eliminated??? I believe it should be used.

#38 ·
I say let em use it... If you do not like it do not vote for it...

#39 ·
I've only toyed with High Dynamic Range photography, but I do adjust the levels of many of my photos to make them pop. And I'm not using photoshop to do it, I'm using Window Live Gallery to adjust levels to my liking.

With that said, I vote no. It's over the head of too many people to figure out.

I don't think there's enough interest for it, but what we need is a no-limits, contest. Stick to a theme, and have at it.

#45 · (Edited)
I vote No....I barely can take pictures but I try my best with just a Nikon Coolpix camera and I can do HDR but only one way with the cartoon effect, I dont know how to do it correctly using 3 pictures and blending them together..I seen some HDR pictures that look awesome and would give others no chance without the knowledge how to do a true HDR. When I enter I look for the best location to match the theme and take a bunch of pic's then choose which I like best..using HDR makes a big diffrence on how the picture looks and of course they look awesome when done right..here is 2 of the same pictures..the fake HDR to me looks better..but thats just my opinion..Maybe like someone said do it every 3 months or so or let the last months winner choose if they want HDR for that month. I like to keep it fair for everyone, it's been working fine for all this time..so I voted no. Like I said I just enjoy looking for the best location and taking the best picture I could

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.