» Sponsored Ad Left
Increases Production; Set to Open Orders for the Fastest, Most Powerful Muscle Cars Ever
- Due to unprecedented demand for the 2015 models, Dodge significantly increases production for 2016 model-year Challenger and Charger SRT Hellcats
- Plan includes building the remaining 2015 SRT Hellcat scheduled orders at Brampton (Ont.) Assembly
- All unscheduled 2015 model year SRT Hellcat sold orders will be cancelled; these customers will receive discounted 2016 model year pricing
- Dealers will receive details on the full 2016 model year allocation plan in August 2015
- Two allocation cycles to occur – August 2015 and February 2016
- 2016 model year SRT Hellcat allocation eligibility will continue to be based on past Dodge sales performance
- Allocation will be adjusted based on dealers’ average historical Dodge SRT Challenger and Charger Hellcat “days on lot” performance
- If dealers keep inventory moving, they will qualify for February allocation plan
- Dealers will only be able to order their given allocation.
- SRT Hellcat orders open in the second week of August 2015; production starts in September 2015
- New for 2016, both Challenger and Charger SRT Hellcat now feature standard ultra-premium Laguna Leather interior appointments, Uconnect 8.4AN with navigation, HD radio and five years of SiriusXM Travel Link and SiriusXM Traffic
July 27, 2015 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Dodge will soon be opening the dealer order banks for 2016 model year Dodge Challenger and Charger SRT Hellcats, streamlining the process and significantly increasing production to ensure that the fastest, most powerful muscle cars ever continue to move off dealer lots.
“We could not have asked for a more enthusiastic response to the Charger and Challenger SRT Hellcats – it was absolutely unprecedented, but then again, these 707-horsepower muscle cars are unprecedented,” said Tim Kuniskis, President and CEO, Dodge and SRT brands, FCA US. “To meet this demand, we are more than doubling our SRT Hellcat production for 2016 and simplifying the process to make it easier for our enthusiasts to get their hands on the hottest muscle cars in history. In addition, customers with verified sold orders that weren’t built in the 2015 model year will receive special discounted pricing if they re-order in 2016.”
By Patrick Rall, LXForums Editorial Staff
The American auto industry is a game of one-upmanship and in no segment is that more true than among the mighty muscle cars. More than a year ago now, Dodge announced that the 2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat would offer an official figure of 707 horsepower and 650lb-ft of torque. A short time later, we learned that a stock Hellcat Challenger would run 11.20s with the stock tires, 10.80s with drag radials and reach a top speed of 199 miles per hour. 707 horsepower and 650lb-ft of torque made the Hellcat Challenger the most powerful muscle car ever while the stock quarter mile times made it the quickest muscle car of all time. Also, while the 199mph top speed can’t top the 2014 Shelby GT500 Mustang’s top speed of 200mph, that Mustang is gone – leaving the Challenger Hellcat as the fastest muscle car in today’s market.
Shortly after the numbers for the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat were official, Ford and GM fans were quick to talk about how the Challenger was simply getting its 15 minutes of fame, and that it wouldn’t be long before we saw either a Mustang, a Camaro or both with more power and better performance capabilities. However, more than a year later, even with a new generation of the Ford Mustang, Shelby Mustang, Chevrolet Corvette Z06 and Chevrolet Camaro, we still haven’t seen an engine that can come close to truly challenging the Hellcat Hemi.
Ford and Chevy haven’t offered up a rival to the Hellcat Challenger because, frankly, they cannot.
The closest true competitors from Ford or General Motors in the past few years would be the aforementioned 2014 Shelby GT500 Mustang and the Chevrolet Corvette Z06.
The Mustang had a supercharged 5.8L V8 with 662 horsepower and 631lb-ft of torque, making it the most powerful American production road motor ever until the Hellcat Hemi was introduced. The Mustang weighed quite a bit less, giving it a slight advantage in top speed, but the reported stock quarter mile times for the GT500 were in the 11.6-11.7 range with stickier tires getting it down into the lower 11s. On the other hand, we all know that the Hellcat Challenger with the stock rubber will run low 11s and sticky tires will put it well into the 10s. The GT500 didn’t put the power to the ground as efficiently as the Hellcat Challenger, so even if Ford introduced a new GT500 with extra power, they would have to do serious chassis work to allow that new Mustang to get off of the line well enough to outrun the heavier Hellcat.
This was why Ford designed the 2015/2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang to be a road racer – as they knew that they couldn’t build a Mustang that could go toe to toe with the Hellcat Challenger on the drag course. At the end of the day, the best handling muscle car of all time is impressive, but far more muscle car owners go drag racing and the Hellcat Challenger dominates at what muscle cars have always done best.
The Corvette Z06 has the engine that currently ranks second among American production engines, with the supercharged LT4 delivering 650 horsepower and 650lb-ft of torque. The C7 Z06 is the heaviest Corvette ever, but that doesn’t stop it from tickling the 10s in stock form, as it is still way lighter than the 4,500lb Challenger. The Corvette would also soundly beat the Challenger around a road course, but the Z06 is a sports car that is better compared to the Dodge Viper. For General Motors to really challenge the Hellcat Challenger, they will need to put that same LT4 V8 in the Camaro and they will need to boost up the power a bit. The problems with that idea is that GM will not market a Camaro with more power than the Corvette and, even with “only” 650 horsepower, GM has to run a special low performance tune when the... [Read More]
... [Read More] **Dodge Owners - You're Invited**We’ve been invited by the Dodge brand to be their guests, Friday Aug 14th, at the Dodge display directly on Woodward Avenue.
5th Annual Woodward Party hosted by Dodge and the LxForums/ Scat Pack Forums exclusively for forum members!
In celebration of the Woodward Dream Cruise the LxForums, Scat Pack Forums and Dodge are hosting an exclusive forums member party on Friday 8/14/15 from 6-9 pm on Woodward Avenue (13 Mile and Woodward)!
- We will be located smack dab in the middle of the Cruise, directly on Woodward Ave, on the best night of the entire event (Friday)
- We will be feasting on food featured by the world famous Vinsetta Garage (one of the trendiest restaurants in the area for you foodies)
- You will have full access to the Dodge exhibit at the Dream Cruise where you can check out their latest and greatest (can you say “here kitty, kitty”?) and rub elbows with the brass from Chrysler. Latest year Dodge CEO Tim Kuniskis hung out with us as did Richard Rawlings from Discovery's Fast and Loud. This year we are expecting the guys from the TV programRoad Kill (who will be filming an episode)!
- Live Entertainment (the Rock band was awesome last year)
- Guess Girls
- WRIF (radio station) give aways
- Tee shirt (worth $20+)
- Roadkill Celebrities
- Prime car show parking on Woodward Ave
- We are finalizing a bunch of other cool stuff including SWAG and entertainment. Check back here for updates.
Where: 13 Mile and Woodward Ave, see map here.
When: Friday, August 14th, 6 pm to 9 pm
ATTENTION PLEASE READ:
Space is limited to 150 LX/LC/LD only (Dodge) vehicles. Party is open to Forum members and their guests. You will be mailed a parking pass, wristbands, map and instructions. You must have a parking pass to enter (for those of you from the area you know how crazy traffic and parking is on Friday). There is a zero tolerance if you do not have the proper credentials- you will not get past the Royal Oak police.
We are charging $20 per per person so that we don’t get people signing up to save a spot and then flaking out. I know this is more expensive this year but this price still does not cover our costs (It has taken me so long to post because we've been working the price down). I'll be taking care of the balance.
There are 2 steps to sign up:
1) Go here to register (if you have trouble with the form send me a PM and I will get you access. Site supporters had some issues last year)
2) Go here to pay your $20 per person. (this is per person)
Welcome to our newest LX Enthusiast, scatzilla
» LxForums Classifieds
» Sponsored Ad