PDA

View Full Version : Rear sway bar help!!

black&blue
04-02-2008, 02:39 PM
I have purchased the parts needed to install the rear sway bar on my '05 Magnum SXT. I have a compressor & tools at my house but no lift. I think this is a bit over my head without some help. I will do the grunt work but could use some guidance & possibly a lift. I offer food, beer & money if needed for help along with help in return on any future project for others. I have an exam on 4/11 but should be able to do it just about anytime after. Will travel if needed. Thanks

Super T
04-02-2008, 04:56 PM
You don't need the spring compressor. It's pretty simple... I'm not down there but I'll be happy to help by phone. Download the installation instructions from the Hotchkis website (same process no matter who makes the bar)... they're very thorough. It's nothing two guys can't handle. Just make sure you have wrenches and sockets, good jack stands, and a torque wrench.

Rockadile
04-02-2008, 09:50 PM
When I got my Hotchkis sway bars, I was gonna do it myself, but I am not into dropping the entire rear cradle in my driveway.

NC-R/T
04-02-2008, 10:17 PM
If you want to travel to the coast I can help you. (on a sunday because our shop is closed then) . I have pit, lift and floor jack. You really dont need a lift, just a floor jack and some good jack stands. Put the car on a jack stands , then use the floor jack on the rear diff to lower it when you loosen all the bolts.

X E Ryder
04-02-2008, 10:26 PM
....Download the installation instructions from the Hotchkis website (same process no matter who makes the bar)... they're very thorough. It's nothing two guys can't handle. Just make sure you have wrenches and sockets, good jack stands, and a torque wrench.

X2 - the Hotchkiss instructions are good! They don't even have you take off the exhaust, just lower it down on stands.

Be advised you will need at least 53 inches on one side of the car also to put the bar in - it's wide!

You can do it, it is not that hard! Did mine in the garage on stands with a floor jack too.

MySRT
05-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Nice offer Dennis, It sure would be a lot easier then doing the swap in a driveway. Glen let us know when you want to do the swap.

DannyC
05-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Can 1 person do it and how long does it take?

Redfox0099
06-05-2008, 04:04 PM
On the Hotschkis Site it this in the technical section

Instructions for: Item #22101 (http://www.hotchkis.net/files/installation_guides/22101.pdf)

FactoryD
06-05-2008, 04:16 PM
IMO, the easiest way to do it is to find a lift and tranny jack. If you want to do it yourself that is. Some shops will rent you a lift by the hour.

black&blue
06-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Did the sway bar yesterday in the driveway. It took under 2 hours with a buddy helping. The car feels a bit tighter but I like just knowing it is there. Thanks for the replies.

NC-R/T
06-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Did the sway bar yesterday in the driveway. It took under 2 hours with a buddy helping. The car feels a bit tighter but I like just knowing it is there. Thanks for the replies.

Nice going. Its a lot better with two people (one to hold the beer) putting this on. :beerchug:

MySRT
06-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Good job Glen. I am glad you could feel a difference.

ChagaRT
06-23-2008, 06:07 PM
that just makes me want to do mine myself. I already did the front. Its hard to lay on the ground when its 103 out here. Good Job and good to hear everything came out good. Which sways did you have?

Pale Rider
06-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Here's how I did mine...
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=81302&highlight=sway

black&blue
06-26-2008, 12:18 PM
that just makes me want to do mine myself. I already did the front. Its hard to lay on the ground when its 103 out here. Good Job and good to hear everything came out good. Which sways did you have?

I used a sway off a R/T that I got from MySRT. It fit the budget, free!