PDA

View Full Version : Seats cracking

matt
03-02-2006, 11:14 PM
Any other cracking seats out there? This June I will have my Magnum two years and should have about 27,000 miles and the driver seat bolster has a network of cracks or wrinkles. They are not all the way thru but I am sure they will be soon....off to the dealer.

My Hemi
03-02-2006, 11:39 PM
My car is a 1 yr 10,000 miles and my drivers seat has the samething i dont think there cracks just wrinkles in the leather im not a big fan of that either .especially because ever other seat looks perfect because im the only one in my car...Now i stopped using it to commute back and forth to work so i think im going to condition the seats and hope that helps......

Lik2race
03-02-2006, 11:41 PM
Seats should be conditioned on a regular basis.. JMO

My Hemi
03-02-2006, 11:44 PM

I do and i tried everything and they still have wrinkles in it i am one for keeping up on my car so i dont think its that...I think its either poor quality leather or very soft leather thats causing this...thats JMO.....

GasGunR
03-02-2006, 11:45 PM
Maybe it is just the impressions of the wrinkly a55 things that are sitting in them?

Try getting something with a very smooth surface to sit in those seats once in a while and see if that doesn't make things look better!

Don

midnight_blue_rt
03-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Any other cracking seats out there? This June I will have my Magnum two years and should have about 27,000 miles and the driver seat bolster has a network of cracks or wrinkles. They are not all the way thru but I am sure they will be soon....off to the dealer.

The bolsters are vinyl, not leather. Only the flat of the seat and back are leather. I don't think vinyl would crack that quickly?

BobF's 6POINT1
03-02-2006, 11:48 PM
I have had multiple cars with leather seats and it has happened on every one of them.

RandomAccess
03-03-2006, 12:09 AM
The bolsters are vinyl, not leather. Only the flat of the seat and back are leather. I don't think vinyl would crack that quickly?

I read somewhere in here that the early models used to be leather and changed to vynl later because they had problems with cracking.

My bolsters are definitely vynl.

ZMagnum
03-03-2006, 12:14 AM
I have leather seats in my 5 year old Durango. Same thing. Totally normal. This has been brought up before. Seemed like the consensus was that it's normal.

sidetrack
03-03-2006, 12:28 AM
I have almost 15k miles on my 18 month old C, and I have one small section of my seat that is puckering/cracking. There are other cracks, but not as bad. I have been cleaning the seats with the Mopar cleaner, as recommended in the owners manual. If I recall correctly, the manual says not to use any conditioners.

http://home.comcast.net/~joey-t/user/image/seat.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~joey-t/user/image/seat1.JPG

Lburou
03-03-2006, 12:32 AM
That is pretty normal for leather....Only thing you can to to save the bolster is not drag your butt against it when you get in :-)

Fondy
03-03-2006, 12:36 AM
you think heated seats speeds up the process??

MooNDoGGie
03-03-2006, 11:12 AM
My car is a 1 yr 10,000 miles and my drivers seat has the samething i dont think there cracks just wrinkles in the leather im not a big fan of that either .especially because ever other seat looks perfect because im the only one in my car...Now i stopped using it to commute back and forth to work so i think im going to condition the seats and hope that helps......

Yeah, you need to sit in the passenger seat every other day to have an even wear pattern.

Hemi31
03-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Every leather seat I have ever had does that.My car does not have the vinyl bolsters either.I use leather conditioner on them once a week and it keeps the leather soft.

snow_mag
03-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Same thing happened on my PT Cruiser Ltd. Never cracked through and dealer never commented on it when I ended the lease.

LX cars should have a heated cloth option.

MAGNUM8R
03-03-2006, 01:13 PM
My Drivers seat is pretty had, comming on 40K miles. I'll post a pic when I can.

I'm betting the Dealer would just laugh at me if i complained about it!

Ikarus
03-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Mopar actually has a leather conditioner for the seats, but they only sell it by the case. I can't commit to spending approximately $80 for a conditioner that I will probably never finish. Maybe a vendor might start offering it sold individually or we can arrange a group purchase, but I am not sure how to deal with shipping.

Hemi31
03-03-2006, 02:35 PM
I use Mothers leather cleaner and conditioner on the Mag and the Denali.It really works well.

Scorpx
03-03-2006, 02:37 PM
I have all leather seats that are doing the same thing. I contacted the company that made the covers for the dealership and they told me just to clean them with a mild hand soap every six months. There seem to be some descrepancy in the recommendations some people say condition and some say just use soap. Maybe do both.

NAS T MAG
03-03-2006, 04:55 PM
I've used these products for 5 years or so. They're expensive, but they really work well.
http://www.leatherique.com/

Rice Eater
03-03-2006, 05:24 PM
@ 15k my drivers seat on the edge closest to the door is totally screwed up w/ tons of cracks! just a better excuse to put a couple SRT8 seats in her!

matt
03-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the spectrum of comments. I will see what my "5 STAR" dealer has to say about all that. If nothing else i will bear and grin it.

Smoke
03-03-2006, 08:30 PM
My driver seat started cracking on the outside bolster (upper seat part) at about 10k. Outside bolster, near the bottom. Dealer replaced the seat back cover under warranty and after an additional 3k miles all is well. I don't think its a normal condition for leather covers to do this in isolated areas unless the driver is wearing clothing or accesseries that rub against that portion of the seat. IE cell phones, belts, blingbling medallions.
Note: Outside bolster was leather.

formerice
03-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Mine are fine with 56,000 miles. Feed em Liquid Glass Connoisseur's Choice protectant. It has mink oil but smells pretty good.

bradkaye
03-03-2006, 09:26 PM
The tag hanging from my seat when I picked my car up new from the dealership stated the leather didn't need any special care and should only be cleaned with mild detergent.

If this were the case, the seats in our 1990 Celica GTS would still be in perfect shape. They're not. The leather is cracked and distressed. I've been treating mine with Meguires' Gold Class leather conditioner, although I too see the ripples in the leather section of my driver's seat.

I'm not impressed with the build quality of this leather interior.

kudasai
03-03-2006, 09:46 PM
aspen can back this one up....

as an upholsterer, i have recovered many leather seats. i only replace daily driven cars with leather when the customer insists. not only because of the cost, but because leather wrinkles like this. eventually it happens to almost every car, and WILL happen to every daily driver there is no way to get around it.

that is why i always go with pvc vinyl whenever i can. it is tougher, cheaper, and i've never had a customer complain of wrinkles. you will usually have to wear out the foam to get it to wrinkle, and even then will most likely wear the facing off before that happens.

the best you can do is keep it clean and soft. wrinkles are a sign of a well loved leather seat. dirty wrinkles are the sign of abuse

Turf
03-03-2006, 11:01 PM
isnt this a "feature" of leather? my leather jacket took years to get broken in so it had that distressed look. same for a leather coach we owned. pvc will keep looking good, but it's hot and uncomfortable after a long drive.

Scorpx
03-04-2006, 02:06 AM
This is true, leather breaks in eventually. Break in means the leather is confoming to the shape it is pressured to (like a jacket breaking in to your shape). For a leather seat, this means the shape of your ass. The wrinkles are where the leather stretched.

rhodyhemi
03-04-2006, 11:07 AM
I would say that wrinkles are normal (every vehicle with leather seats I ever owned has done this) but cracks are not good. I tossed the tag away that said not to use any conditioner away and immediately treated it with leather conditioner. Again wrinkles are normal, cracks are not (jmho.)

RandomAccess
03-04-2006, 11:18 AM
I don't mind natural leather wear... but I'm kinda disappointed that my seats are partially vynl... Part will wear and part won't... With the mix of materials... bolsters with no wear and the rest having some wear... eventually that won't look so good.

JamminWagon
03-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Besides cost this is why I decided to go with the SXT. After looking at used cars for the g/f and seeing how bad the leather seats looked on cars just 5 years old, I knew that I wanted to stay away from the RT.